Hello Guest

Author Topic: R22 Refrigerant  (Read 3094 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
R22 Refrigerant
« on: April 19, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
I received this in the email box today from my serving company.  Anyone heard of this or doubt it?

Regarding Air Conditioning systems that currently operate with R22 refrigerant:

It is important for you to be aware that R22 refrigerant is being rationed to ALL air conditioning contractors across the country, the current limit is two 30 pound cylinders per purchase per company.  By 2020, R22 refrigerant will not be manufactured or imported.

How does this impact you, as a consumer?
If your system is not cooling and is low on refrigerant, R22 refrigerant may not be available to recharge to get you cool again.  A system holds about 10-12 pounds depending on size and line sets. The cost of refrigerant (if it is available) this summer is going to be expensive, upwards of $100 per pound and rising.

Just a reminder, air conditioning systems are closed, they are not supposed to lose refrigerant.  If an older R22 system is low, chances are there is a leak. Refilling an older system with R22 will not stop the leak, nor will it stop the loss of the expensive refrigerant you just paid for. 

What exactly is the refrigerant phase out?
All the way back in 1993, there were rumblings in the HVAC industry that there was going to be a phase out of HCFCs (hydrochlorofluorocarbons), which are ozone-depleting substances (ODS).  The EPA established a phase-out frame work and schedule: R-22 refrigerant (Freon) was among those on the list.  They began by phasing out the worst of the HCFCs and by 2010, it was R22’s turn to start getting phased out.

January 1, 2010 marked the date that manufacturers could no longer make condensers that used the old R22 refrigerant.  By January 1, 2020, there will be no more R22 refrigerant.  January 1, 2020 marks the date that R22 will no longer be manufactured or imported.  Since we are already experiencing a rationing of the refrigerant right now in 2017, we do not expect there to be any R22 available anywhere by the 2020 cut off.

We feel it is important to make sure our customers with R22 systems, have this information.

Our intention is to give you the advantage of being able to budget and plan ahead, so that you do not suffer in our Hot Humid Houston climate this summer. With this information ahead of time, you have the advantage of weighing out what system best suits your needs and budget. Thereby avoiding the panic that may push you to rush into a decision because your system is out and there is no refrigerant left to get you up and running.

If you are interested in putting together a plan with budget numbers you can reach out to us at:

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: R22 Refrigerant
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »
They speak the truth. Don't know about what they will be charging this year but do know it will soon be gone. My system here in Bullhead City fits the R-22 problem where as my system up in WA has the newer stuff in it. Problem down here is the whole system will need to be replaced, and the air-handler is in the attic. Had to replace my capacitor this year down here so don't know how much longer until I will need to replace the whole thing.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:54:50 PM »
I had a leak in one of my heat pumps, and had to buy 4 pounds of R22 at over $400

I'm looking to replace both systems, as my primary residence has two big heat pumps

Can anyone say ouch!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »
Yeah, it's getting scarce and pricey.
I don't envy the heat pump replacement idea Don.
Ouch will be an understatement.

Stupid EPA and others.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 11:49:25 PM »
I thought they could pump out the R22 & pump back in the new stuff?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 07:35:50 AM »
They 'can'. But the system must be 100%. And the compressor needs different oil.
There may also be a couple other catches, but I think most can.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:28 AM »
I thought they could pump out the R22 & pump back in the new stuff?
I think they can, however the R34 is no where as efficient as the Freon, so your sustems either need different parts or they operate at substantial lower efficiency

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 02:44:34 PM »
I think Don meant R44, for home/industrial cooling direct replacement. R134a is the auto version, that replaces R12.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »
My system uses Puron, is that the 22? System is 15 years old but runs great.

I have a full container of 134 stored and have been getting a universal freon for use now called Enviro-safe. Anyone used that, supposed to be 12 and 134 compliant.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
I think Don meant R44, for home/industrial cooling direct replacement. R134a is the auto version, that replaces R12.
Heck, I don't know what I meant

But looking at the AC parts for SquareD, I am now wondering what I should do to fit out that critter

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »
I think you should get it moving on it's own power then worry about the ac....... :popcorn:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »
I think you should get it moving on it's own power then worry about the ac....... :popcorn:

BANG!!!  :beercheers:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 07:08:57 PM »

Running... then moving... then stopping... THEN cooling.   :knucklehead:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:20:44 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »
Hey, can't blame the guy for wanting ac in the rolling parts bin. Thinking long naps looking over the hide from the front seat......

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 11:36:30 PM »
It does have everything, stored nicely in the garage.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 08:25:28 AM »
I will...Just thinking down the road

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 06:59:53 PM »

My system uses Puron, is that the 22? System is 15 years old but runs great.

I have a full container of 134 stored and have been getting a universal freon for use now called Enviro-safe. Anyone used that, supposed to be 12 and 134 compliant.
Carrier air handler and  Bryant out door unit at home(same company), and the sticker on the out door is puron installed. My unit has the newer gas so I am betting Puron is their name for the new stuff.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 09:47:54 PM »
All this talk about R22 and our Heat/AC being 16 yrs. old, has me looking into replacing both to avoid a untimely and unplanned expense.....hopefully the tax return covers it.  Sister-in-law's family is in the business; hoping the family price is cheaper than expected - guess I'll find out if I've ever "displeased" her!  LOL  :grin:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 07:08:42 AM »
 I just learned that puron is R410 and runs at a higher pressure. You are GTG.
http://www.colonyac.com/webapp/p/224/freon-vs.-puron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »
Reading all of this just made me greatful we bought a newer home again rather then an older unit.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »
Reading all this has me filled with a feeling of impending doom everytime I look outside at those two big units...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal