FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

Wife Does Not Play Fair. We have chickens

<< < (2/5) > >>

Superwhdm:
This is great!  It’s a good experience for youngins imo. Just bear in mind you will have visits from the sneaky hungry predators/freeloaders in the animal kingdom, including the very curious neighbor’s dog.  It’s another tough but real life lesson to see what they can do. Makes you mad but c'est la vie.

Certainly don’t mean to be a downer!!!  It’s gonna be great to have eggs that aren’t 40 days old!!  Also a great responsibility tool for kids.

Farmer Jon:
Make sure you have a secure coop and lock them up every night. Oh and and beware of chicken math.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

wyorunner:

--- Quote from: Superwhdm on March 05, 2018, 07:52:42 PM ---
It’s gonna be great to have eggs that aren’t 40 days old!!  Also a great responsibility tool for kids.

--- End quote ---

We had chickens for a short spell, and then our friend supplied us with eggs when her 500+ birds were actually laying. She was ag certified.... the inspector informed her that she can legally sell eggs up to 90 days from laying. If they didn’t sell bring em back, re wash them, and they can be sold for up to another 90 days..... from an AZ ag inspector!!!

On another note, good on you for gettin a mess o chickens for your wife and daughter longball!

longball:
Hopefully the yard fence will keep out the domestics. As for the wild critters, they’ll have to get through a smaller chain link fence around the coup. I can also see the coup from the upstairs window and it’s well within 17HMR range. We started out wanting 8-10 but we’re already up to at least 16. Chicken math is already getting us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer Jon:
I just had a possum get in and kill a duck. The coops are inside a 4 ft tall 2x3 inch welded wire fence. Zane didn't get the coop door closed properly. Said possum took up residence under the coop. It was caught in a live trap and died from lead poisoning 2 days later. This morning I found evidence of more activity but nothing got in. We had a week of bad weather the critters are hungry.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version