Hello Guest

Author Topic: Storage cabinet for the bed or back of your SUV  (Read 6097 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Storage cabinet for the bed or back of your SUV
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2019, 01:31:48 PM »
No, Sail-rite builds trains.

smh
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2019, 01:58:40 PM »
Nice job chief! I don’t know much about wood so me personally would run something like that until it fell apart.

Fabric on the other hand, I look forward to seeing how that felt holds up. As it’s not very good stuff. If I was a guessing kind of guy the stuff in the drawers will disintegrate in short order and the stuff on top will begin to pill and show wear in similar fashion. I have used that brand of felt and color for key chains, and this is what it does in your pocket. Same brand in black and white, we’ve used full bolts of the stuff!

If you ever have to replace the felt check out sailrite they’ll have something a we bit more industrious. But that felt serves the exact purpose your looking for, cheap and effective.... for a time :)

Again, nice work!

Sailrite? The marine outfit?

Yea that one. Their fabric, canvas, sail cloth selection is vast. It’s where a lot of camper builders/re-furbers purchase material. Specifically the ones who have a pop top partial soft sided pickup camper.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/RV-and-Auto-Fabric/Car-and-RV-Covers?t=1546455335061

Of course it’s a little more spendy than Joann’s but it’s aimed at a different long term use. If I attempt a redo of a seat of bench seats we have I’ll purchase upholstery cloth from there....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2019, 02:38:34 PM »
No, Sail-rite builds trains.

smh

Just checking it was the same company out of Columbia city Indiana, my good friend does their website.... butthead! :tongue:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2019, 02:55:16 PM »
Well, as long as the doors are closed he should be fine though. Plus with things hidden, why break in?

What about Teflon tape on the slides if they are stiff? I found some on ebay pretty easy.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2019, 04:53:50 PM »
Nice job chief! I don’t know much about wood so me personally would run something like that until it fell apart.

Fabric on the other hand, I look forward to seeing how that felt holds up. As it’s not very good stuff. If I was a guessing kind of guy the stuff in the drawers will disintegrate in short order and the stuff on top will begin to pill and show wear in similar fashion. I have used that brand of felt and color for key chains, and this is what it does in your pocket. Same brand in black and white, we’ve used full bolts of the stuff!

If you ever have to replace the felt check out sailrite they’ll have something a we bit more industrious. But that felt serves the exact purpose your looking for, cheap and effective.... for a time :)

Again, nice work!

Yea that one. Their fabric, canvas, sail cloth selection is vast. It’s where a lot of camper builders/re-furbers purchase material. Specifically the ones who have a pop top partial soft sided pickup camper.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/RV-and-Auto-Fabric/Car-and-RV-Covers?t=1546455335061

Of course it’s a little more spendy than Joann’s but it’s aimed at a different long term use. If I attempt a redo of a seat of bench seats we have I’ll purchase upholstery cloth from there....

small world, great company btw
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2019, 06:06:57 PM »

Again, nice work!

small world, great company btw

This is great to hear! I personally have not yet purchased from them, my brother on the other hand, has quite a bit for his from scratch pickup camper build.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2019, 07:47:20 PM »
I ran across this on the interwebs...

https://youtu.be/d-BWmPaBfjQ

Some good parts and some bad parts but some other things to consider
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2019, 01:40:30 AM »
Bad being that beard shave adventure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »
well for a guy with that much woodworking equipment, he didnt use a drop of glue. - bad
i liked the way he installed the carpet on the bottom of the drawers and then attached the sides
the poly sliders on the bottom seems like a good idea too.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »
I liked the sliders and spacers. All the weight is on the sliders. Latches were a bit busy for me.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2019, 07:19:01 PM »
well for a guy with that much woodworking equipment, he didnt use a drop of glue. - bad
i liked the way he installed the carpet on the bottom of the drawers and then attached the sides
the poly sliders on the bottom seems like a good idea too.
I liked that too
Better than my idea
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2019, 07:39:38 PM »
Both are workable.  Remember he has a solid bottom and it was in the bed of a truck.  As long as you aren't filling those drawers tip to tip with M855 I doubt you'll ever have problems with them.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2019, 08:01:57 PM »
I think your slides are fine Don. Just worried about the drawer bottoms not holding up.

Did you try yours with the Dog  :cool:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2019, 09:16:27 PM »
Both are workable.  Remember he has a solid bottom and it was in the bed of a truck.  As long as you aren't filling those drawers tip to tip with M855 I doubt you'll ever have problems with them.
I don't think I'll have any issue either. 3/8" plywood spanning what, 18" is not stressing anything. And I don't see having any concentrated loads in there however more evenly distributed loading. Clothing, food, a camp stove, things like that is what I envisioned for that space.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2019, 09:17:01 PM »
I think your slides are fine Don. Just worried about the drawer bottoms not holding up.

Did you try yours with the Dog  :cool:
Not yet ;-)

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2019, 01:01:15 AM »
I ran across this on the interwebs...

https://youtu.be/d-BWmPaBfjQ

Some good parts and some bad parts but some other things to consider

Big bro is watching... the same video popped up for me on YouTube today... hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal