GENERAL TOPICS > Our Pro-Military, Veteran, and Thin Blue Line place

Keeping the memory of a young man alive

(1/6) > >>

oklawall:
Sept 9 2011 we lost our hero in Afghanistan do to small arms fire when people from that coutry attacked his unit.

https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-sgt-bret-d-isenhower/6567969

The town that he grew up in Seminole Oklahoma has done many things to honor his memory and I just wanted to share. My step daughter Krysten wanted to do something to honor her brother and to keep him alive in people memorries and to remind them that freedom is not free. Brett loved to run which he did a lot. One New Year eve he and his Frat brother ran a relay from Seminole to Ada (30 miles) oh and it was about 15 deg outside all because someone said they couldn't do it. After the 1st year with out him Krysten took up running is started off with running around town but each run got longer and longer, she now has 5 marathons, 3 half and several 5K under her belt. She feels that Brett along with the Holy Spirt talks to her on these runs and gives her directions for her like along with great comfort. She and Brett had one of the best relationship that I have ever seen between a brother and sister. Well on one of these runs she got the idea of starting a 5 K run and the money would go to set up a scholarship  in Brett's name at the high school that they both graduated from. This plan started in Dec and she wanted the run to be the weekend before Memorial day! I'm here to tell you that she pulled it off, she got the city to block off roads that the runners would be on, a promotion company with timer so that it is a qualifing race for marathoners, sponsers, T shirts and medals. Never underestimate the drive of a young lady that loved her brother.

oklawall:
That was 5 years ago and on 18 May we will be having our 5th 5K in Seminole Oklahoma. Each year it has had more people attened, donate/support. This year one of the guys that was with Brett when he was killed has become a Army NG chopper pilot and is working to do a fly over (sorry Don Ithink that it will be in Blackhawks). Krysten has got the sponser letter sent out in is already working on the design for this years t-shirt. Last year several of members of the unit that Brett was in had been deployed they signed up on line and ran the 5K in the AOR.

With all that said I hope you enjoy this build thread for a 5 K run to honor a young man

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: oklawall on March 23, 2018, 09:46:15 PM ---That was 5 years ago and on 18 May we will be having our 5th 5K in Seminole Oklahoma. Each year it has had more people attened, donate/support. This year one of the guys that was with Brett when he was killed has become a Army NG chopper pilot and is working to do a fly over (sorry Don Ithink that it will be in Blackhawks). Krysten has got the sponser letter sent out in is already working on the design for this years t-shirt. Last year several of members of the unit that Brett was in had been deployed they signed up on line and ran the 5K in the AOR.

With all that said I hope you enjoy this build thread for a 5 K run to honor a young man

--- End quote ---
BlackHawks or not, that is one honorable and cool thing to have happen. Congrats on pulling all this off, and my sincere condolences for your unfathomable loss.

I could donate a signed copy of my book as a door prize if you'd like...

wyorunner:
Website where one could sign up if they were able to make it to town?

oklawall:

--- Quote from: wyorunner on March 23, 2018, 10:30:20 PM ---Website where one could sign up if they were able to make it to town?

--- End quote ---
Per your request

https://www.signmeup.com/site/online-event-registration/124352

If your on Facebook Krysten puts most of the stuff on there it is SSgt Bret Isenhower memorial 5K we do have several people that run the race virtually

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-P907A using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version