Hello Guest

Author Topic: Long Range Shooting  (Read 10679 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Long Range Shooting
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2015, 03:58:31 PM »
Haha Don. Yeah he would shoot, I would run to town for breakfast, come back, and still have time to spot the shot! I can only appreciate our guys even more after seeing what it takes to put a 308 on target at that range....you have to be really good. The wind was affecting him a bunch...like throwing the shots off 2 feet, where as our magnums were moving around about 6 inches.

Holdover on my 300 was 17.5 mils, zeroed at 200, equals a drop of about 18 feet.

Wind correction after 3 misses was 1-2 mils left

Bobby, I think it's exactly 24" iirc

That would explain the preference of Snipers for the 300WM for Long Distance Calls and the .308 for Local Calls?  :o
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »
I'm waiting for TRN to start defending his fancy $300,000,000.00  .308 . I can hear it now, "blahblahblah" ...lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2015, 08:48:57 PM »
Na,  I have and shoot both.  If all I was doing was sending rounds downrange at 900-1500 I would exclusively use the 300 with 190SMK and 71.6gns of RE22.  Its just a lot of weapon to shoot in a run and gun UKD engagement.

My little 308 with a 19.5 barrel is lighter, more compact, maneverable and I can shoot it all day without getting the yips.  And follow up shots are quicker too.  Out to 700, I'll take it over the 300 any day.

And you are correct.  The wind is the real challenge.  Distance is easy.  Just dial it and send it.  The wind read is what makes a great marksman.

The difference between mine is about 5 ft of vertical drop and about 20 inches of wind deflection for a full value 10mph wind at 1000yards.

Here the the modelling out of my ballistics program, which is pretty close to the real world dope in my log books.

And keep in mind, the 308 only has a 20 inch barrel so with a 24 inch barrel it would be a bit closer.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 08:52:45 PM »
Oh and consider this.  Any good repeatable 1MOA gun is suitable for long range engagements.  Accuracy is like horsepower.  It take a lot of money to gain a little accuracy.  Consider my 308 at a 1/4 gun vs an out of the box 1 moa gun is 7.5 inches at 1000. 

Like most wanna bees, I have more weapon than skills for sure.  My gun out shoots me all day long.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 10:18:36 PM »
All I know is that it's super fun. I wish I had more time to do it. They say there's nothing that can substitute trigger time, and I proved that this weekend. It took me a few rounds to get back in to the swing of things.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2015, 09:36:28 AM »
My gun out shoots me all day long.

Sell it, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.....

JK.  ;D
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2015, 10:56:07 AM »
Na,  I have and shoot both.  If all I was doing was sending rounds downrange at 900-1500 I would exclusively use the 300 with 190SMK and 71.6gns of RE22.

I don't have a 300WM so I haven't had the chance to try them in such a rifle, but the Berger 230gr Match Hybrid bullet is supposed to be pretty dang impressive, and is even better ballistically than all but the heaviest .338 bullets (300+ gr). Bryan Litz has a good bit of documentation on it in one of his books.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2015, 09:01:31 PM »
I probably need to expand my recipie collection.  I tend to find one that works and then spend a lot of time learning the dope and practicing.  190SMKs in my recipie really closely approximate the FGMM 190s, which means that I can pick up factory ammo and not have completely different dope.

Why I went with the 155 scenars in the 308 is a completely different story without an explanation.  They don't approximate anything.

I tend to think too practically at times.  I don't mind getting beat by guys running AW 243s all hopped up because they aren't "real life" rounds.  Thats why I like 308 specific matches.  Everyone on even footing using real world rounds.

Its really more about practicing your craft than it is the equipment 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2015, 09:07:13 PM »
My gun out shoots me all day long.

Sell it, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.....

Maybe I'd get better Karma donating it....

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2015, 10:44:31 PM »
I have a lonely spot in the safe for the orphan in question.......
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2015, 07:56:56 AM »
I'm a 155 Scenar fan as well, been shooting is for a while not. Can get them going pretty fast, and recoil is light, plus I have a Lapua distributor close as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal