Hello Guest

Author Topic: Bank failure...this could be important  (Read 517 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Bank failure...this could be important
« on: March 11, 2023, 10:05:39 AM »
Silicon Valley Bank Shuttered

US regulators shut down Silicon Valley Bank yesterday in what is the second-largest failure of a financial institution in US history, following Washington Mutual during the height of the global financial crisis in 2008. Silicon Valley Bank, which caters to mostly technology workers and venture-backed companies, had roughly $209B in assets and $175B in deposits as of December.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. assumed control of Silicon Valley Bank via a new entity a day after depositors began withdrawing their money on fears of the bank's solvency, also known as a bank run (see 101). The bank's parent company's shares fell roughly 70% since it announced plans this week to raise $2.25B to shore up its balance sheet and offset nearly $2B in losses on asset sales. Trading halted yesterday after market volatility. Insured depositors will have access to their funds, typically up to $250K, Monday, the FDIC said.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Bank failure...this could be important
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 12:03:50 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 12:23:39 PM »
Financial failures/disasters often are cascade events. First one then a couple more, then a landslide. I do not think this story is over.

In 2008 some retirement funds in France started to fail. They had bought up sub-prime US mortgages...The rest is history.

Personal note: I lost over $300K on that one!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 12:30:34 PM »
Financial failures/disasters often are cascade events. First one then a couple more, then a landslide. I do not think this story is over.

In 2008 some retirement funds in France started to fail. They had bought up sub-prime US mortgages...The rest is history.

Personal note: I lost over $300K on that one!

Lol, yeah 08 hit us hard too. I don’t have a definitive number as we owned real estate and well all I know is it cost us. Definitely made it a couple interesting years as we got stuck with two mortgages during that time. We gambled all of our investments and bought the farm in July 08. My timing is impeccable…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 06:29:13 PM »
This could lead to a partial local collapse in the housing market in the San Fran area. With the state of affairs in California, I don't think the rest of the country walks away unscathed if this cascades any further. I'm watching to see what starts to shake out...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal