GENERAL TOPICS > Parenting

When infants can’t be soothed.

(1/4) > >>

longball:
Our 8 week old baby has developed a case of the can’t help it’s. Unfortunately it started just after I left for work. She’s fed, has a clean/dry diaper and has had a couple different outfits on to rule out itchy clothes and tags. Wife has tried nursing instead of bottle and that didn’t work either. These looks and sounds like mad/painful crying. Wife took her for a ride in the car and as long as my she was driving the baby slept. As soon as they walked in the door she started crying again. The baby has been holding her No. 2s in for days and get fussy after 48 hours or so. Poor thing holds it in until she can’t anymore then has major blowouts. I don’t think that’s the case this time as the blowout was last night.

What are the next steps? Anything you’ve tried that worked when they just can’t seem stop crying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stlaser:
just to clarify are you only using breast milk or formula as well?

Superwhdm:
We had to try a few different powdered formulas (with both kiddos) before we settled on Similac Total comfort. Wife was not able to nurse.  Could be gas caused by not being able to digest that kind of formula.  It’s going to be a combination only learned over time. Her/his little body is getting used to the real world, digesting food and growing so very fast.

Is this your first?  My advice would be just go through the motions. Calm mommas freaking out the best you can. You guys will all learn these changes together.  A lot of these formulas have high iron content and will make baby constipated.  We sometimes had to initiate “evacuation” with a q-tip and Vaseline very gently. 

Bear9350:
My wife nursed but was not able to keep up with demand.  It took us a few weeks but we finally figured out the reason my daughter was constantly fussing/ crying/ not sleeping well was because she was always hungry.  She switched from nursing to straight bottle feeding, mixing milk with formula.  We also used Similac but whichever formula was specific for mixing.  It is also pretty typical for them to get gas.  We found it worked best to lay her/ have her sleep in rock-n-play I think??.  She was able to sit up a little more vs laying flat on her back in the crib which helps digestion I guess?

Superwhdm:
Agreed on the rock n play. We had them in that thing next to us  for a few weeks while our girls got adjusted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version