TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

Design software

(1/4) > >>

Wilbur:
My wife and I will be building a garage with an apartment over it for my FIL to move into. I have sketched some ideas but I want an architect to do the plans. But I'm thinking I can save some time and (hopefully) $ by using a basic software system as a starting place.

With all the building I've seen done here I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a decent software package for this?

Thanks.

Ps been a rough few weeks here for all of us. Sorry I haven't been around much. Hope everyone's doing well!

stlaser:
Wilbur, forgive me however it’s a carriage house I’m assuming? Have you looked at online plans? If it is just a basic structure (single roof peak line) normal garage type structure why do you need an architect? I’ve done a few & Charles is building something similiar & he didn’t use one that I’m aware of either. I use acad lt but it’s not cheap really. If I can help let me know.

Dawg25385:
Sketchup is an application many in the maker/craftsman community use. Might give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilbur:
Yes it should be pretty simple. I do want to keep the 9/12 pitch that my house has. But I am not doing a full second story then the roof on top of that. I want a single story 3 car garage then the roof on top that will have dormers on the frobt, a partial shed dormer on the back, a slider and small deck. Due to the  slope of the roof I know I have to give up some floor space. I partly want to play with where I put the stairs coming up from the garage, where I put the walls, what the headroom will be etc.

I have looked at some of the online ones  (and am still looking at them), just not finding exactly what I want.

Maybe I won't need an architect though, not sure. I just want to be sure we get what we want. I have tried sketch up before but could never get very good with it so was looking for something dedicated to building.

stlaser:
I know this may sound crazy but you could go old school pencil and paper with a scale ruler.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version