Hello Guest

Author Topic: Howa HCR 6.5 Creedmoor  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
Howa HCR 6.5 Creedmoor
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:27:20 PM »
My brother has been doing some searching for a new rifle and I have been helping him out as I can.  He thinks he wants a Howa HCR in 6.5 Creedmoor.  Black on Black with the 24" barrel.  Seems that everybody is sold out of them and they are on back order though.  Thought I would throw it up here and see if any of you guys might know of a place to check out I haven't. 

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Howa HCR 6.5 Creedmoor
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 07:51:58 PM »
I know brownells.com has Howa barrelled action in 308, so its a barrel swap, might be faster than waiting on backoder. I've never seen/heard of the HCR, but it looks pretty nice, Howa's are supposedly well put together for the price. Any reason why 6.5 or just cause he wants one? Which is a valid reason.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 07:59:45 PM »
Originally we were looking at one of the barreled actions.  He was looking for something varmint/ long range.  He didn't really have any specific caliber in mind.  We both thought the 6.5 Creed would be a good option. 

I've been reading a lot of good things about the factory quality of the Howa rifles.  My brother isn't somebody who is going to do a lot of tinkering with it etc..  Something that is going to shoot good out of the box is what he is looking for which is why I pushed him towards Howa.  I actually think I might have a lead on one now.  Doing some double checking with the FFL before finalizing though.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 09:22:20 PM »
Nice. I want to try out a 6.5 but no one around here has one, at least that I'm aware.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 10:56:54 AM »
The original place I thought had one fell threw. They didn't actually have one.  I set up a few notifications though and got an email this morning saying budsguns had got one in stock so I jumped on it right away and ordered it.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 06:58:31 PM »
The original place I thought had one fell threw. They didn't actually have one.  I set up a few notifications though and got an email this morning saying budsguns had got one in stock so I jumped on it right away and ordered it.

Nice. How much did it set you back? If you don't mind saying. I saw a Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 at a local gun shop.... with a hefty price tag, he had a 6.5 but it sold FAST.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »
$934 I think.  Plus $10 for insured shipping.  Non insured shipping was free but for $10 out isn't worth that risk.  Cash price was $907 but they don't hold it waiting for a check in the mail.  Also find a EGW 20 moa rail for it that I ordered right away too.  I figure I will throw my old vortex scope on it that I have in the safe until my brother decides what he wants to top it with.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 06:15:40 AM »
$934 I think.  Plus $10 for insured shipping.  Non insured shipping was free but for $10 out isn't worth that risk.  Cash price was $907 but they don't hold it waiting for a check in the mail.  Also find a EGW 20 moa rail for it that I ordered right away too.  I figure I will throw my old vortex scope on it that I have in the safe until my brother decides what he wants to top it with.

Nice.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 07:57:51 AM »
I am guessing that RPR was around $1400?  I have not read great things about them either.  Sounds like the bolt is pretty sloppy and not so smooth.  The fit and finish isn't great and most people are needing to do a barrel swap to really get good accuracy out of them.  Sounds like as a factory gun you are doing pretty good to shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards with them.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 12:48:30 PM »
I am guessing that RPR was around $1400?  I have not read great things about them either.  Sounds like the bolt is pretty sloppy and not so smooth.  The fit and finish isn't great and most people are needing to do a barrel swap to really get good accuracy out of them.  Sounds like as a factory gun you are doing pretty good to shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards with them.

Yea I heard the bad things, but then again I've heard alot of good things as well. So it's probably a luck of the draw much like everything else. I've talked with people who owned a 6.0 and hated it because of numerous problems, and I've talked with people who loved them and never had a problem.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 08:01:23 AM »
Picked the gun up Friday from the FFL.  The entire process went very fast and smooth.  Ordered Wed the gun Wed from Bud's Guns.  They got it shipped out the same day.  My FFL received the gun Thursday and I picked the gun up Friday.

Overall the gun looks and feels good.  I didn't have time to clean it up this weekend though.  Hopefully I can get it cleaned up and a few rounds through it to break the barrel in a bit for my brother before this weekend.  Trying to plan a shooting day Saturday with my brother and cousins and would like it ready to go for him.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 09:13:42 AM »
Good to hear.
Looking forward to a review.

I've heard lots of good about the Howa's.
I suspect you will be happy.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 12:52:11 PM »
That's awesome. Let me know how it goes.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 02:57:35 AM »
 :popcorn:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 09:20:19 AM »
Sent about 40 rounds through this gun Saturday.  It is definitely a nice shooter.  I helped my brother sight it in.  After he put about 15 rounds through it and got it close I took a few shots.  Put 3 rounds nearly on top of each other at 100 yards.  Moved out to the 300 yard target after that.  Shoot a few rounds at some paper to find out what it was doing at that distance.  Then set up some tannerite to shoot. 

Overall the gun should be a nice shooter.  All we did was clean the barrel before the first shots were fired.  No other break-in was done.  As it was I think this is a 3/4 MOA gun at 100 yards with the factory ammo we were shooting.  With a little better break-in and some reloads this thing will be a real tack driver.

We weren't able to set the gun up as nicely as I would have liked.  I just put my Vortex Crossfire scope on it to do some shooting this weekend.  My brother is going to be buying a nicer scope for it.  The rail I had on the gun extended in front of the action a bit.  This prevented us from moving the scope as far rearward as I would have liked to get proper eye relief.  The objective lense made contact with the rail when moving it back.  I didn't want to alter the rail yet until he has the scope he wants and we see how it fits.  As it was the LOP and check weld were not set-up how I would have preferred.  Should be able to tune it in with the adjustments built into it.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »
Good to hear.
Sounds like the tack driving potential is there for sure.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 11:07:58 AM »
Sounds like a nice purchase.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 05:20:02 PM »
I just found a good deal on a vortex viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with moa reticle to put on top of this gun.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
I just found a good deal on a vortex viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with moa reticle to put on top of this gun.

Gen 1 or 2?

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 07:50:26 AM »
It's a Gen 1.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 09:36:37 AM »
I like the reticle in the gen 1 more than the 2.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal