Hello Guest

Author Topic: John Holland Tractor/Backhoe combo  (Read 2483 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
John Holland Tractor/Backhoe combo
« on: August 27, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
This is a story about trying to install a John deere backhoe on a New Holland compact tractor.
I got the 50hp tractor in '08 and plan to keep it , but the one thing I've always really wanted was a hoe. I was looking at a factory setup, and it was going to run close to $12k installed....half of what the tractor cost. The NH version is a combo 3 point/subframe setup, and sticks out several feet from the back (looks REALLY dumb, and low to the ground). Putting an aftermarket "decent" one on would still be close to $8k, and it would also be hooked up to the 3 point (less than ideal).
Well, this JD setup showed up in the paper a couple weeks ago, and the guy was asking $1700. It was their highest rated compact hoe a few years back (they have since changed the model slightly to accommodate a tractor with a cab), and they run almost 9k, plus mounting hardware. It's a quick connect setup that mounts directly to the tractor which puts it as far forward as possible, and is much stronger than the 3 point setup.

The slightly used hoe (the bucket is is not original to this hoe):

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: John Holland Tractor/Backhoe combo
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »
The seller through in a pile of brackets (8) that fit a specific JD tractor. He also gave me a larger carriage for the hoe (I assume to fit a larger tractor like mine). It extends the hoe about 6" farther towards the rear to clear larger tires, I think. If I didn't have the larger carriage, this job would still be at a standstill.

The "carriage", for lack of a better word...the hitch looking tube in the middle is where the seat post mounts:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »
:popcorn for welding and fabricating to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 12:15:09 AM »
These are the main side brackets, after cutting them up to fit over the axle.
I can't put into words how difficult this was for me....just trying to figure out overall height, how strong it needed to be, which way is it going to torque and twist, have clearance to allow reinstallation of 3 point system when hoe not mounted, and make it removable if I needed to repair the tractor at some point. It took 2 weeks to work it out, a couple hours a day plus the weekends. ugh

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 12:19:56 AM »
Once I figured out that the brackets might work, I made a 1/2 plate to bolt to the differential. It was the only place that had large bolt holes. The JD brackets are meant to bolt on the rear, sides, and bottom of the differential. This tractor does have some large ears on top of the axles that I used to bolt the side brackets to.

here it is almost mocked up:

you can see the large ears in this pick...they had a slight angle to them, so I had to cut out a section and weld in an offset section:

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:23:33 AM by KensAuto »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 12:21:30 AM »
Ken, I've found if you have the time that's the best way to do an in depth build. My best work always takes a few months. Heck, my wife's best work took 9 months each time come to think of it! Maybe there's something to that......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 12:37:39 AM »
True Shawn, and both can be frustrating!

I was planning to bolt the side brackets to the rear plate, but decided to tack weld them to see if I could still remove the assembly if needed. It initially wouldn't lift high enough to clear the ears because of the pto, but if I took the pto housing off (and lost 3 gallons of hydro fluid), it would come out....so I started welding it solid, without it warping and not throwing all of my measurements off :(
I added some extra plating, cut up some of the extra 3/4" brackets for extra support, and adapted 2 of those to fit in front of the axle for twist support:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 12:41:19 AM »
...and threw on some tractor paint:

...and bolted it back on:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 12:43:30 AM »
My tractor didn't have any rear hydro's, so I had to buy a single rear remote setup. It cost almost as much as the backhoe! ($1200)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 06:53:45 AM »
nice!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »
Heck Ken, that looks like you knew what you were doing even! :likebutton:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
Side story... I started out by tying into the hydro system, with all of the assorted fittings necessary to do so, the way that NH recommends. This involved plumbing the hoe inline with the front end loader control valve. After realizing that the hoe's existing fittings were not compatible, and I was going to have to buy some more quick connects, I taught myself some things about hydraulic systems. The recommended routing would limit the flow to the hoe, at 6 gpm. The hoe is rated at 12gpm. Because of this, I decided to use the remote kit that I had just installed.....it handles up to 12gpm (it has 1/2" fittings). The downside is that I have to bungee cord the remote lever to the rear...this sends fluid constantly to the hoe's valve.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 03:33:49 PM »
Next problem; The carriage has two hooks on top. The tractors hydro 3 point lift grabs onto these to lift the carriage/hoe up into the brackets, which only 2 pins to hold it in place. Those ears did not line up with the NH lift pins....urhhh
I had to cut off the hooks and weld them back on at an angle, and an 1-1/2" lower, to get it to work right.

Here's the cut line:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
No pics, but once the BH was mounted, I realized that my fuel tank was the in the way of installing the seat. The seat mount was cut up, and welded back together a few inches rearward. Now it fits with the curve of the tank.
Here's the finished product, after cleaning and painting the black parts..
...the John Holland:

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »
Looks like a legit John-Holland.
Probably getting close to the limit of the 3500# axles too I'm thinking?
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 04:52:51 PM »
Side story... I started out by tying into the hydro system, with all of the assorted fittings necessary to do so, the way that NH recommends. This involved plumbing the hoe inline with the front end loader control valve. After realizing that the hoe's existing fittings were not compatible, and I was going to have to buy some more quick connects, I taught myself some things about hydraulic systems. The recommended routing would limit the flow to the hoe, at 6 gpm. The hoe is rated at 12gpm. Because of this, I decided to use the remote kit that I had just installed.....it handles up to 12gpm (it has 1/2" fittings). The downside is that I have to bungee cord the remote lever to the rear...this sends fluid constantly to the hoe's valve.

Ken, on my MF4609 I was able to tap in a T fitting before the valve. This allowed me to not have to bungee that lever FYI......

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 05:17:54 PM »
Mostly the rear axle Sam, she was hurtin' for sure. lol
I ended up putting the front bucket over the bed of the truck just to get it home. It wouldn't back up the ramps without hitting the hoe...I'll either make longer ramps, or use blocks next time.

Shawn, the NH remote actually bolts to the side of the hydro lift housing and came with the correct hard lines ...but...probably could've tee'd into the fel feed, but I took the easiest route (for now)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »
Franken Holland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal