TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Logan 820 vintage shop lathe 10 x 24

(1/9) > >>

stlaser:
Ok, so I’ve been itching for a small shop lathe. I had a large Warner swasey engine lathe in my first shop years ago. At present time I don’t have space or need for that monstrosity & capability.

What I really wanted is a south bend heavy 10. I can find quite a few on the east coast and not much here local for sale. My requirements were 10inch swing min x 20-40 inch min work space between uprights with threading capability & single phase power. Good V ways were also a requirement. I wanted something that has been taken care of because I have enough projects. I am not looking at Mathews precision or grizzly as there are plenty of American made pieces in the small tool room size type of lathe of vintage heritage. Most of these the parts are available or can be made to fix just about anything on them. Then there was Ken’s issue that I do not want a repeat of either. Honestly, Ken’s issue wasn’t a factor in any way but giving him grief is always fun. I wanted American steel & structural rigidity. Unlike the American  mills you can find vintage small American lathe units in good shape.

So after searching for a heavy 10 for some time I stumbled upon a Logan 10 x 36 in use. The Logan is a heavy machine at around 800# and by all rights comparable to the SB H10. It has a new motor on it with a few other things being touched up recently. It has a 24” bed on it now which was a new replacement part that this owner was able to find and install. Yeah, wish it was the full 36 but realistically I probably do not need more than 24” of work space.

The downside, it’s three hours up into the Rockies to inspect it, so after much discussion & back and forth I am headed there tomorrow with trailer in tow.

stlaser:
Picture of said unit. Comes with live center, 3 jaw chuck, real Jacobs chuck, tail stock is MT#3 taper, 3/4” thru spindle, lantern style tool post, spindle is threaded 1.5-8 I believe so should be easy to pick up a 4 jaw down the road.

Quote of what is new or upgraded

replaced the motor, and several gears in the screw cutting mechanism, plus cleaned and tuned the machine. It has new belts, and new electrical connections/switches etc. The bed is new vintage, just shorter than original.

KensAuto:
 love that old iron. If I took machining more serious, that's the path I would've went down.
I might have an extra 4 jaw...china though

stlaser:
Ken, if I get this let’s discuss that 4 jaw. What diameter?

I like my MP mill, but still miss my BP with v belts. A lot of things I would sidestep and not fixture properly but could work fast on the BP. Granted I stopped the spindle on more than one occasion with one arm and 6 inches of leverage. I don’t dare try that on the MP with geared head....

Still recall a good friend / racer who passed almost two years ago now. I sponsored his race team & who was quite the character btw. He stops by one evening with a set of race beadlock wheels which needed the lug holes opened up so he could run larger studs and a Milwaukee impact which was stored in the truck. Funny part was he expected me to fixture those wheels 40 different times because his uncle machinist said so. I told him to grab the wheels with his d*** beaters and hold on! Pretty sure we knocked that out in under a half hour & no one lost any body parts either.

Hard to beat the old iron, when I get my next place with a real separate shop again I will be buying a BP mill & a larger engine lathe just because.... :tongue:

TexasRedNeck:
Shawn I’d love to have a lathe about that size.  I have a lot to learn and haven’t run one since metal shop in high school.

Keep me in mind if you get your new shop and want to off load that one.

Maybe by then I’ll have a good place for one. Gotta add onto the shop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version