Hello Guest

Author Topic: 3 big grilling mistakes  (Read 830 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 3 big grilling mistakes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »
I like 4-5 hours on indirect for ribs.
Slow and long makes for good ribs.
Never thought about timing of sweet sauces, always have done late or at end because they burn. Must be a fast learner or something.

Steaks, well there is blue, rare, med rare and ruined in my world...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »
What do you guys think about this barrel cooker? Hanging the meat instead of on grill... does it make a difference?

http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/about-the-pbc/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwioHIBRCes6nP56Ti1IsBEiQAxxb5G-sy5RffYIO1Mcjtvo7O-VSfb6fFQHvUQrojvBJjp8saAlJS8P8HAQ

Looks like they are Veteran Owned  :likebutton: from Louisville, KY.

I am the normal LP gas quick and out BBQ'r (or called lazy). Thought this might be an alternative to just grilling burgers and hotdogs.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:44:23 AM by cruizng »
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »
There are lots of online how to build your own of these style.  Neighbor has $40 invested total into his.  Uses it as a smoker. Has great tasting results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:24:38 AM »
What do you guys think about this barrel cooker? Hanging the meat instead of on grill... does it make a difference?

http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/about-the-pbc/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwioHIBRCes6nP56Ti1IsBEiQAxxb5G-sy5RffYIO1Mcjtvo7O-VSfb6fFQHvUQrojvBJjp8saAlJS8P8HAQ

Looks like they are Veteran Owned  :likebutton: from Louisville, KY.

I am the normal LP gas quick and out BBQ'r (or called lazy). Thought this might be an alternative to just grilling burgers and hotdogs.

so the reason why you see meat hanging in barrel cookers is because the barrels are not wide enough to accommodate things such as a rack of ribs or a full packer brisket. 

if I remember correctly, I believe PBC uses 35gal drums (which are a bit smaller).

I have made both of mine from 55gal drums (they also make 80gal drums), one was originally meant to hold oil (which it never did) and had a lot thicker gauge metal and the second one I made I used a food grade barrel (I believe it originally was used to transport concentrate OJ).  the food grade barrels have a coating in them that has to be burned off (really high heat) or ground off before you use it. 

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal