Hello Guest

Author Topic: Great Lake Off Road aka GLO  (Read 5219 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Great Lake Off Road aka GLO
« on: April 17, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »
Ok, so those of you who know me are aware that I sold in 2015 this company I started back in 2002. I did so in part to make the move to Colorado easier or to make the transition go smoother. The other part was that I needed a break. I had been the GM over a large laser fabrication shop for 16 years and that in of itself was a 7 day a week 24 hour gig. I then started GLO and my wife and I ran that while she went through nursing school. As if that wasn’t enough we had a small real estate development (more of a holding co really) company and our farm which I contracted out. So that’s the back story really.

In Jan of 15 I sold the company to Mike a good friend who I was in business with prior on another venture. You may recognize him as someone whom I’ve asked you to pray for in the past. Since he bought GLO he has had some major medical hurdles. It has gotten to the point where the company is too much and something had to give. So Mike called me and explained the situation. It wasn’t something he wanted to do and with everything he has going on his hand was forced, back against a wall situation.

In the past three years I did what I do & started a steel brokerage company. It’s small but we have a few clients here on the front range we service regularly. It doesn’t keep me near as busy as I used to be but it’s flexible and allows me to be around for my teenage daughters. For the record when they were young I was not around. I was in fact a workaholic for lack of a better definition. If there was an opportunity in business I went for it. Family was not my priority and well let’s just say I have changed in that regards.

So as of last Friday my brokerage company bought the remaining assets of GLO from Mike. The plan is to revamp the business I sold and rebuild it. It compliments my steel brokerage side of things and with the help of some very smart individuals I will undertake this opportunity over the next few months. I wanted it to be announced here first as you guys are like family.

So if you would say a prayer that this acquisition & transition goes smoothly for all parties involved I would appreciate it. Thank you, ST
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Great Lake Off Road aka GLO
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 11:11:38 PM »
Prayers that the Lord lead you to the right place and help you make wise decisions.

And good for you to make family a priority.  Time slips away quickly.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 11:16:10 PM »
Done. I'm sure it will go well.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 12:47:16 AM »
Sounds like it is something you wanted in the long run. Prayers sent for all, but keep the family first!

Will GLO remain where it is or move out near you?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 06:58:26 AM »
Prayers sent for all involved - go get em Shawn!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 07:34:25 AM »
Prayers sent but it sounds like you have a good plan, the experience to pull it off and your priorities straight.  Exciting.   :popcorn:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »
Oh yea! H E R E we go again!

I am pleased by this. GLO made some good stuff (Except for that diff cover on my truck that nearly rusted through) and it served to keep you occupied.

I've said it in private, but I'll say it publically. Use this platform to advertise or promote your stuff Shawn. This web site is a family, a larger one than I was blessed with, so I and we all draw from it What folks do here is good stuff, so why shouldn't people of this family and the kingdom of God be blessed by Real Man

BTW, any of you boneheads ever figure out RealMan? Real man is Jesus. He is the finest example of a real man I can think of, and I believe he blesses through this site. So may this RealMan web site bless the continued saga of RealMan!

And since GLO is clearly now a company of RealMan (In more ways than one, it needs a moderator.

Ken, you are appointed moderator over GLO. Try and keep that thing under some control if you can. If you can't both of you are fired!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »
Maybe a link to them? Someone has to be first

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

JR, the fact is that I was content when I sold it and had my auctions for the remaining equipment & tonnage. If I had my preference I would not have it back. But in life sometimes you don't get your first choice. Take my wife, I probably wasn't her first choice!  :tongue: So you have two options always, glass half full or glass half empty. I do know this business or used to and I know who to call to make things happen. So as an optimistic person it will be half full for me.

As far as logistics, still much is up in the air. In a perfect world I would touch every part before it gets shipped which is what used to happen but all my suppliers were within 40 minutes of me so that made it easier to do so. Today my suppliers are from 40 minutes to 15 hours away. These parts are steel and heavy so we'll see how it all works out. So I need to crunch numbers and look at the landscape. I have a lot of data to scroll through to get a feel for how I should progress forward. Currently my plan is to head back to Indiana the end of this month. I'll meet with some old vendors and sort through what's left of inventory or what I just purchased etc.

Don, the intent of those diff covers were to be bashed up against rocks. I made no claim to their durability stuck in a mulch bed and watered twice a day......

I did contact Don, initially I think in the 24 hours of craziness when I decided to go this route. I'm not sure why exactly I contacted him but I felt compelled to do so. One thing we decided was when the GLO site gets a rework is to change the link for Cmax from that heathen overrun D site to the RM site. The thought was to maybe inspire some godless customers of GLO to come here and partake. So we will be doing that once I get actual control of that site starting next month.

Oh and Ken, you're getting fired!!!! lol

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »
Maybe a link to them? Someone has to be first

Let me get it reworked and proper then I'll post a link.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 11:16:02 AM »
May God grant you the wisdom to see this through to better yourself and His kingdom. May he grant the patience that will be needed along the way to overcome periods of frustration and may he bless this opportunity to help in provide further for your family.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 01:05:53 PM »
Condolences and congratulations are always tough, but I'm sure Mike will have a great weight lifted off of him, you will have a new project and purpose to pursue, and hopefully many more real men will be reached through this venture. Like all here, I support you.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 02:23:50 PM »
 :likebutton:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 02:37:18 PM »
What was the boss thinkin'?. Me watching over you?  that's funny right there

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 02:54:39 PM »
What was the boss thinkin'?. Me watching over you?  that's funny right there

Right? He should know H’s stumbling is a full time gig for you already.......  :popcorn:

On a serious note, once again thank all of you for valuable insights and words of encouragement.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:55:48 PM by stlaser »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
In all seriousness, I hope you drop one of your boat anchor diff covers on your small toe. :P

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 10:13:35 PM »
So I am not familiar with what GLO is,   Great LAkes Off-road?  Is it a wheeling Park or a manufacturing type place that makes cool stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 10:44:11 PM »
It is a manufacturing company of Off Road drivetrain products for jeeps, trucks etc. we built for race and recreational vehicles. I’ve had parts we built on everything from nascar to KOH race trucks & even DD grocery getters such as Cmax which apparently ruined the diff cover after getting stuck in a mulch bed for a prolonged period of time.

Now here’s the interesting part, we now know you only look at pictures Dave & do not actually read Don’s build threads...... :popcorn:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Great Lake Off Road aka GLO
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 10:46:54 PM »
I did read that don installed a diff cover but didn’t know to what extent stuff was being made, back garage shop and put together a pretty decent diff cover or more. 

I did google the site.  Lots of options I see.  Not mobile friendly

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:40:02 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 10:49:23 PM »
In all seriousness, I hope you drop one of your boat anchor diff covers on your small toe. :P

I don’t think that has ever happened, however I did have a snow plow lift cylinder roll off a table & drop directly on the top of my foot where the metatarsal guard should have been but wasn’t. For the record I never wore steel toed protection etc all the years I worked in steel shops. I like my toes attached, kind of fond of them that way. My theory was I will take them smashed but still attached.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 10:52:47 PM »
I did read that don installed a diff cover but didn’t know to what extent stuff was being made, back garage shop and put together a pretty decent diff cover. 

Yeah, I’m guessing that site is somewhere between 8-12 years old now. It was the second site I created & then Mike started selling randy’s Parts and instead of freshening it up they just kind of added their stuff in. I think it leaves a lot to be desired & we’ll be addressing that soon.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 12:00:40 AM »
I did read that don installed a diff cover but didn’t know to what extent stuff was being made, back garage shop and put together a pretty decent diff cover. 

It is a remarkable piece. Simply unbreakable. I have bashed it so many times. Broken things near it, but only ever had to wire brush mine down and repaint it. I have them on both diffs on SquareD and on the read diff on C-Max

I think I'll get one for my tractors, for Chief, Sarge and Spud as well.

Shawn builds some good stuff!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 12:19:14 AM »
Thank you Don

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »
I agree with both of the above comments. Shawn does build some very high quality stuff, and the website was a very poor showing. we'll remedy that shortly though. In keeping with Throwback Thursday: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-0708-bulletproof-test/#photo-20

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »
I agree with both of the above comments. Shawn does build some very high quality stuff, and the website was a very poor showing. we'll remedy that shortly though. In keeping with Throwback Thursday: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-0708-bulletproof-test/#photo-20

That’s great!

“GLO Uparmored.....caliber rated: Bulletproof”

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 12:58:07 PM »

Thanks Tate, that was a great throwback btw. I miss dealing with Christian and Pete @ JP Magazine (rest in peace buddy)..........

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 11:38:08 PM »
Just don't run over them Don,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 08:06:26 AM »

JR, I doubt I have a picture still but when I first built the 60 cover we took one of my father in law’s excavators & sat a single bucket tooth on the cover. Then lifted the front end of the track several feet in the air. That was our first marketing campaign......

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 10:27:43 AM »
You could use those things as jack stands, or in my old profession, as chest armor plates!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 05:03:35 PM »
Sounds like a great marketing campaign. M855 at 100 yards.

Reminds me of the time I POd the Baytown PD by shooting up their steel plates with some penetrator ammo by mistake. 

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »

Reminds me of the time I POd the Baytown PD by shooting up their steel plates with some penetrator ammo by mistake. 

I did that to my buddies spinner plates up in the north woods  :shocked:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 07:09:39 PM »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2019, 09:35:18 PM »
Latest Update:

New changes are coming, progress forward. Some of it is top secret so its an unmentionable at this point. However, we do have a few things that have been declassified. First of which are new NP205 mounts. I have yet to check the patterns on hard parts, need to pull a 205 from the pile and check. I do believe the round pattern is off a little on the holes. Yeah, I know measure twice cut once. However, it was a deal where I had to get other parts coming so I pulled the trigger early. I will check them and document so that you know whats up but will probably move them at reduced cost etc so may be an opportunity. Still need to finish up the bushing and tab mounts etc for all three.

Next up is that we have been in process of our first revision to our diff covers in almost 20 years. We are upgrading the cover flange mounts to accept lube locker gaskets. In addition we have started selling a new 13 bolt 14 bolt cover so you can easily gain a 1" addition of clearance on this diff with the use of a Sawzall if nothing else. So still lots of options and adding more a couple of which are in the T.S. file at the moment.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2019, 11:29:07 PM »
OK, I need a cover with more clearance, have thought about that!! I think I have a later 14bt with dics, are the newer ones metric?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2019, 11:37:34 PM »
JR, 14 bolt is a 14 bolt then they went aam however the newer 14 bolts have the ribbed or finned housing and the tubes do not taper down when going into center chunk (better all around). You may want to hold off for T.S. Upgrade on this (hoping to release info this week possibly).

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2019, 11:49:33 PM »
When your ready. Bout ready for the Burb to get on the road again. Using the DMax for a DD is racking up the miles!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2019, 11:55:25 PM »
When your ready. Bout ready for the Burb to get on the road again. Using the DMax for a DD is racking up the miles!

Pm me your number and I’ll call you tomorrow we can discuss. It may be way more than you want or need.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »
So I'm working on a few things. As mentioned we are in the process of updating our covers to accept lube locker gaskets. We are also adding load bolts to several cover designs. This is a picture of an older gasket (non lube locker) 14 bolt with load bolts. Since these axles are plentiful a lot of guys are building them for 14 bolt front axles. This runs the pinion on the coast side of the gear. Add large tires and hp and pretty soon the carrier bearing are making the caps that hold them look egg shaped. This allows the ring gear to be the sacrificial lamb in that setup. By adding our cover (which is strong by design) with the additional load bolts pushing into the caps this keeps the carrier from wanting to push away from the pinion.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:21:10 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2019, 07:32:41 PM »
Pretty cool. Learned something new.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2019, 10:09:08 PM »
Um time to explain in more detail or simpler terms.  What do load bolts do? Lol

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2019, 10:51:09 PM »
Um time to explain in more detail or simpler terms.  What do load bolts do? Lol

Simple explanation: you add big motor, big tires, a guy named Dave driving (technically this part isn’t necessary but it fit) & a heavy right foot. Motor screams (think top fuel dragster), tires are a bouncing and making go go. Then the axle makes a funny bunch of noises and no go no more.  :tongue:

Add load bolts and GLO cover, fun never stops! Plenty of go go forever.  :beercheers:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:53:04 PM by stlaser »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2019, 11:30:33 PM »
Lol
After fighting this tire for a hour I’ll take it!!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2019, 11:35:02 PM »
Lol
After fighting this tire for a hour I’ll take it!!

Well, the end result looks good and I bet it’ll be fun  :likebutton:

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »
So I'm working on a few things. As mentioned we are in the process of updating our covers to accept lube locker gaskets. We are also adding load bolts to several cover designs. This is a picture of an older gasket (non lube locker) 14 bolt with load bolts. Since these axles are plentiful a lot of guys are building them for 14 bolt front axles. This runs the pinion on the coast side of the gear. Add large tires and hp and pretty soon the carrier bearing are making the caps that hold them look egg shaped. This allows the ring gear to be the sacrificial lamb in that setup. By adding our cover (which is strong by design) with the additional load bolts pushing into the caps this keeps the carrier from wanting to push away from the pinion.

Mighty fine lookin' piece of art there Shawn. if any of your customers are interested Jim at Torq is doing reverse cut 14 bolt gears; running on the drive side for those front diffs in high pinion custom centers. about 30-40% stronger that way. do you think you have enough side to side in the relief for that? Might be worth a call in to him to see if he wants to sling some of your Picassos.  :beercheers:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2019, 10:50:38 AM »
Thanks Tate, still early and lacking caffeine not quite following on your relief cut comment?

Who is building the housing for those custom 14 bolt high pinions (assuming drop out third setup)?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2019, 11:55:27 AM »
with a reverse cut/high pinon, some covers are not interchangeable. the relief i'm talking about is the "bump out" in the covers. if there's enough room for the ring gear being in a different location etc.

Jim Jackson at Torq development is making the housings, and yes, dropout style... oh, I see what you did there; covers don't work too well for dropouts. apparently I don't have enough caffeine yet either... carry on

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »
with a reverse cut/high pinon, some covers are not interchangeable. the relief i'm talking about is the "bump out" in the covers. if there's enough room for the ring gear being in a different location etc.

Jim Jackson at Torq development is making the housings, and yes, dropout style... oh, I see what you did there; covers don't work too well for dropouts. apparently I don't have enough caffeine yet either... carry on

Correct, no cover on those but you have peaked my interest. I have a couple thoughts but need to check into the torq product first.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2019, 09:22:34 PM »
Nice looking covers, sadly I can't buy one. Jeep wanted to make things hard for me to upgrade anything really.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal