Hello Guest

Author Topic: mountain training  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
mountain training
« on: October 10, 2014, 10:23:30 AM »
so I took my platoon out last week and we conducted some mountain training.  our training consisted of a 4 mile round trip hike up a (at times) 60deg mountain trail while carrying a 30lb day pack.  the peak that I took them to was around 6000ft asl.  this was just a starter for them so I took it easy on them.  our next trip will consist of full kit and heavier packs with real equipment, going up the other side of the mountain which has en elevation of 7500ft asl.  during this trip they also learned how to properly set up security, terrain sketches, how to identify avenues of approach, etc.  the back ground of this picture you can clearly see the border of the United States of America and Mexico.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: mountain training
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »
so I took my platoon out last week and we conducted some mountain training.  our training consisted of a 4 mile round trip hike up a (at times) 60deg mountain trail while carrying a 30lb day pack.  the peak that I took them to was around 6000ft asl.  this was just a starter for them so I took it easy on them.  our next trip will consist of full kit and heavier packs with real equipment, going up the other side of the mountain which has en elevation of 7500ft asl.  during this trip they also learned how to properly set up security, terrain sketches, how to identify avenues of approach, etc.  the back ground of this picture you can clearly see the border of the United States of America and Mexico.

How dare you make aviation walk! The horror! But the scenery makes me miss working in Southern Arizona.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 01:14:39 PM »
actually everyone there minus the guy with the black backpack is a fister, the dude with the black backpack is a medic born and raised in HI and is all about doing some mountain climbing stuff.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 01:36:24 PM »
actually everyone there minus the guy with the black backpack is a fister, the dude with the black backpack is a medic born and raised in HI and is all about doing some mountain climbing stuff.

Well then, that's all good.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »
I have seriously been right on top of that hill

Weird, but just before we were pushed out of Biggs where we were on a training exercise over to Mogadishu Somalia (BlackHawk Down) I had a day off and drove out there and soloed that hill!

That's bring back memories...Two days later, the alert was called...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 01:36:38 AM »
that was right there where the solo rock stands all by itself with the little cave in it

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:57:04 AM »
...Been a Night Stalker there in days past

With you guys now, I'd say we are well represented!

Good looking team Nate

Say hello to all of em for me please.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 09:53:54 AM »
will do.  duane, do you know where this picture was taken? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal