TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Alternative Energy

Wood Fired Boiler Install

(1/106) > >>

Flyin6:
Well, folks, never to be stationary long enough to allow grass (Even Kentucky blue grass) to grow under my feet, I started a big home improvement project, installing a wood fired boiler to heat my large home.

I have been thinking about this for years. Last February, I received an electric bill for nearly $750 for one month! That tripped the "need to do something" switch and this is where I arrived. As many of you know I also own a farm with at least 60 acres of timber, and a saw mill which produces a lot of scrap.

My summer electric bill averages right at $200 a month which includes the AC, washer/Dryer, electric stove and hot water heater. I use a heat pump which is marginally effective at heating in zone 5. When it starts falling into the lower 30's there isn't much ambient to grab so the electric heaters fire up and drain my checking account.

With the wood fired boiler, I will now heat 100% with wood. The thing will also make all my hot water, so during the cold months I will only need sparks for washing dirty clothes, watching the TV, cookin' turkeys and keeping myself from stumblin' around in the dark. I should see an electric bill somewhere from $100-$130 ish I estimate.

I selected an EZ Boiler rated to heat a 7500 square foot house. I will use it to also heat both of my garages, something which I have never had in my life! I will only have to command pre-rangers to cut and stack wood to stay as cozy as a bug in a rug.

The project is coming in at around $7000 ish with me doing the installation myself. That makes for a nice opportunity to document the installation for you fence sitters out there thinking about doing the same thing

The company:
https://www.ezboilers.com/

The unit:

Nate:
something from left field......this is definitely interesting!

cudakidd53:
For Christmas, each Pre-ranger will get their own Stihl with strict instructions to not ever set it down when Chief is near a lawn mowing implement and to go forth and blaze a trail or two!  Gun are so Last Year now...... :likebutton:

Bob Smith:

Who are you hiring to dig the trenches? You wouldn't even think of doing that yourself given your track record with equipment would you.... :beercheers:

Good way to get rid of the scraps at the farm. Will the cedar slab wood work ok or burn too fast?
Taking turns filling up the stove or you just get to do it since you changed the heat source.

stlaser:
Nice thing about those is if you get a large enough door you really don’t need to split much wood

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version