Hello Guest

Author Topic: KALUA PORK  (Read 287 times)

Offline ZedR-1

• Registered
    • View Profile
KALUA PORK
« on: December 05, 2021, 06:59:24 AM »
I’ve been doing this couple times a year since 05
Took a long time to adjust perfection but here goes

So time to go internet shopping chances of finding all three types of Hawaiian Sea salt needed is slim to none unless your in Hawaii…
You’ll need the white, the red and the black
Do not think salt is salt, rotten pork will taste better
Certain salts have different types of algae in the water and volcanic activities going on when it’s born…
Yes born, when cooked properly it’s a religious event
Must be Hawaiian no crying if you used Himalayan from your lighted rock in the bedroom your wife loves that she got at the mall or French pink…. Never trust the French

So buy more of the white than the red and black you’ll find out in a minute

So get out your table top roaster.  You can get them for like 50 bucks to 150,  this isn’t crock pot or ninja cooker dish.  Pork has to brown some on the sides after it’s fallen apart. I have a ge 22 quart

Now you have the roaster and Hawaiian salt the rest is easy
I only know this amount I tried cutting it in half and it sucked but I have doubled it and did ok. But I slit more work because there’s not enough room in the roaster

You’ll need
3 bottles of liquid smoke colgin brand hickory flavored
1 Boston Butt
1 Shoulder
Both bone in and 5 to 8 pounds
Most times you’ll find the Butt at 8 pounds but the shoulders are smaller so you’ll need two
They need to be equal amount don’t ask why but it does, I guess it’s fat and bone in both
Cut open the big thick bag the butt comes in and lay the side with fat / skin layer down squeeze out juice from bag don’t waste goodness

Put the cooking spray up… failure to follow orders is a no go at this station …. I didn’t say anything about that, crisco, olive oil, or anything else… I know what your sweet granny said but she ain’t here.
Now the shoulder or plural fatty side down.
Go fetch your filet knife stab to pan all over, every 1.5 to 2 inch grid and twist about 15 degrees pulling blade out
Make sure meat isn’t touching sides
Now pour the 3 bottles of liquid smoke all over meat slowly let the goodness soak in
White salt ….make a mountain about the size of a silver dollar in your hand and sprinkle over meat
Get a cup of water about 8 oz and pour down side of pan
Place a sheet of aluminum foil, thick kind, over meat and place lid on top
Set roaster on 375 and walk off … no touchy

After 2 hours come back make sure you have water in bottom add a few oz if so
Lid and foil back on walk away don’t turn or touch meat let it work

Hey it’s been 2 hours, how was the movie, do it again just check water bast with ladle
It’s now been 6 hours roaster at 175 check water bast go away
It’s now 8 hours in yes you want to taste don’t because you will be praying to the porcelain gods for the next two days
should be time to shred … grab bones out that are dangerous small but leave the big ones get a count and put them at the end and shred it’s touching sides that’s cool you want it to brown a little on the tips… make sure you got water cover up and walk away
And this is the game plan for a while cause it’s supper time and this needs to cook a lot more
9 hours stir around take tips off side put new non browned meat on sides check water walk away

At 12 hours in you can cheat have some but gets way better later stir up pull back from edge
I use to do it for 14 hours but age makes it way better
 Your thinking what about the red and black salt
taste meat and this is on you ….your taste buds are different than mine try a piece now then a piece with red added and a piece with black added or both
clear your palate between tastes then sprinkle accordingly…. If you used a silver dollar of white and 5 crystals of red and black changed it for you x amount then guess how much x amounts to add but it’s going to be about half of the white …. red and black brings the pain but some just want more white

We’re at 10 hours and temps are going down to 125 check water go away if bed time add a cup of water pull meat from sides cover and go to sleep… I could never sleep smells of cooking meat can’t sleep to hungry but good night to you

Hate your alarm should sound like a LT6 Z06 v8 at 8500 rpms but since your up back to it
check water if you want more brown tips heat up to 175 place on sides watch until you turn back down over next few hours
If you don’t like all the fat juice in it tilt last couple hours but it will dry out

Last I made it ran for 27 hours
So Saturday party at 7 start Friday at 4

Now for sides coleslaw, Mac salad with diced pineapple, kings Hawaiian bread rolls or buns if doing sandwiches and if warm out or you want to be cold cover pineapple strips in honey, brown sugar , and cinnamon and grill

I like it with half a raw onion, pinto beans, fried potatoes and cornbread
But I’m a hillbilly I’ll eat that with fruity pebbles or pop tarts

Enjoy guys

Now left overs portion out put in zip lock wrap that in aluminum foil and bag again and date it
The juice Aka fat can be used in frying bacon etc etc put in cup and freeze

why are you still here !!! Really
go order salt and change your awful alarm clock Rick Ashley was never cool
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 07:45:27 AM by ZedR-1 »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: KALUA PORK
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 01:03:05 PM »
That sounds gooood!
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 01:11:17 PM »
I thought I had the right stuff but it it's Himalayan.

This is for that road kill coon cause I found him a lay'n on the road

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 04:18:02 PM »
Holy Tamale Curtis!

And you never shared this with me!

Now you could get fired on this site...Just sayin'

I gotta try some of that...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 01:23:24 PM »
Have done a similar method, but only using copious amounts of liquid smoke for about 18 hours in the oven, then as tight as can be wrapped with aluminum in the pan.

Now I just use this, cause it’s good, and very easy!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal