Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hunting jeep: manual or auto tranny  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hunting jeep: manual or auto tranny
« on: July 20, 2017, 07:11:41 PM »
Ok, well I have always just used my 2500 GMC to get to where I want to hunt BUT...Between the brush and trees narrowing up the roads, wash outs and such I am looking into a 2 door jeep wrangler. That and the fact I just went through colon cancer surgery, so not sure I can run the ridges like I used to. Need some help from the group. Since I used to drive the one tracks with my truck which is an auto, and since most of the newer jeeps around here for sale are auto what if any problems would be with an auto tranny hunting jeep? Back in the day, I had a manual jeep, but back then that's what they were. Is the auto tranny that mopar is using in the jeep wrangler strong enough, I won't be rock climbing or mud running, just using it for a hunting rig in 4 high and maybe running to the store between hunting seasons. It will either be new or at least under 50,000 miles if used.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting jeep: manual or auto tranny
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:29:28 PM »
Bob. Congrats on beating the C. I'd say overheating from constant low crawls is the biggest issue. Fan noise from additional cooling give you away sooner. I'd stick with manual if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:21:59 PM »
WOW bob, didn't see that one coming............

where is shawn with his 4x4 expertise......
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 09:34:40 PM »
 Sorry you had to go through that Mr. Bob. Glad it worked out.

I'm more of an auto guy now....it's just easier when putting around in rough country. You get something with 50k and you'll have plenty of miles left with frequent service.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 10:40:47 PM »
Ken, I am kind of leaning toward the automatic if for nothing else, that seams to be what is more of out there. Like I said above however, manual is what we had back many years ago and they worked well. I can add another tranny cooler to help with the heat up of the fluid but by mid Oct. up here anyway it gets a bit chilly. Usually have to scrape the frost from the windows before leaving in the mornings and sometimes for the return trip to camp in the evenings. I might however just be hunting from the rig watching the ridges and cuts from the wide spots and landings. I have good glasses and a 300 mag. so at least I won't need to resupply for a new hunting style. There is a horse packer/ guide service down the river so if needed I can hire help to get one out if I can't get close enough to pack it out myself.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 11:14:18 PM »
Glad to hear you beat that C!

Go auto, it's just easier off road. I'm not sure on the newer ones although I don't hear of many problems. My JK is a manual but my TJ rubicon was an auto and I never had any issues. I even rebuilt the top end with a better cam and no issues.

I guess it's just personal preference but wouldn't be scared of an auto. Personally I would spend the money for the rubicon edition. Mine was on the tj and I didn't on the jk, looking back it would have been easier from the start. You get a lower gear ratio in the t-case and factory lockers.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:16:57 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 11:17:46 AM »
From one PNW'er to another, go Auto. one less thing you need to worry about when you're trying to keep it on all four wheels. Like Shawn said, spring for the Rubicon. you won't be doing anything that can damage the factory lockers or axles. you don't need a bunch of truss work or anything fancy and the rubi's have a higher lift, bigger tires, lower gears and traction turnkey. with the terrain we have around here you'd be able to navigate all but the deepest mud holes. Rocker panel guards are a must. Get a good winch and a high lift and you can pretty much go anywhere with a rubicon out this way.

P.S.,

You didn't actually say that you got a C. free diagnosis, but that you JUST had surgery? just making sure you're going to be around to mess with in the coming years. Prayers for your well being good sir.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 12:44:31 PM »
Thank you all for the input, I feel better about the auto tranny now. Don't know if a Rubicon is in the works or not but shall see what is out there. Thanks also for the thoughts and prayers, it is what it is, and is in Gods hands. Could have been much worse, but if I had followed the guidelines and kept up with the colonoscopy schedule maybe wouldn't be going through it at all.

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
Bob- I'm in the car business. if you need any help just reach out to me and I would be happy to get you book values/vehicle history reports..heck I even have a few jeeps for sale in the company if you weren't planning on buying private party. 

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 05:07:17 PM »

Bob- I'm in the car business. if you need any help just reach out to me and I would be happy to get you book values/vehicle history reports..heck I even have a few jeeps for sale in the company if you weren't planning on buying private party.
I sent a note your way, thank you for the offer to help

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 09:24:13 AM »
I like how this web site works ^^^^^^^^
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 06:51:48 PM »

Well, brought one home today. Not a Rubicon but does have 3:73 gears and just under 50,000 miles. Really nice shape as far as I can tell. They wanted top dollar so had them include a new set of tires, and another key fob.
Thanks again for all the help, this is new to me

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »
 :likebutton:

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 06:59:57 PM »
Kind of a wild color for me, but should be easy to find if I get to far away. It is a one owner rig, has undercoating and good paint underneath, and appears to have been well maintained. A whole new way to go, but should work out fine. I have a carrier that fits the trailer hitch in case I get lucky and need extra room to get something out. A shot of coming down the hill last year with the camp trailer in tow.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 10:32:30 PM »
 :beercheers:
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 10:58:24 PM »
Fluid change time!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 11:01:46 PM »
bob, that's the nicest "hunting jeep" I've ever seen...   I'm used to open top rhino lined 80s models with in line 6 and manual trans and a big top rack.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »
Sweet looking jeep. Fluid change.  Lol. $$$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »
It needs some gun ports or a turret.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »

like a pop up "tac topper" might be cool :rolleyes:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 12:50:24 PM »

like a pop up "tac topper" might be cool :rolleyes:

Heads up! Shots fired!!!!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »
Congrats on the purchase!

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 06:44:46 PM »
Looks in good shape. Good luck with it!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »
Kind of a wild color for me, but should be easy to find if I get to far away. It is a one owner rig, has undercoating and good paint underneath, and appears to have been well maintained. A whole new way to go, but should work out fine. I have a carrier that fits the trailer hitch in case I get lucky and need extra room to get something out. A shot of coming down the hill last year with the camp trailer in tow.

That looks like my buddy's cabin area outside of Okanogan. Jeep looks great Bob. If you do lift it, I ignored some sage advice back when I had my wagoneer and wished I'd listened then; maximum tire, minimum lift. 33" tires and 2.5" of lift are more than enough for anywhere you want to go.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:01:00 PM by EL TATE »

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 03:56:53 PM »
I like it! Looks very clean for the miles!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

I like it! Looks very clean for the miles!

That is exactly what I thought. Went over to the dealer just to see what was out there for the money. Miles were right, just had brakes redone, everything seams to work [ right now anyway], sounded good, no rattles or noises while going down the road, and no big dings or dents. Decided no use looking any further, made an offer, and next thing I knew we were headed home.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 10:13:53 PM »
Cept for the color I like it. Put some flairs on it and vinyl the rest, mild lift like Tater said.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 08:21:39 PM »
Well no lift yet, don't think I will need it where I am now hunting. There is a low end knock after a few days without running the engine and starting it up. I did add some Lucas power punch so will see if that helps. Some one said the filter valve could be stuck? I will be changing oil and filter soon so will see if that helps.  Hope the lower end will survive a few months, a  rebuild could be in order if it doesn't quite down on start up.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 10:26:13 PM »
If it's only after a few days I would think its oil related.  Try the oil change first.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »
FYI they make an extended filter for them....

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 10:54:29 PM »

FYI they make an extended filter for them....
More information please...A grand here or there doesn't make much sense to me

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 05:30:10 AM »
Napa 41516

Assuming this is an 2008, realize there are possible issues with the stock bottom end on these motors. Most use oil, which is normal for them. They were assembled south of the border and I have read that in their brilliance one of the things they did was to line up the grooves on the rings on the pistons. Keep an eye out for shavings in the oil as well. My stock motor was using a quart every 1k at the end before I swapped motors to this built unit. Unfortunately I can't say the replacement is any better on the oil usage front. It does have more power and I'm not scared of the bottom end any longer though. I also would not recommend using 505 performance for a rebuild if you choose to go that route eventually, it was not an ideal experience for me in any fashion.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:35:44 AM by stlaser »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
Thanks for the filter number, I will get the oil changed  and the new filter installed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal