Hello Guest

Author Topic: Mushroom rice  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Mushroom rice
« on: January 18, 2018, 07:16:02 PM »
Takes a few to make, but dang is it good.  I used unsalted beef stock i stead of water and also doubled the mushrooms.

http://www.recipetineats.com/mushroom-rice/

Ingredients

- 2 - 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1.5lb mushrooms, sliced 1/8-1/5" thick (Note 1)
- 2 garlic cloves mince
- 1 small onion finely dice
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice (Note 2)
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock / broth (or chicken) (Note 3)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups sliced green onion / scallions
- Optional: More butter to stir through

Instructions

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pot over high heat. Add half the mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes until golden. Season with salt and pepper then remove and set aside.

If the pot is dry, another 1/2 - 1 tbsp oil, and add butter. When melted, add onions and garlic.

Cook for 30 seconds, then add remaining mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned (they won't caramelise as well as the first batch) and the base of the pot is brown.

Add rice and a splash of broth. Mix so the brown stuff on the bottom of the pot mixes into the liquid. (Video below helpful here)

Once the base of the pot is clean, add remaining liquid. Place lid on, bring to a simmer then turn down to medium low.

Cook for 15 minutes or until there is no residual liquid (tilt pot to check).

Remove from stove, remove lid, QUICKLY toss in reserved mushrooms and scallions, put lid back on. Leave for 10 minutes (do not skip this step!).

Fluff rice using a fork or wooden spoon. OPTIONAL: Stir through more butter.  Serve!

Recipe Notes

1. Use any mushrooms you want, I used normal button mushrooms, it's even more mushroomy if you use Swiss Brown / Cremini mushrooms. Don't slice them too thin otherwise they literally disintegrate!

Mushrooms do "suck up" oil but don't be tempted to add more oil until the end if needed. When raw, mushrooms suck up the oil, but then as they cook, release water and the oil, so this helps them brown towards the end. But if you do find they are looking dry, add just 1 tsp towards the end of browning.

2. Basmati and jasmine would also be great here, comes out nice and fluffy like long grain rice. I find that medium and short grain rice is a bit sticky for my taste when cooked pilaf style. Risotto rice, sushi rice and paella rice are not suitable. Please use uncooked rice.

BROWN RICE: Follow recipe but use 2 1/2 cups liquid for tender, fluffy rice (or 2 3/4 cups for soft rice) and it will take around 45 minutes to cook on the stove (check at 35 minutes, then every 5 minutes until liquid is absorbed).

QUIONA: This will also work with quinoa but adjust the recipe as follows: rinse quinoa, use 3 cups of liquid (I would prob do 2 cups broth, 1 cup water), follow recipe but cook for 20 minutes.

3. The amount of liquid to rice ratio I use yields a tender just cooked rice that is fluffy. If you like your rice on the soft side, use 1/2 cup extra liquid but note that the rice will be stickier rather than fluffy like what you see in the video and photos.

4. SERVES: Makes around 7 cups of rice (packed) which will serve 8 as a side or 4 as a main. YES it's a lot but it will keep well in the fridge for a few days and it freezes well too!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:18:56 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Mushroom rice
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 07:35:09 PM »
Oh that looks good. Good use for my home made beef broth.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 08:04:37 PM »
Oh man hat looks good.
Add in pound of chopped up bacon bits...mmmm
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 11:44:03 PM »
Thx guys
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 06:38:54 PM »
Well it looks like the picture. Needs salt otherwise pretty good. Added extra garlic.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 12:37:10 AM »
It does look good. I am the only one here who likes mushrooms, their loss.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal