TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

Upstairs Add On started

(1/91) > >>

JR:
Kids all need their own rooms, so this takes care of that. Daughter will get this and it will be bigger than all but the master bedroom.

Pretty much on my own with this and it goes behind a 2nd story I put on the garage a few years back. I have no plans but what are in my head. It goes over the the laundry, bathroom and closet in the master bedroom. Total area is 12x16, but 3ft of the 16 is a stairway I built for this last year. So the actual room is 12x13. The area was actual built with this in mind and is close to flat. The highest part of the build will only stick up about 5ft from the ridge of the current roof.   

Hurdles are moving bathroom vents, HVAC vents and wiring. Much of this will be handled in a cubby next to the stairway. Another hurdle is the actual floor for this as my home is a modular and built with stick, not 2x4s.

I have this on a schedule of 5-6 weeks to get it closed in. Another couple to finish the inside. This room will also have a stand alone HVAC unit, yet to be determined so comment are welcome (like they wouldn't come anyway) Another issue here is a whole house fan which will be relocated above the stairway. I will also be adding a 1/2 bathroom near the door that will serve the upstairs.

Week 1; Roof tear off with truss removal. 3 days into this now. There are 3 roofs here  :rolleyes:. The original roof with a california truss under it and the roof I built over it when I added the garage.  First day was opening up the stairway to the 2nd floor and tarping it off.

Week 2; Moving all the above items and getting the floor in. I believe I will get to use 2x8s here and keep it level with the garage 2nd story. This step will show where my load is for the peak and I will pour a footing just to be safe even though I am tying into the load walls on both ends. This is the only real step I can see getting longer than scheduled.

Week 3; Walls. The room should have a center ceiling at 8ft, with both sides coming down a little. These will basically be finished when they go up with 1 inch foam on the exterior. That will also vapor seal them with just flashing and siding needed. Using Smartside primed OSB, matching the house.

Week 4; Roof. No fancy trusses just good ol 2x8s on 16 centers, about 10x12 roof is all. Stairs will be separate angled roof. Overhangs are 24" on the garage but I think 16 will be fine here and no gutters as it drips onto the roof. Since it ties into the current garage roof (2x10) I will simply drop it 2" down and run a flashing to the garage edge so no lacing the shingles.

I am figuring a couple extra weeks just to be safe.

The area is covered (still hot out), stairs closed in (but needs plastic sheet to temp seal it). Little camo to keep profile low.

JR:
Here is an outline of the area. Orange is the stairs so far.

How far we got today and the youngest finding out what the bad smell is!

Both boys working (somewhat together)

JR:
Got into the real removal today. Also pulled the tarps back but left on in case of rain. They were saying "look here" more than helping.

All screwed on so it the sheets come up a little easier but you never get all the screws.

I built this so most of it comes out. Down to the other layers now.

stlaser:
JR, you pulling permits on this or by passing those? Made a couple comments about neighbors etc.... :popcorn:

JR:
Grey area for this. It is attached to the garage is which fully permitted (still open) but this is over the house, which is covered under HUD as it a premade home on a foundation. City gives roofing permits and permitted my 350sf side addition, which I understand they should not have done. They also permitted a 200amp box attached to the house when I upgraded and OK'd the service to the garage. 

I am good with the rear neighbor but why advertise. You could see the tarps from the street. When finished you will see an overhang, just. 

I am going to try to draw up a floor plan also, but I think you get the idea from the pics above.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version