Hello Guest

Author Topic: Steel wheels or Aluminum?  (Read 6539 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Steel wheels or Aluminum?
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
I think the last time I looked at steel wheels, procomp sold a wheel that was simple black, no pin stripe.    It was really affordable. 

In fact
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/pro-comp-97-series-rock-crawler-15x8-wheel-with-5-on-5-bolt-pattern-gloss-black-97-5873/_/R-FPWF-97-5873

Pretty hard to beat it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Almost exactly what I am looking for, am looking at Dave

either 16 X 10 or 17 X 9

Still thinking about cams/heads/torque converters. tire diameter, power range, and tire availability for super cheap tires

Here's the point where I have evolved to

Brand names are meaning less and less

Case in point is my John Deere tractor. Used to be the cadillac of tractors. Now just the same as the run of the mill units, although still trying to command premium dollars

I believe that phenomena has swept the entire manufacturing sector, even tires

Granted there are some really good, premium tires out there

But the truth is our Congress moved America's manufacturing base to China. In doing so, they now build over there with the most modern technology, better than a lot of our heavily regulated and taxed stuff

The result is that American companies are really just manufacturing in China, or India, or Korea instead of here (In large part)

So cheapo korean and chinese tires are really just as good as BF goodrich, Goodyear and most others. So why pay $369 a tire for a BFG when I can get a Kanitia with the exact same tread pattern (Read: Stolen technology) for $191?

So, with respect to this burb build of mine, I am either buying GM parts, things made strictly in the USA or going to quality cheapo chinaman stuff. With the wheels...Well, what are wheels anyway? Either you use them to fill the air-gap between your hubs and the tire beads or you use them to make some statement about your manhood or something like that.

I'm all over that. Do ya dubs, all $2000 of them and roll on (From payment to payment) or just foll the void with something servin' a purpose.

This time I'm just doing the latter. Lost my man card to the poodle or doodle thing, so no longer have anything to prove. But I do need something to maintain air pressure and center the tire on the brake rotor, so a wheel is a wheel to me at the moment.

See that? That's how to turn a simple wheel discussion into a political and character discussion...I'm good! ;-))
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:08:25 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2018, 11:28:24 AM »
Great Lake Off Road, 100% American made in fly over country with smart butt commentary added at no extra charge!

Stay away from rock crawler wheels, other than that I think you’re ok. I welded on a set once and they were made out of some really odd material FYI....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2018, 12:16:14 PM »
I think the last time I looked at steel wheels, procomp sold a wheel that was simple black, no pin stripe.    It was really affordable. 

In fact
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/pro-comp-97-series-rock-crawler-15x8-wheel-with-5-on-5-bolt-pattern-gloss-black-97-5873/_/R-FPWF-97-5873

Pretty hard to beat it

either 16 X 10 or 17 X 9

Still thinking about cams/heads/torque converters. tire diameter, power range, and tire availability for super cheap tires

Case in point is my John Deere tractor. Used to be the cadillac of tractors. Now just the same as the run of the mill units, although still trying to command premium dollars

But the truth is our Congress moved America's manufacturing base to China. In doing so, they now build over there with the most modern technology, better than a lot of our heavily regulated and taxed stuff

The result is that American companies are really just manufacturing in China, or India, or Korea instead of here (In large part)

So cheapo korean and chinese tires are really just as good as BF goodrich, Goodyear and most others. So why pay $369 a tire for a BFG when I can get a Kanitia with the exact same tread pattern (Read: Stolen technology) for $191?

So, with respect to this burb build of mine, I am either buying GM parts, things made strictly in the USA or going to quality cheapo chinaman stuff. With the wheels...Well, what are wheels anyway? Either you use them to fill the air-gap between your hubs and the tire beads or you use them to make some statement about your manhood or something like that.

I'm all over that. Do ya dubs, all $2000 of them and roll on (From payment to payment) or just foll the void with something servin' a purpose.

This time I'm just doing the latter. Lost my man card to the poodle or doodle thing, so no longer have anything to prove. But I do need something to maintain air pressure and center the tire on the brake rotor, so a wheel is a wheel to me at the moment.

See that? That's how to turn a simple wheel discussion into a political and character discussion...I'm good! ;-))
I can’t believe I read all of that

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »

In fact

Pretty hard to beat it

either 16 X 10 or 17 X 9

OUCH,

Got a new movie name for ya, "Dons world, How I stooped hating the man and to love the Chinaperson"

Most likely this will get me banned or outlawed or some combination of the two!

But I agree with 90% of what you said.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:03:31 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
Phil, it’s ok the dark side isn’t that bad!  :evil:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2018, 02:53:23 PM »
Don ain’t it funny how much more private outfits pay you to get shot at than Uncle Sam? Most of the guys I know that retired or got out made up for lost time (and $)as a contractor.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »

In fact

Pretty hard to beat it

either 16 X 10 or 17 X 9

OUCH,

Got a new movie name for ya, "Dons world, How I stooped hating the man and to love the Chinaperson"

Most likely this will get me banned or outlawed or some combination of the two!

But I agree with 90% of what you said.
Naw, you got on my good side
Bonus points, stored in the RM bank. You can redeem for support in areas where you feel out gunned or when arguing with a Dave.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2018, 12:42:24 PM »
Don ain’t it funny how much more private outfits pay you to get shot at than Uncle Sam? Most of the guys I know that retired or got out made up for lost time (and $)as a contractor.

Trump made an argument for a private contractor armee. Dunno, that could go either way

Thing is you don't get to do the contractor thing without first serving the uncle. It is there you break things, wreck vehicles and crash aircraft. After getting all of that out of your system, you graduate to operating old junk for a lot of money and it's the wisdom, in my view that added to the experience that gets the job done.

But could you create a contractor Armee out of 20 year olds? Never. Gotta get the seasoned, pissed off old/middle aged cuss that just isn't going to put up with a bunch of nonsense. We don't ask permission to shoot you, we just shoot you and revel in the silence.

Silence is golden!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »
Rofl. Sounds like wisdom!

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2018, 05:42:12 PM »

Trump made an argument for a private contractor armee. Dunno, that could go either way

Thing is you don't get to do the contractor thing without first serving the uncle. It is there you break things, wreck vehicles and crash aircraft. After getting all of that out of your system, you graduate to operating old junk for a lot of money and it's the wisdom, in my view that added to the experience that gets the job done.

But could you create a contractor Armee out of 20 year olds? Never. Gotta get the seasoned, pissed off old/middle aged cuss that just isn't going to put up with a bunch of nonsense. We don't ask permission to shoot you, we just shoot you and revel in the silence.

Silence is golden!

Or other governments left over/captured equipment or new equipment that makes it way into areas it not supposed to be. 

One big caveat is in a lot of cases you are on your own if things go bad, its VERY important you understand what and what will not be done for you before you sign up to be a contractor/observer.

This thread got way off track, weren't we comparing the strength of steel vs aluminum or something like that?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2018, 07:22:12 PM »
I wish we were debating the merits of steel or aluminum, but much the same as herding cats, holdin' on to a handful of wigglers, or getting a liberal to listen, I just can't manage to steer the conversation

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2018, 08:26:20 PM »
Did you just call me a lib? That’s just down right RUDe!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
Easy Dave, pretty sure he was talking about Ken right there....

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2018, 12:45:59 AM »
I think we need some clarification on this on

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2018, 06:30:14 AM »
My $0.02: Steel wheels are cheaper, easier to fix, and more durable. The only downside, IMO, is weight. Both for having to change a tire and as a drain on HP. Aluminum means less strain on your back with big meats.

There, I steered things back on topic. You're welcome, Big D!  :wink:
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2018, 09:55:30 AM »
I think we need some clarification on this on

No, bonehead
Not kallin' ya anythin'
But I'm about to!
Now shut the cake hole and move out smartly!
;-))

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »
My $0.02: Steel wheels are cheaper, easier to fix, and more durable. The only downside, IMO, is weight. Both for having to change a tire and as a drain on HP. Aluminum means less strain on your back with big meats.

There, I steered things back on topic. You're welcome, Big D!  :wink:
Thank Ya

Perfect example here people

When things are amuck

It takes big Armee to get things back straight again

Hats off to the cavalryman!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2018, 01:11:54 AM »
Dang, this is fun!!!!  :popcorn:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal