Hello Guest

Author Topic: Stihl MS311  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Stihl MS311
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »
So, this is my second Stihl MS311 chain saw.

The first one met an untimely death when I acidentially drove over it with my tractor, somewhat crushing it. It may come back to life if I can find enough of the right parts at a reasonable price.

So this saw is a beast of a machine. It is not a pro saw, those cost much, much more and are of an old school more robust design. This saw is made for the guy who owns a farm and uses his saw often and for cutting big trees.

It sports a .050, 3/8" wider chain that would just drag down a smaller saw. While most decent saws the happy homeowner owns have 3-3.5 horsepower (Husky 450, 455, 460, Stihl 251,271,291, etc) the Stihl 311 has 4.5 horsepower. That's a whole chainsaw better than those previously mentioned very capable saws. Those smaller saws even with a 20" bar use a .325" gage, whereas this monster uses a .375". The smaller saws derive their cutting power from pulling a smaller kerf cutter through the wood. I thought about pulling the sprocket off my 311, bolting it onto a MS271 farm boss and bolting on a 20" bar, but the stihl dealer said that chain would bog the motor in the smaller saw. Considering I already own a bunch of 3/8" MS311 chains, it made sense to just go back with the same saw.

Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stihl MS311
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »
This one will give you a workout as well. The lighter farm boss comes in around 12 pounds. THe 311 is over 16. I'm a big guy and I do like lifting weights, so for me the greater weight fits my scheme of work.

Having run the thing a couple years already, I can say it starts on the second pull, and has nothing including limestone or fence wire that can stop it. Stick the bar into anything and it will divide it!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:02:07 PM »
The compression release is a must for the high compression large engine. It makes starting it a bunch easier

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:04:14 PM »
It is set up nicely. Very ergonomic

Handle fits well, the engine is mounted to the frame with steel springs to absorb vibration and the top cover is removed with three screws to get to the air filter

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:05:39 PM »
They integrate the choke and start/shutoff lever into one simple to use unit. This is a non computer, non efi, basic saw which I think is easier to maintain

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 09:06:46 PM »
The log dog is well placed and works well, I have used it often in the deceased saw

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 09:08:34 PM »
I think that the saw is made in Deutchland but the bar/chain is American made, but I am not completely sure about that.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 09:10:37 PM »
The 20" bar is a greasable roller tip. Most people never grease the roller tip. If you look, you will find a small hole. Use a small cone shaped grease tip on a small grease gun and pump until grease comes out between the chain links

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:12:27 PM »
I have already prepared it for the new young men who are marrying into the family and other in and outlaws!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 12:33:49 AM »
I believe the one we have is the 391, it's about 6 years old now. These things are truly amazing! I wouldn't want a different saw.... unless I needed a bigger than 20" bar, then just get the 461 (441 maybe?) and be done with it. Good friend of mine who cuts 10-20 cords a year has one, and ran one for the BLM on a fire crew. They just run! Oh And destroy wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »
Stihl's are the cats.....er....butt....for sure. I don't need one that big but got the farm boss and it just cranks. Husky's are good saws too and I logged with them too but I prefer the Stihl's myself.

But I don't think either wud survive a tractor pressure test!  :shocked:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:04:59 AM by Wilbur »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 06:42:35 PM »
Stihl's are the cats.....er....butt....for sure. I don't need one that big but got the farm boss and it just cranks. Husky's are good saws too and I logged with them too but I prefer the Stihl's myself.

But I don't think either wud survive a tractor pressure test!  :shocked:
Concur on the Husky quality. I had a good one for years. Unfortunately it got underneath my bush hog and was demolished some years back.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 09:00:42 PM »
So Don, how many saws has your tractor and or attachments killed anyway? Thinking you might want to keep the tractors away from the saw mill.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 11:16:32 PM »
So Don, how many saws has your tractor and or attachments killed anyway? Thinking you might want to keep the tractors away from the saw mill.

Two...

Copy, keep tractor away from saw mill

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:30 PM »

Two...

Copy, keep tractor away from saw mill

I understand accidents happen, however my old man would nearly kill me for getting the bar pinched in a cut let alone running over a saw with the tractor......  & if I ran over two he would have killed me then proceeded home and punched my mom in the mouth saying there was no way I could be from his loins!  :tongue:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 09:01:05 AM »
I understand accidents happen, however my old man would nearly kill me for getting the bar pinched in a cut let alone running over a saw with the tractor......  & if I ran over two he would have killed me then proceeded home and punched my mom in the mouth saying there was no way I could be from his loins!  :tongue:

I'm just gonna call you Buford from now on.  :wink:

Such a great line! Haha

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 09:09:41 AM »

I'm just gonna call you Buford from now on.  :wink:

Such a great line! Haha

I agree, loved those movies......

My former laser cutting production manager at the steel shop was a larger hate filled guy (prior air force security guy for the record not that it implies anything) and his kid who programmed cnc for us. The kid wasn't near as bright as his dad so there was an easy correlation between buford/bubba theme and these two. I often changed his screen saver to buford quotes or changed the desk top picture to equally annoying memes of those two.

Yeah, I didn't just start my harassing career with old Ken and H references. :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:11:16 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 11:00:58 AM »
That's funny right there^^^^
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal