TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Shops Garages and Barns

Garage makeover

(1/19) > >>

Flyin6:
It is time to reorganize, clean and generally change up most things about my bigger garage (I have two on the primary house)

The one I use for most of the projects you read about here if they are automotive in nature happens in that garage. I have a dedicated 25X25 wood shop where some projects get built, and a smaller 24X24 where she used to park her car but now fills with junk err, stuff.

I started yesterday on this project, hoping to close out all of that well before I get consumed with the spring cleanup and working at the farm.

Generally, it is just a disorganized mess. I want work to flow, and things put up instead of out, gathering dust.

I started with a plan to do this in areas/stages. The recent snowfall caused something strange to happen. Because I have a continuous ridge vent, the powdery snow blown around by 50 mph winds actually piled the snow up in the ceiling space above the garage. When it warmed that snow melted and water started coming out of the ceiling at one point a ceiling 8-foot old-school fluorescent fixture ripped free from the drywall and is more or less dangling up there. The ceiling is quite high, 16 feet in there.

So, I knew I needed to fix that, and I quickly decided to swap out the fluorescent for high bay LED. I guess that started it. I figure that if I am going to get in there and start tearing things apart, I might as well just change everything I don't like.

With that thought serving as the spark, I started with the plan.

I would have already climbed up and changed out the light fixtures, but nothing is just that simple. You see my super tall 15-foot step ladder is down in my barn. And that farm is one muddy mess. So I decided while I'm waiting out a few dry days in a row to be able to get down there and not sink in some mud hole, I'd just get started on the next project, and that would be this ugly wash basin corner:

Flyin6:
I'll repaint the walls after I repair them from all manner of dents and holes. Here's the rest of that wall and work space:

Flyin6:
My plan for that corner is simple. I purchased some Gladiator garage metal cabinets which I will arrange so as to look as if it is built in.

I ordered a 36 X 72 free-standing closet cabinet, and two 30 X 31 X18 base cabinets. I'll cut in a piece of 3/4" plywood which I will waterproof and place a tub into, in the same approximate position. I'll create some sort of a black splash, perhaps out of aluminum diamond plate, and add a couple of metal wall cabinets.

I placed those on order with Lowes and I was out the door with my military discount for just under $1,500 including the tub/wash basin and fixtures.

I also picked up a gallon of Sherwin Williams interior lates in a color pretty close to what's in there already. The gallon and supplies rang up for $74

That puts the total so far at $1570.

Here is the progress of tearing out the old and cleaning the walls. I went Winchester on puddy so I suspect one of my daughters has been shopping in my garage recently!

Atkinsmatt:
Good start.

Bigdave_185:
I’ve used the galvanized roofing for my walls around my wash sink. It cleans up easy shed water just as easy and never gonna rust out in my life. That makes a good sturdy back splash if you ask me.

Good luck with organizing the wife’s stuffs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version