Hello Guest

Author Topic: Miller 211 issue  (Read 5231 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Miller 211 issue
« on: December 08, 2014, 01:40:22 AM »
Well, I thought it was an issue, but was more of a "I feel stupid" problem  ::)

Anyway got the Miller 211 Mig with dual voltage about 9 months ago. Worked great. Did a few repairs for friends and was comfy with it.

Was about to modify my 2 ton hoist so it would fold flatter and allow me to open a gate fully on the side of the house where I park the toy hauler.

Then I was welding up (or trying) a tire mount for a bud and it kept eating tips. Figured it was some sort of "contamination" in the feed, but just couldn't pin it down.

So after going through about 6 tips, checking I had gas, playing with feed and pressure I just plain gave up. Probably wasted a good 50ft of wire when the tips welded to the wire, man the nests were a B**$H!!!!!!!!!!!

Now after a couple weeks of cleaning the garage and now needing to the hoist out I am about to take the welder into the dealer and see how good the warranty really is. But first I do a little web searching and figure it is the gas causing the issues as in no flow. So as I am about to pull the plug on a new flow-meter I check it out one more time. Plenty of gas (1800psi), flow needle jumps when I squeeze the trigger but I hear nothing at the tip. So I open up the box (another nest not cleaned up) and check where the hose come into the machine.
Well low and behold I see an O ring in the open and know that something isn't right since they normally keep gas going somewhere. I loosen the thumbscrew up a little (it was snug) apply a little nose oil (dad taught me that) to the O rings and slid the assembly all the way in. Snugged up the thumbscrew and fired that puppy up. WOW, gas comes out the nozzle again.

Well now the mig is back up and I learned another lesson in checking the little things. I must have cleared a nest out of that thing 10 times and missed that. Checked the thumbscrew but just missed the hose being pushed out that 1/4 inch.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Miller 211 issue
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »
Gotta love the quick, simple fixes.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
Yup, ya need that seal!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:00:58 AM »
JR,

I have been looking at that welder for a while now and recently went in to look at all of the options at the Gas Store. The guy there recommended a Tweco 211i instead of the Miller 211. I was kind of sold on the Miller until I looked at the Tweco.

http://www.weldersupply.com/P/605/FabricatoriPartWFREESHIP

Do you use the Miller 211 in 120 or 240v mode the most? Other than the thickness of material that you can weld under 120v mode do you notice any issues?

The reason the Tweco looked good was that you could Tig weld with it as well but only either AC or DC (can't remember which). And I wouldn't know which of those is best anyway. Just wanted to learn TIG.

Thanks

Mike
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
This is my first Miller, have always been a Lincoln guy before. The machine works great vs what I posted above. I only paid $1100 out the door with a 60cf 75/25 tank.

In fact I just got this for as I always wanted to dabble in Alum some. Was just $110 shipped on the bay.

No, I have not used this machine on 110, but have welded alot with 110 before. This was on a Lincoln 125 and a 185. I didn't really like the 185, just never seemed as good as the 125 to me.

As for Tig, I have been looking at the Longevity 185i. It does Tig, Stick and a Plasma in both 110/220 and seems to get good reviews. I am finding that for around $800. Not US made but they are based out of the Bay area here (75 miles from me) so support should be no issue. I have a plasma (mastercut 42) and once you have plasma, you will always have plasma.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:40:06 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 04:20:50 PM »
JR

Thanks for the info. That spool gun looks nice! I will also check out the Longevity 185i. I would really like a plasma. They are just way to expensive normally and don't come down even on Craigslist.

I don't have 220V out in the garage yet so that is why I was looking at the dual systems until I can get that wired. WHO builds a garage / shop without 220V?? crazy
Mike

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 04:28:54 PM »
220 is easy. If you have the panel nearby you are set.

My garage didn't have 220 either, I was running a cord from the dryer to the compressor. Now I have a separate panel in the garage.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 04:51:56 PM »
JR,

I have been looking at that welder for a while now and recently went in to look at all of the options at the Gas Store. The guy there recommended a Tweco 211i instead of the Miller 211. I was kind of sold on the Miller until I looked at the Tweco.

Do you use the Miller 211 in 120 or 240v mode the most? Other than the thickness of material that you can weld under 120v mode do you notice any issues?

The reason the Tweco looked good was that you could Tig weld with it as well but only either AC or DC (can't remember which). And I wouldn't know which of those is best anyway. Just wanted to learn TIG.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

If I could offer. I have used a Miller 212 since I want to say 07, or possibly 08. I use it in 220VAC only and I can say it is a flawless Mig Machine. No telling how many 12 lb spools or are they 20 lb?? (Big ones) have run through that machine, no how many bottles. It only requires regular/routine expendables replacement and drive on.

The reason I bought it was a not so great Hobart 110/220 machine that I had just before that. When I moved up to Northern Kentucky in 1999 after my Armee days (Or was it daze?) I carried my Miller 250 with me that I had owned for a decade or more in a shop...a commercial shop I owned once. Well since I went from commercial shop down to three car garage initially, I wanted a more space conscious machine so I purchased the Hobart. Well that was the end of pretty welds and reliability until some years later, I literally gave that machine to Duane and purchased my Miller 212.

Morale of the story is buy a really good machine, and I think the Miller units are. Miller migs and Hypertherm Plasmas. A lot up front you say? Yep, sure is and brings real credence to that old phrase "You get what you pay for!

I have heard good things about Tweco, however, but Miller is a no brainer.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 05:05:38 PM »
Nice looking toy there JR!

Get any time on it yet?

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 09:02:45 AM »
JR,

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

If I could offer. I have used a Miller 212 since I want to say 07, or possibly 08. I use it in 220VAC only and I can say it is a flawless Mig Machine. No telling how many 12 lb spools or are they 20 lb?? (Big ones) have run through that machine, no how many bottles. It only requires regular/routine expendables replacement and drive on.

The reason I bought it was a not so great Hobart 110/220 machine that I had just before that. When I moved up to Northern Kentucky in 1999 after my Armee days (Or was it daze?) I carried my Miller 250 with me that I had owned for a decade or more in a shop...a commercial shop I owned once. Well since I went from commercial shop down to three car garage initially, I wanted a more space conscious machine so I purchased the Hobart. Well that was the end of pretty welds and reliability until some years later, I literally gave that machine to Duane and purchased my Miller 212.

Morale of the story is buy a really good machine, and I think the Miller units are. Miller migs and Hypertherm Plasmas. A lot up front you say? Yep, sure is and brings real credence to that old phrase "You get what you pay for!

I have heard good things about Tweco, however, but Miller is a no brainer.

I agree with you in you get what you pay for. I need to just bite the bullet and buy the Miller 212. I was looking at the 211i but the 212 makes more sense.

Before that I need to wire the garage for 220V. If you saw my frankenhouse the wiring is a mess. Started out as a Timber frame log house with a detached garage. Then they added an addition and basement that attached the house to the garage and added more bedrooms and finished basement. So the main electrical panel that comes into the house is as far away from the garage as humanly possible. So to get power form the main to the garage they ran to a panel to the new mid point of the finished basement and then wired to a panel on the wall attached to the house in the garage. 40 feet away from where I need a 220v outlet. I already added a 30amp 220V breaker to the garage panel to attach a generator (not code but quick setup in an emergency when we first moved in) so I just need to extend that circuit out to the far end of the garage.

Oh wait... that is before I insulate and sheet rock the garage... and put a heater in... working with a kerosene torpedo heater in 10 degree weather tends to slow production at least with wimpy me.  :)

So the welder might be cart before the horse but I think you are right... just get the 212 and it will incent me to get the wiring done and finish and heat the garage.

How is that for fuzzy logic..
Mike

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »
Makes sense to me!

Good call

And not because it was perhaps my suggestion

Nossir, it makes sense because it is good for you in the long run!

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »
Well, the Tools section hasn't seen much love lately so I thought I would post up my latest activity.

I had looked for months and months for a Miller 212 within a 300 mile radius on Craigslist. The new price was out of my cash bandwidth.  >:( There is a good reason that no one sells them. I looked at the Tweco but decided on getting the baby brother of the 212 and got the Miller 211i. (Pic attached) It was about $1k cheaper than the 212 and had a better factory rebate. Plus I thought I could use it on 110v until I got my shop/garage wired for 220V. SO I pulled the trigger and also got the spool gun for Aluminum and new Auto Darkening Shield and cart. I couldn't believe how fast the OTHER stuff started racking up the price.

Not sure about where you guys are from but with the whole gas bottle cartel and racket it was another $450.00 for a bottle of CO2 mix and smaller bottle of Argon for the Alum spool I want to try. Ouch! and you don't even own them! ::)

Mike

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »
I got started on that machine. You won't be disappointed.

It will run far better on 220VAC than the skinny voltage. If memory serves me correctly that machine liked to run .023" wire, whereas my bigger 212 likes to run .030. Buy 12 pound spools and don't mess with big thick welds like 3/8" and stuff like that. You should do fine on everything up to bumpers and roll bars. I welded frame connectors and roll bar tubing (.120" wall) with that machine.

Take it slow and scale your work and you will be fine.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 09:42:12 AM »
So I got it home and assembled everything and got the CO2 bottle attached. Got the first roll of wire fed through and adjusted. Ready to roll. Plugged in the 110v plug and proceeded to try and weld 3/8" steel for a receiver hitch I was making.

It would weld for about 15 seconds and POP goes the breaker. Tried a couple more times on a lower setting and still popped. Plus the weld looked like a Pigeon had welded it. That definitely put a wet towel on my enthusiasm.  Bummer. So I shut it all down and resign myself that I need to wire for 220V out in the shop/garage.

Ordered a sub panel, wire, breakers, conduit, clamps, etc.... $350.00+ at Homedepot online and picked it up the next week. The following weekend I had 220V in the shop/garage at the far stall near the door so now with my 220V extension cord I should be able to reach anywhere in the shop and also anywhere out on the asphalt pad in front. I also set up a 30amp circuit to plug in the gen set and also two spare 110V breakers for lights or outlets if needed.

I was pretty happy how it turned out. Ready to WELD again! ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:12:46 AM by cruizng »
Mike

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
Thanks Don. I think it will work out just fine for my limited skill set.

So I went back to the receiver hitch I was trying to weld on 110V and swapped the outlet to 220V and WOW!! what a difference it made. Welds like Buttah! Even makes a hack like me look good with the AutoSet feature and plenty of power. Not perfect but it will work for someone that hasn't welded much in 20 years. I did use 0.30 and seems to run good.

I finished up the receiver hitch and yes.... it is painted John Deere Blitz Black!  :) mounted to the Kubota backhoe. I wanted it so I could move and park my flatbed trailer and also drag the gravel drive.

On to other projects!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:13:59 AM by cruizng »
Mike

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 10:09:46 AM »
And since I now have 220V in the shop I decided to pull the trigger on a plasma torch as well. I had also been looking for months and months for a decent used Hypertherm 45 unit.

I found this come up at a great price and it was only about 10 miles away! I snatched it up after work a few days ago. I haven't put it to the test yet but did try it out before I bought it.

So all I need now is welding table....or just a couple of card board boxes and a wet towel... Let the SPARKs Fly!

Mike

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 05:15:39 PM »
Very nice acquisitions and upgrade to the electrical panel!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 09:07:48 PM »
Oh, very nice!!!!

I have mine setup with .025 now and it works great. Watch the cable, mine pulled out of the mount and I had no mix getting the welds. Went through a few tips until I figured it out.

Add some tube to that cart and put the plasma underneath, works great!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 08:22:20 AM »
Thanks! It is funny how the little things mess you up. When I was setting it up I hooked up the regulator and hose to unit. Turned on the CO2 and was trying to set the pressure. I thought I had a bad regulator because I wasn't getting any flow. I just got the righty tighty thing messed up and I hadn't screwed the regulator adjustment in far enough. It had to go way past what I thought. Once I did pressure popped up and I was ready to roll.

Now that the daughters prom is past and Dad duties are for the most part done. Tree falling and firewood splitting is done for now... I can get back to playing with the sparking toys.
Mike

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 08:28:01 AM »
Thanks Don. I think it will work out just fine for my limited skill set.

So I went back to the receiver hitch I was trying to weld on 110V and swapped the outlet to 220V and WOW!! what a difference it made. Welds like Buttah! Even makes a hack like me look good with the AutoSet feature and plenty of power. Not perfect but it will work for someone that hasn't welded much in 20 years. I did use 0.30 and seems to run good.

I finished up the receiver hitch and yes.... it is painted John Deere Blitz Black!  :) mounted to the Kubota backhoe. I wanted it so I could move and park my flatbed trailer and also drag the gravel drive.

On to other projects!
Love it!
Personal empowerment is what I see here. A man takes charge of the situation and gets it done...This is a little bit of the spirit that built this country!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 08:30:24 AM »
Lovin that H-therm as well.
I have that Hypertherm 45, and it is about the best that one can own.
You are well equipped now for more aggressive sparky projects

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal