TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Welder pics, Setup and advice with welding.

<< < (2/19) > >>

stlaser:
Miller XMT 304 cc/cv & old school oxy acetylene torch (torch because it has more capabilities than a hand plasma for the record if you know how to use one anyhow).

Welder has air arc capabilities but have yet to try out that option. Definitely not the setup for exhaust work.

JR:
I have also done a lot of stick welding. DC is my favorite and much of that was implement repair. Learned a lot of basics doing that.

Am going to try using a small flux core wire on my next exhaust and see how it goes. For the body work I am using a copper plate behind the small holes to plug that stops burn through.

Bear9350:
I have a Lincoln Power Mig 255.  It is an little bit older of a unit I bought used a few years back.  I own a 120 tank for it but lease a 300 because I was going through the 120 so fast and this way I have a back-up on hand should I run out on a Friday night like I usually do.  I recently replaced the whip with a Tregaskis.  I was surprised how much better the welder performed by just switching that over. Not really sure why but it just seems to run smoother.

I also have a Hypotherm plasma torch.  Not sure which one it is at the moment.  Might be the 45 or possibly the size under that.

Sammconn:
My mig is a no name 'Deca' that I picked up in 2004 new for 399.99 at Princess Auto. (Our equivalent to Harbor Freight) it's a 240 volt only unit 180A capable. Will do gas and flux core.
No auto anything but does a good job. No clue how many hundreds of pounds of wire it's ate up over the years. Been a solid little unit.
Have two arc welder so, one Lincoln, not sure on the other.

Looking to get a plasma at some point.

Have been looking at the multi process machines hard, no real need for tig capability right now, but the option would be nice. Then I could learn how to do it...lol.

stlaser:

--- Quote from: Bear9350 on May 11, 2017, 07:36:13 AM ---I have a Lincoln Power Mig 255.  It is an little bit older of a unit I bought used a few years back.  I own a 120 tank for it but lease a 300 because I was going through the 120 so fast and this way I have a back-up on hand should I run out on a Friday night like I usually do.  I recently replaced the whip with a Tregaskis.  I was surprised how much better the welder performed by just switching that over. Not really sure why but it just seems to run smoother.

I also have a Hypotherm plasma torch.  Not sure which one it is at the moment.  Might be the 45 or possibly the size under that.

--- End quote ---

I personally had a 255, the stock whip is junk. Ran several of them in my old shop (day job), first upgrade was always a 400 amp tweco gun & whip. Problem with the stock whip is the unit will easily heat up the gun & things get tight (wire won't feed). A good gun is designed to work under harsh conditions. Other tip that helps when welding long & hard is to run the next size up tip. So if you're running .035 wire don't run .035 tips FYI just bump it up a size. The machine won't notice the difference but you will. New whips come in longer lengths too, 12' is max length I recommend. Anything over that & you will cause yourself more headaches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version