Commuication, Information Technology and Automation > Tech/Electronics

Raspberry Pi

<< < (4/4)

Sammconn:
I too am guilty of being tech challenged and thought it was truck stuff...

Read some of the attached web pages and have been flown over pretty fast.
Some of the acronyms Greek, some I get...

And I'm seeing some potential uses for this stuff, just a bit over my knowledge base, for now anyway.

Spacecase544:
I have thought of seeing if I can use it to run my EFILive and turn it into an overpowered code reader with an integrated 7" touch screen.

As far as uses, I used an Arduino board (similar tech, just lower capability) and a very easy program I wrote to integrate a pressure sensor into my walking boot.  I had surgery 3 weeks ago to repair some torn ligaments and other damage in my right ankle, so I built a small unit to flash an LED at me if I put any weight on my heel.  Takes up less space than an Altoids tin, and with a little bit of slack, ai can velcro it right to the top of my boot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JR:
Now that would be cool. But you can get a complete tablet for under $100 now.

Spacecase544:
The problem I find with tablets is you have to jailbreak them to be able to add a lot of non-approved apps.  Also, they do not have USB ports, or integratation of a lot of the other stuff a typical computer has.

The fact that I can plug in a thumb drive and potentially install EFILive and then connect the FlashScan directly to the board is a much better idea to me than figuring out how to make it work with a tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

rcampbell:
I've used the last 3 versions of the Rasp. Pi, and tried several little projects. The options really open up now that the RAM is a little higher, back when it was 256 MB, some software struggled. I have a camera module for mine, which I used to experiment with OpenCV (Open Computer Vision). I ran a program that was trained to recognize a human face, and also one that would recognize license plates, so that was pretty neat.

Another project I tried was hosting a mapping/tile server on it. Basically you can setup a tile server from Open Street Maps, and host your very own Google-like maps. Lots of free border data etc for the whole globe, and customizable as well. I had originally done this project for plotting GPS coordinates of a civic address when we get paged to go on a Fire/Rescue calls, so that I can see exactly where I'm going before I hit the road. The main benefit was that since all the data and server was on the Rasp. Pi, I didn't require any internet connection to render/view the maps, or zoom in/out, pan, move around etc etc, and it was very fast.

There's also a gazillion different sensors you can get for these things from motion sensors, to photocells, to gas detectors, to humidity sensors, GPS, you name it. In this context they can basically act as a poor mans PLC, and automate all sorts of tasks based on sensor input.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version