VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Vehicle Related Discussion

**UPDATED** Mrs. Stewie wants me in a larger vehicle

(1/13) > >>

stewie:
Yep. My granola burner (subaru forester) is paid off, in great shape, but some [expletive] in a vehicle with a bumper that would have bashed my head felt the need to almost t-bone me yesterday for whatever reason... he felt the need to gun his HEMI and not let me merge right at the last minute. (we can discuss what i really think of the guy and his truck later). I knew once i told her what happened that would be the straw that broke the camels back. She's been wanting me to upgrade since we moved, but I don't want to take on ANYMORE debt especially since we're adopting.

Anyway. We have the Suburban 2500 which we love. It's my wife's truck, but i use it alot for towing and hauling. It gets ALOT of mileage due to this.

If i did go into a larger vehicle, i need to make sure what I am going into

1) does not put me in debt
2) is mechanically sound
3) fits my needs

I WOULD like a diesel, but am open to a 6.0 gas, etc... I don't care for mods or any of that stuff. I am VERY utilitarian. Need 4wd out here on my farm and since this will replace my daily driver, it has to ride nice and be comfortable.

I don't want to trade in a near perfectly working car for some junker with 300,000 miles on it just to say i have a larger vehicle.

So, what i am looking at are these:

Silverado 2500 - 2002 +
Silverado 1500 - 2009 +

Possibly a Ford 250 with the 6.0 powerstroke if i know the header issues were addressed (i see these pickups everywhere out here)

I need 5-8000 lb towing, dual/quad cab

I'm leaning towards the Silverado 1500, but need to know what years to avoid and what to look for.

BobbyB:
Before I bought my recent Jeep I was looking around at something bigger. The 6.0s kept popping back into my mind due to the same reason there are a lot of them around my area. I tend to think of how easy parts are to come by without going to a city if I can avoid it.

stlaser:
Stewie, I don’t care what has been fixed on a 6.0L ford I would not take one if you gave it to me & that’s after having towed with an 2004 flawlessly pulling a 16k enclosed trailer for over 150K before it started to try & put me in the poor house. Buyer beware

stewie:

--- Quote from: BobbyB on April 07, 2018, 08:52:02 AM ---Before I bought my recent Jeep I was looking around at something bigger. The 6.0s kept popping back into my mind due to the same reason there are a lot of them around my area. I tend to think of how easy parts are to come by without going to a city if I can avoid it.

--- End quote ---

the suburban has the 6.0 vortec and out here, you cant swing a cat w/o hitting 10 of those and possibly 15 silverado 1500's with the 5.3.

This is kind of the basis for my searching but i would like 4wd (very hard to find here)
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/730871062/overview/

stewie:

--- Quote from: stlaser on April 07, 2018, 08:56:19 AM ---Stewie, I don’t care what has been fixed on a 6.0L ford I would not take one if you gave it to me & that’s after having towed with an 2004 flawlessly pulling a 16k enclosed trailer for over 150K before it started to try & put me in the poor house. Buyer beware

--- End quote ---

i've since elimited the 6.0 powerstroke from my searching.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version