Hello Guest

Author Topic: John Deere 2720  (Read 9854 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: John Deere 2720
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2017, 03:37:25 PM »
I think he's holding out with the plastic to do less damage to the other stuff... :rolleyes:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline South_GA_redneck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
Now for one of these:
I'm not real impressed with case equipment. Under powered in my opinion. We have 2 payloaders the same size. Case and John Deere. The Deere blows the case away. Our neighbors have a bobcat skidloader the same size as our Case. No comparison. I don't have anything to compare the mini excavator to but I feel like it should have more guts than it does.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Deere, Case, it all breaks down. The trick to case is to turn up the injection pump, the engines can handle a lot more than the factory HP setting.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2017, 09:02:10 PM »
Oh yea they all break.

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »
SGR, is it hard to turn them up? I have a 50hp New Holland, which looked identical to the Case 50hp, and I think the pressure is a bit low on the loader end. I can stick the bucket with just dry dirt sometimes.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 09:27:14 PM »
Ken I think he was talking about the engine injectors and power.  There are ways to shim the pressure relief on the hydraulic pumps to get more pressure to the cylinders.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline South_GA_redneck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2017, 09:42:47 PM »
The Case and the New Holland are the exact same machine, kinda like Ford Lincoln Mercury. The newer machines with all the emissions and computers aren't as simple as the older ones. On the old machines your injection pump and hydraulic pump both have adjustment screws on them somewhere  (lots of different manufacturers) kinda like a carburetor. A word of caution though, the settings are VERY sensitive, a sixteenth or eighth of a turn one way or the other will get you a big increase or decrease in PSI. I'm nowhere near a master mechanic btw, I just know enough to tear stuff up and reassemble it.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2017, 09:47:14 PM »
Shoot, I read that wrong. I really don't have an issue with power, but good info to have.
I've heard of shimming, but lack any experience...
..with my luck,  more pressure will cause more leaks. maybe I should leave it alone.,

edit: but if it's just turning a screw........

Offline South_GA_redneck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2017, 09:57:19 PM »
It's been a long term since I've done it, the problem with adjusting injection and hydraulic pumps is they are expensive... I have broken 10k psi gauges by half a turn too much on hydraulic systems that normally run 3500 psi.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »
So Ken on my Kubota, adding a shim the relief valve is the method.  I assure you that if you search for a forum you'll find it and along with it detailed infomation on how to do it.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2017, 12:00:22 AM »
You tried it? I do have a couple of high pressure gauges to keep things "safe".

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2017, 06:25:30 AM »
I havent done it yet.  My loader hasnt given me a reason to yet.  But it is well documented on orange tractor talk.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2017, 07:59:04 AM »
Ken,  what model/ year NH do you have?  I am hoping to purchase a CUT this fall.  I am tired of trying to push snow with the atv/ plow setup I have.  I will be looking for something a little older without the emissions.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2017, 11:46:41 AM »
I had to go look, it's a 2008 T2330. It was their 2nd largest compact available at the time. It's old school everything, and pretty large for still being a compact (class 1)....12 speeed manual, etc. Been super happy with it, other than the loader being a bit underpowered.

Sent from a spaceship

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »
Is that 12 speed 3 speed ranges with a shuttle shift?  I personally don't have a problem with shifting gears but I need something my wife can easily operate if I'm out of town and a snow storm hits.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »
It is interesting to see some of the upgrades that you get with the 2720 compared to my 2320.  Obviously more HP, but also the heavier rear axle setup, and two fuel filters?  I only have the lower clear one.  That mower deck surprised me though.  I thought they all had drive over decks.  Maybe that is only in the smaller sizes?  Not sure.  I almost bought a new take off deck for mine, drive over, it was only 54".  My old 430 has a 60" deck, which I was thinking about selling if I bought the deck for the 2320.  But just can't see getting a narrower deck.  72" however, if I found one locally I would have to buy it.  Could you measure the clearance on yours from the bottom of the deck to the ground when it is all the way up.  Just curious if it will be in the way a lot or only a little when using the tractor for other things.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »
Whoa! Looks like this thread has got back on topic...
Don, maybe it's not a write off after all!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
It is interesting to see some of the upgrades that you get with the 2720 compared to my 2320.  Obviously more HP, but also the heavier rear axle setup, and two fuel filters?  I only have the lower clear one.  That mower deck surprised me though.  I thought they all had drive over decks.  Maybe that is only in the smaller sizes?  Not sure.  I almost bought a new take off deck for mine, drive over, it was only 54".  My old 430 has a 60" deck, which I was thinking about selling if I bought the deck for the 2320.  But just can't see getting a narrower deck.  72" however, if I found one locally I would have to buy it.  Could you measure the clearance on yours from the bottom of the deck to the ground when it is all the way up.  Just curious if it will be in the way a lot or only a little when using the tractor for other things.

There are a lot of different deck options out there. Most of them are now drive over.  Unless you get the same exact deck as Don having him measure clearances on a different tractor isn't going to do you much good.  62" drive over deck would be a pretty common deck size/ combination for you.  That deck Don has looks like an older deck, I'm not sure which one it is.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2017, 12:45:29 AM »
Yeah Bear, shuttle shift. I liked how easy the hydrostatic one's were to use, but I wanted longevity, and the dealer said the hydro style didn't hold up too well past 40 HP. (I don't even think that was an option on the 50hp NHs

Sent from a spaceship

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:23:48 AM by KensAuto »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2017, 10:41:24 PM »
Now for one of these:
I'm not real impressed with case equipment. Under powered in my opinion. We have 2 payloaders the same size. Case and John Deere. The Deere blows the case away. Our neighbors have a bobcat skidloader the same size as our Case. No comparison. I don't have anything to compare the mini excavator to but I feel like it should have more guts than it does.

Deere, Case, it all breaks down. The trick to case is to turn up the injection pump, the engines can handle a lot more than the factory HP setting.
Could you point me to an instructional vid or manual telling me how to do that

It seems way low on power, and that motor runs like a sewing machine!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2017, 09:56:19 AM »
Now for one of these:

Could you point me to an instructional vid or manual telling me how to do that

It seems way low on power, and that motor runs like a sewing machine!

Am I the only one who thinks a fuse was just lit here?

:popcorn:

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2017, 10:22:02 AM »
Keep in mind that there may have been a reason the hydraulic power was limited.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2017, 10:31:26 AM »
Keep in mind that there may have been a reason the hydraulic power was limited.
It's not the hydraulic power but the engine power

This thing is way old school...First diesel engine after the steam age and all that

It is a 451 cu in diesel engine, non-turbocharged that makes an anemic 105HP.

Once an operator was in the shop looking over my tractor. He said "You can turn these up to three hundred horsepower and run them. Considering the enormous gears in that thing and it's making less than three hundred ft/lbs of power, it's way-way underrated. Made that way so that in OSD (Old school days) it would last 15,000 hours. For occasional farm use like I do, I don't need 15,000 hours, I need raw power. It will already spin both tracks when pushing sometimes, but pushing and lifting at the same time can almost stall it or hit the limit of the bucket lift real quick.

I have wanted to turn that pump up, and install new injectors for a long time, but I do not know that injection pump.

I did this with an old school, pre turbo charged 7.3 Ford diesel engine. I would go one flat on the screw, then drive it for a week to evaluate. It just kept running better and better and so forth and never broke anything.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2017, 09:43:10 PM »
I have been using the little tractor some. I have realized the maximum potential of the front bucket on a bunch of occasions. I will have to pay attention to what I am trying to lift. A thousand pounds is not all that much.

I picked up a harbor freight quick attach 3-point mount, since I'm probably going to switch off some varied tools out back

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
I was shocked at the price of the quick hitch at the JD store...$379!!!!!!!!!

On line I found a bunch of them from $145 up to around $250

Then I noticed the harbor freight hitch looked approximately the same as the others and it retails for $99.

I went there, 20% coupon in hand and walked out the door with the thing for $84

It seems OK for lightweight cat 1 stuff. It's not as robust as the JD offering to be sure, but I think it will work out fine

Here it is shown hefting about 1,000 pounds

Offline South_GA_redneck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2017, 10:25:26 PM »
Well, ....I probably shouldn't say this but JD green equates to how deep your pockets are. On a side note JD rattle can is 4.79 a can.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2017, 10:28:35 PM »
Well, ....I probably shouldn't say this but JD green equates to how deep your pockets are. On a side note JD rattle can is 4.79 a can.
I know!

I have recently added some 1 Oz. bars of pure John Deere green paint to my gold and silver in the safe deposit box. That green stuff diversifies my holdings!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2017, 10:50:49 PM »
Well, ....I probably shouldn't say this but MY WIFE HAS THOSE SAME SANDALS

Fixed it

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2017, 10:51:23 PM »

Fixed it
Smart girl!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2017, 11:01:43 PM »
You griping about that little baby tractor only lifting half a ton on the bucket end?  :facepalm:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2017, 11:05:17 PM »
You griping about that little baby lawnmower only lifting half a ton on the bucket end?  :facepalm:

TFIFY  :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2017, 11:15:35 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :beercheers:

Offline South_GA_redneck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2017, 11:19:17 PM »

Fixed it
Thanks! That's what I meant to say.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2017, 11:50:30 PM »
Its all in the color,,,,,,,,

Funny thing is I got a winch mount from Summit for $24, the same was $50 at HF.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal