Hello Guest

Author Topic: Equipment Trailer Build  (Read 15883 times)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
Equipment Trailer Build
« on: April 05, 2017, 01:33:02 PM »
I picked up a 16 ft "car hauler" a couple years ago when we were remodeling the house.  At that time I really just needed something to get 20 ft lumber and loads of other building materials the 10 mile round trip from the store.  With that project done I am wanting something that I can safely trailer equipment/ vehicles down the highway. 

The trailer I purchased is not up to that challenge.  It is obviously a home-made trailer.  The axles are re-purposed mobile home axles, coupler is not heavy enough, overall build quality of the trailer is not great and some areas would need re-enforcing.  I had previously purchased a set of take-off camper axles rated for 4500 lbs each I think.  The plan was to install these under the current trailer and fix it up some to make it work.  The more I evaluated the trailer, the hours of work and amount of material required the less ideal the situation became.  Coupled with the fact even after re-working the trailer it would still have some drawbacks I decided to change route. 

I will re-use the camper axles I picked up and build a new trailer around them.  I have modeled everything up in CAD beforehand to get the most of my materials and reduce the amount of had scratching time during the build.  The plan is to build a 16 ft equipment type trailer with a 30" dovetail.  The main frame and tongue will be 5" channel with 3" channel cross-members on 19.2" centers.  19.2" centers comes out on 8'. 

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment Trailer Build
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 01:38:03 PM »
This morning I ordered my steel material list:

65' of 5" channel for main frame and tongue
100' of 3" channel for cross members
45' of 2" x 3/16" angle for tying down decking and other various things
40' of 2" x 1/4" angle for ramp material
20' of 2-1/2" angle to create ramp storage
20' of 2-1/2" x 1/4" flat for a rub rail
8' of 6" x 1/4" flat for a rear bumper

Total for steel should be under $600.

They have some of this coming in on a truck tomorrow so I should be able to pick it up Friday.

I also ordered some other components.

New axle hanging brackets and supporting hardware
Adjustable 2-5/16" coupler
3" channel for attaching coupler
5,000 lb jack
Brake lights
Clearance lights
Steel stake pockets
New tires, valve stems and lug nuts

All these material will start showing up the end of this week through the beginning of next week.

I had picked up 4 older 15" wheels earlier for cheap that I plan to sandblast and paint to mount the new tires on.

Decking material will be picked up when the trailer is ready for it to be installed.

All in I expect to be right about $1500 for materials for the build including axles, wheels, tires and decking.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:41:04 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 02:01:18 PM »
why 15" instead of 16"...?  if I remember correctly, there is only one manufacture that makes 15" load range E tires and they want an arm and a leg for 1?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
why 15" instead of 16"...?  if I remember correctly, there is only one manufacture that makes 15" load range E tires and they want an arm and a leg for 1?

Correct, real trailer don't run 15" tires.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »
15" load E is common with plenty of options.  I actually probably could have went a little cheaper and got away with D tires.  The tire ratings on the D in this size would be right at the top end of what the axles are rated for.  But it really wasn't that much more to bump up to the E and play it safe.

Plenty of the bigger trailer manufacturers are specing 15" wheels with there 10,000 lb trailers.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 02:25:11 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 03:00:02 PM »
I'll second what Bear said.
I found several options in E rating when I upgraded/replaced my old camper.

I think when you jump to the 5-6000 pound axles you run into the weight limits on 15" wheels.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 04:15:31 PM »
guess things have come along a bit since I last owned a trailer with 15" tires
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »
guess things have come along a bit since I last owned a trailer with 15" tires

Me too apparently, wheeling buddy of mine had a tri axle with 15's & if that trailer breathed on a curb he was swapping tires. I think we once changed 3 tires on a 5 hour trip once.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 07:30:57 PM »
My travel trailer has two axles and  15" wheels tires and has GVWR around 11,000 lbs. Too much work and money to make room for 16's and better tires, but like said above, lots of brands on the market now that supply E range ST in 15". As for curb damage, ST tires are not going to hold up to curbs, deep wide pot holes, large rubble surfaced roads, or  any larger debris in the roadway. They are not rated anywhere near the same as an LT tire because they don't carry people. The ST tires are carrying weight near their limits and without the reserve weight they just do not hold up. If the trailer comes with or has room for 16" tires then upgrading to an LT tire is an option.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »
5k jack seems a little light..I would go with at least an 8k. If you ever have to unload from your truck with something heavy on the trailer, and you haven't kept the screw oiled (like most people), you'll apreciate it. Just my opinion bud.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 07:51:06 AM »
5k jack seems a little light..I would go with at least an 8k. If you ever have to unload from your truck with something heavy on the trailer, and you haven't kept the screw oiled (like most people), you'll apreciate it. Just my opinion bud.

I guess my reasoning for only needing a 5k was I would likely never have more than 2k and likely closer to 1k of tongue weight if loaded properly. 

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 08:01:01 AM »
First few items showed up already today.  Got the 5k jack, lug nuts and coupler and channel to mount the coupler.

The coupler is a 14K Curt.  Looks like it is built strong enough.  My only complaint and I expected this based on the reviews is how it fits loosely inside the channel.  I am hoping I can fit a couple washers in that gap to tighten it up nicely.  I will have to run to the hardware store and a grab a handful.  If they fit I will tack the washers right on to the coupler so they stay in place and repaint.  I will probably also buy a couple shorter bolts.  The ones it shipped with are an inch longer then they need to be.  Wouldn't be an issue with a normal nut but they also sent a mechanical style lock nut and I don't want an extra inch of thread to wrench off and on again if I want to adjust height.

I also started to clean the wheels up last night.  Here is what they looked like before I started.  Some surface rust on them but still solid wheels.

After spending a little time with the sandblaster.  I just have a small sandblaster for smaller projects but it works good for things like this and saves a lot of time and does a better job then a wire wheel.

And with a coat of primer on them.  I just got the first 2 wheels done.  Hoping to get to the other 2 tonight.  The tires I ordered should show up today and I would like to get them mounted.

Hooked the old trailer up to the truck last night and drove it in to work today.  Will be heading to pick up all my steel after work today.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:35:45 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 08:28:06 AM »
Looking good. Little wire wheel burn for chief...
That is a lot of gap in the hitch. Hope the washer is a solution.
Definitely be nice to have it tight.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 08:39:18 AM »
Looking good. Little wire wheel burn for chief...
That is a lot of gap in the hitch. Hope the washer is a solution.
Definitely be nice to have it tight.

I'm sure one will fit.  Hoping I can get one on each side.  I might need to do a little material removal to get two to slide in.  I want to get a nice tight fit so I get a little clamp on it when I torque the bolts down.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 08:40:54 AM »
For sure. Nothing worse than a rattling hitch.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 09:05:15 AM »
Grade 8 bolts & 1/2" impact won't tighten up that hitch? It's just a formed plate channel, enough force should move it to tighten up. As for the construction of it I would rather have it a bit loose than to tight when assembling, just saying.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 10:15:31 AM »
The bolts are located fairly close so the bend so not much mechanical advantage to tighten it up.  I'm sure a good impact could do it, but chances are I won't have one handy if I want to adjust coupler height.  A couple washer shims so it is a tighter fit soI don't have to deform the channel as much will make it easier to tighten up when just hand tools are available.

And I agree.  In this case I would prefer a little loose over to tight.  But I also know the standard tolerances I would expect from the channel bend and that coupler weldment.  I think a better fit should be possible without the chance of interference. 

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
Do the wheels have a PSI rating stamped on them?  "D" tires at 65lbs should be fine but if you upgrade to the E's at 80lbs PSI the wheels might object at some point if they aren't rated high enough. It is good however to have the extra weight reserve the E's will give you.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »
Do the wheels have a PSI rating stamped on them?  "D" tires at 65lbs should be fine but if you upgrade to the E's at 80lbs PSI the wheels might object at some point if they aren't rated high enough. It is good however to have the extra weight reserve the E's will give you.

I looked after sand blasting them but couldn't see anything that resembled a weight rating.  I did notice what I thought was a date code.  I will take a look again when I blast the last 2.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 08:18:15 AM »
Picked up my steel for the project tonight.  I also grabbed some steel tubing for a coworker since I was making the trip.  I figured about a ton of steel in total.

When I got home I had some more stuff waiting for me.  The tires were stacked up outside.

And all my lights also arrived.

Not much else happening last night and this morning.  Get ready for am Easter brunch at our place for my wife's side.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:36:40 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 11:28:35 AM »
Finished cleaning the wheels up Sat PM and painted Sun AM before church.  Finished product looks much better then before.  The paint job isn't perfect but plenty good for trailer wheels.

After church I started cutting steel to length.  For the most part everything is cut to length and ready to be assembled.

Should have some time tonight to start building the main frame rails up.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:37:02 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »
Is that a custom welding table I see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »
It's not as high quality as some of the custom welding tables on here but it gets the job done.  At one point in its life it had a nice oak veneer top.  That was long ago charred off.  You just got to make sure you lock the legs out square before you drop to much weight on it.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 11:17:17 PM »
It's not as high quality as some of the custom welding tables on here but it gets the job done.  At one point in its life it had a nice oak veneer top.  That was long ago charred off.  You just got to make sure you lock the legs out square before you drop to much weight on it.

Without some good cardboard for the welding surface, how are you ever gonna keep things straight?
;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 02:49:29 AM »
I like the sand blaster better than a wire wheel too. But you can't always get things in the cabinet. Did a frame outside once, but wouldn't try it here.

Wheels look good. What paint did you use?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 07:20:54 AM »
I just used rustoleaum paint in rattle can for the wheels.  With the right prep I have always had good luck with it.  Got a couple of the extra large cans on sale last week.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 07:26:21 AM »
Cardboard is reserved for tasks such as mounting tires.  Got all 4 mounted last night.  It took a bit of work to get the bead to seat on a couple of them.  Had to get a ratchet strap out for 2.  After struggling with the first one for a while and then remembering to take the valve stem out and just using the hose coupler straight without a valve the rest didn't go so bad.

First one mounted and up to pressure. I set pressure to 70 psi for now and will check them for leaks/ adjust later.

All 4 done and ready to go on the axle.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:38:08 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 02:41:31 PM »
You didn't paint the wheels with the tires in? Your doing everything all backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 08:29:58 AM »
Last of the stuff I ordered showed up yesterday. 

All the axle hanging brackets and hardware etc..  This stuff came just in time as I was hoping to weld the hanger brackets on to the frame rail before building the frame structure.  I want to weld these on first so I don't have to do any upside down welds.  I could do it but this will assure the welds are good.

And the stake pockets.  These will be welded on the side and a couple on the front of the trailer.

After un-boxing some parts I test fit the wheels on the axles and confirmed a few measurements including spring perch width and inside to inside of tire.  New wheels/ tires are mounted up with the new lug nuts.  I opted to spend a little more for a capped lug nut to keep the exposed threads covered and out of the weather.

I needed to watch my little girl last night while my wife was out doing other things for a while.  Decided to take her shopping for a few more needed items.  Picked up a couple feet of 5/16 G70 chain, hooks and chain links for the safety chain set-up.  Then headed over to the trailer area to grab a RV style electrical connector.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:38:48 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 09:19:43 AM »
 :likebutton:

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 08:15:22 AM »
Got some welding done yesterday.  Started with getting the main frame rails welded up.  I had to put a little jog in them to get around the tires.  The axle I have has a little narrower wheel base then I would like.  I full sized truck should just barely fit between the wheels but I wanted the deck a little wider.

Both left and right rails welded up and set-up for cross-members:

In my excitement to get the cross-members in place I almost forgot I was going to weld the hanger brackets in place first.  So I flipped the rails over and located the brackets. As a little note.  For the best welds it is always a good idea to weld on bear metal.  For all the main frame and axle hanger welds I took a grinder to them and removed all the pickling and scale first.   Ready for a hanger bracket.

Then I flipped the rails back over and set width. Placed the first and last cross-member, squared and braced it in place.

Started fitting cross-members then.  I devised a couple jigs to help locate them a little quicker.  Here are a couple shots of all the cross-members in place.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:39:35 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »
With the last cross-member in place and half welded my wire ran out.  Luckily I had thought ahead and picked up an extra spool of wire a few weeks ago.  Generally I just get a 44 lb spool from airgas but the prices just seemed ridiculous.  Last time I was in there just after the holidays I spend $99 for a 44 lb spool.  It was $80 and plus a hazmat charge.  I asked why there was a hazmat charge for just a spool of wire, I wasn't getting any gas that day.  No good answer.  So I did a little searching and found some stuff on Amazon to try out.  I payed less than $70 bucks and it was shipped to my door.  From the little bit of welding I did last night it seems like some really good stuff.  Appears to weld a little nicer than the Airgas stuff I was using.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 08:33:25 AM »
I just got a new 24Ft equipment trailer a couple months ago.  I went with 82" but the fenders are removable to give me extra width for loading if I need it.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
I just got a new 24Ft equipment trailer a couple months ago.  I went with 82" but the fenders are removable to give me extra width for loading if I need it.

I'm 83" outside to outside on the main rails and 75-3/4" on the rails the axles are mounted on.  That should be fine for loading most equipment and cars.  I also plan to make the fenders removable which should give me about 80" between the tires.  A full size truck should fit between the wheels as long as the tires aren't to large/ offset.  A few 2x6s with the fenders off should get me over the tires if needed.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 10:01:39 AM »
Looking good Bear. Nice progress. Are you going to gusset the angles where you jogged in for the axle width?
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
Jogging the main frame rails in doesn't worry you at all? I realize it's not that heavy duty of a trailer but the way a trailer flexes from the hitch to the rear the main frame rails can move. A simple explanation is if you have ever looked at an aluminum flat deck semi trailer. They have a ton of camber built in and unloaded almost frown front to rear. Load them down fully & they are almost straight. My concern is that you have two weld joints each side that will not flex. So what may happen over the long term are at first stress cracks and then the steel to start tearing. Probably wouldn't happen all at once. It will take time & stress to kill it. We used to tear the front a-frame from the front of our bumper pull deck over steel hauling trailers. They would always fatigue right where the a-frame hitch came out from under front of the deck. I fixed & reinforced many, they all survived a long life after the fix. So with all that stated I would be keeping an eye on that area from time to time. I also wouldn't over gusset it from the start myself. I would run it & see how the metal fatigues if at all then address it as needed. This way you are not adding extra weight where it's not needed. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
Looking good Bear. Nice progress. Are you going to gusset the angles where you jogged in for the axle width?

I didn't gusset it as you are thinking.  After welding the corners I welded a piece of angle in to reinforce the corners.

Jogging the main frame rails in doesn't worry you at all? I realize it's not that heavy duty of a trailer but the way a trailer flexes from the hitch to the rear the main frame rails can move. A simple explanation is if you have ever looked at an aluminum flat deck semi trailer. They have a ton of camber built in and unloaded almost frown front to rear. Load them down fully & they are almost straight. My concern is that you have two weld joints each side that will not flex. So what may happen over the long term are at first stress cracks and then the steel to start tearing. Probably wouldn't happen all at once. It will take time & stress to kill it. We used to tear the front a-frame from the front of our bumper pull deck over steel hauling trailers. They would always fatigue right where the a-frame hitch came out from under front of the deck. I fixed & reinforced many, they all survived a long life after the fix. So with all that stated I would be keeping an eye on that area from time to time. I also wouldn't over gusset it from the start myself. I would run it & see how the metal fatigues if at all then address it as needed. This way you are not adding extra weight where it's not needed. Just my 2 cents.

I drew a few free body diagrams before hand to better picture how I thought the forces would react and I'm really not concerned.  If the trailer was handling 10,000 lbs regularly I might be, but then again I would have went with 6" channel instead of 5".

The jogs really do not change the static loading of the frame.  When looking  at a cross section side view the as you described there will only be a couple inches of the frame impacted.  You are correct that this will create a stress concentration.  The big difference between your situation and mine is the location.  My stress concentration will be very near the front axle hanger bracket.  This may sound worse but in fact is better because there is less of a moment occurring on this point and less deflection.

Obviously it is still an interest point and I will keep an eye on it.  As you stated it should not fail catastrophically. Stress cracking would probably start forming on the main outside rail just in front of the welds where the jog enters first.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 09:09:23 PM »
So far so good.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2017, 11:18:18 PM »
Stuck the axles and wheels under it tonight.  First I had to weld new spring perches on the axles.  Picked each perch 2-3/4" out on each side.

Started out by removing the spring hardware and springs.  Cleaned up the axle and welded the new perches on.  I used the old perches to fixture them to some extent and checked my center to center measurement before welding them on solid.

Then reattached the springs.  Lined everything up and was quite pleased on how everything lined up very nicely.

I wanted to get this done tonight to check tire clearances and deck height.

Still haven't decided on if I'm going to do the dovetail or just add the extra  length to the trailer deck.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2017, 11:33:06 PM »
What are the dimensions overall? From the last pic it looks a little short behind the axles.

Are you going with a planked deck or treads of some kind?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2017, 11:46:55 PM »
Dovetail, here's an idea no one has mentioned. I built an 18' equipment trailer once with torsion axles & pintle hitch. I used an extra hd jack & it had a 4' dovetail. I dislike ramps immensely, so the way I had it setup it didn't need ramps. Jack was heavy enough to lift front of trailer & back of truck. Could drive just about anything up on it. With a 4' dovetail the the rear angle wasn't steep. Just a thought.

I also agree I don't like the 18"-24" dovetails for what it's worth.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 11:47:57 PM »
This is what it is built to right now.  I am considering nixing the dove tail and making it an 18' deck instead of 16'.  If I did that I would probably add 18" to the front and 6" to the rear or something close to that.  After getting the frame set-up at ride height I do not think I would need the dovetail and the extra deck length would be more useful. 

I am planning on 2x8" decking.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2017, 11:53:41 PM »
Dovetail, here's an idea no one has mentioned. I built an 18' equipment trailer once with torsion axles & pintle hitch. I used an extra hd jack & it had a 4' dovetail. I dislike ramps immensely, so the way I had it setup it didn't need ramps. Jack was heavy enough to lift front of trailer & back of truck. Could drive just about anything up on it. With a 4' dovetail the the rear angle wasn't steep. Just a thought.

I also agree I don't like the 18"-24" dovetails for what it's worth.

Hmm... Now you have me thinking about what it would take to make this a tilt trailer.  I don't really have a problem with ramps though.

I might have to do a little experimentation with the ramps tomorrow and see what I like and dislike.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2017, 12:07:29 AM »
They're heavy

They clang around

If they flip up (for traveling) they look dumb

Take longer to attach (if they store underneath)

Storage is a pain

People want to steal them

Again, I dislike ramps immensely. I think Don likes them so that's another reason to dislike them! :popcorn:

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 12:26:07 AM »
It takes what, 2 minutes to set a couple ramps? Jeez you're getting lazy Shawn.
I also find dovetails useless, unless you're running 35s for tires. Lol

Sent from a spaceship

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2017, 12:28:50 AM »
It takes what, 2 minutes to set a couple ramps? Jeez you're getting lazy Shawn.
I also find dovetails useless, unless you're running 35s for tires. Lol

Sent from a spaceship

I personally think this goes back to your GF. I'm sure she needed a set of ramps or several big guys to get her into/onto whatever was transporting her around at the time. Copy, Ken likes ramps..... :popcorn:

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2017, 12:50:10 AM »
I was thinking tilt also with that pic and 18ft for sure!

Tilt gets you best of it all, no ramps and no dovetail!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2017, 12:54:02 AM »
I shall not help you destroy someone else's awesome thread... I won't stoop to your level... Nope... Not going to do it.
Maybe as a global moderator, I should put you on notice...A verbal warning?
..Ban referral?.
..Or, Should I tell everyone where I picked HRC up from the other night, when someone's Jeep left her stranded? In the old days, we used the "I ran out of gas" line, not " oh the wire fell off of the starter". Smh
Sorry Bear... Please forgive!

Sent from a spaceship

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2017, 12:58:11 AM »
 :popcorn:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2017, 07:25:33 AM »
Probably a little late now, but if I were building another trailer I would include a torque tube down the middle.  Otherwise they can be a bit flappy.

I'm ramp neutral but I don't care for dovetails on anything shorter than 30 feet.

With those cankles, HRC needs a crane, not ramps
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal