TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Alternative Energy

Compost heated shower

(1/3) > >>

Wilbur:
Not sure the best location for this thread but this story was pretty interesting about the simplicity of an alternative heat source for hot water, in this case for a shower. But I also think this could easily be adopted for hot water for a cabin, a shop or any off grid method. I think with more piping it could be used as a type of radiant heat source for a building although that woukd abviously require more piping and is a different system. Plus you would need to "shut it off" during the summer.

This is really simple- hook a water source through a hose to plastic piping that gets run in a serpentine fashion through a compost "pile". In this case it's about 8' x 5'. The guy in the article starts it with a pickup truck load of wood chips and another of sawdust. Obviously any yard scraps would work- grass clippings, hay, food waste etc.

Surprisingly this guy uses it to heat water for a hostel for 10 ppl a day so if this is for an off-grid cabin or BO location that would give you plenty of water for a variety of sources beyond just showers. It gets hot enough for him (120 to 150 degrees) that he needs to mix cold water with it.

Like a lot of these things you may not do exactly what this guy did but it might stimulate you to come up with a version that works for you. Oh....and always....YMMV ha!

Here's the link to the article that stimulated this:

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/08/30/homestead/how-to-build-an-alternative-compost-heated-shower/

Sammconn:
Now that's a cool idea!
 :likebutton:

Flyin6:
So simple, its brilliant!

Wilbur:

--- Quote from: Flyin6 on August 31, 2017, 09:35:23 AM ---So simple, its brilliant!

--- End quote ---

Don I was thinking about your hide site as a possible place something like this could be put in and used pretty effectively. And you make your own sawdust and wood chips so you have the feedstock already.

KensAuto:
That is awesome. Why haven't we heard of this before now!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version