Hello Guest

Author Topic: Long Range Shooting  (Read 10681 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Long Range Shooting
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:57:56 PM »
I've recently been shooting up to a 1000 yards and thought I would share. I would also like to thank Texasredneck for some guidance back when I first set up my new turreted scope.
I know there's guys shooting WAY past that mark, but 1000 is still a decent goal.
This spot I have behind my house, is good for 1500+. At 1000, I was having trouble seeing my hits....so every 5 shots I had to drive to the target to inspect. Today I made a hanger for an ar500 target I recently acquired, so now I can just listen for the "gong" sound.
Here's the "range". The pic is taken from the gun bench and end of the trail in the background is 1000.

This is looking through the new Trijicon Accupoint:

...and through the spotting scope:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:10:49 AM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Long Range Shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:16:20 AM »
This is the AR500 1/2" plate:

I wanted something lightweight, and somewhat bullet proof, so I turned to rebar.
OK, so the real reason is I have a boatload of rebar!
The top pipe is heavy walled with holes drilled larger than the hanging bars. I used the torch to bend the lower ends into hooks, to hold the plate. Washers were welded to the top of the bars, but not to the pipe. The concept is to keep everything loose, so that the plate "gongs" loudly. Chain or cable is popular for this reason, but with Ken shooting, I don't think they would last very long.
I then found some thin pipe that would slip over the main pipe and made 2 pieces about 6" long. I took 2, 100" sections of rebar, and heated the middle of them til red, then wrapped them around the short pipes, and welded them up. I capped the outer ends so the main cross pipe would bottom out.

then drilled a couple holes for pins, then welded chains to the pins.

The legs received some bracing and more torch time to bend in an offset fashion:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
Next I will weld some angle iron across the top, to deflect any high flyers. Then the hanging bars will get some flat strap welded on edge, then sharpened,  for the same reason. I'll probably leave the legs alone and see how long they last....then modify as needed.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »
I like it. You using that app you posted up before? Or something different?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 05:31:44 PM »
I don't remember posting an app, I think that was someone else.
I use Hornady Ballistic calculator to get it close. http://www.hornady.com/
After that, I log all of the elevation, windage, temps, etc. that I come up with at the range, reenter it in their system, and vola, a printable table that gets taped to the gun.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »
Ken,

I see that trusty Harbor freight welding table in the background!

Nice tables, I have two.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 06:43:36 PM »
I don't remember posting an app, I think that was someone else.
I use Hornady Ballistic calculator to get it close. http://www.hornady.com/
After that, I log all of the elevation, windage, temps, etc. that I come up with at the range, reenter it in their system, and vola, a printable table that gets taped to the gun.

You're right, it was JR. My bad.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 09:32:06 PM »
Ken,

I see that trusty Harbor freight welding table in the background!

Nice tables, I have two.
Because of you, I had 2 in the cart. Because of Ken, and the 12k winch he picked up, he had to budget one back on the shelf !

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 01:33:54 AM »
HF is like "Toys R Us" to kids.

I saw that table too, getting closer!! Need more 25% coupons!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »
I welded some angle iron to the top pipe. I've had issues with the weatherby punching holes thru angle at 600 yards, but I'm hoping at 1000+ it has lost a sufficient amount of energy and will deflect on a 45* angle.

I made these "bullet cutters" for the hanging bars.

..then some for the plate itself, to cover over the hooks and plate holes:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »
...and after sharpening and painting:

...then the rack received "bullet cutters" on the 2 front legs:

Then they were sharpened:

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:56:43 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »
The rack was painted black:

...and the plate was hung with care, in hopes that St......:

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 02:13:40 PM »
Time to get out there and knock some of that paint off!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 03:08:33 PM »
1000 yards...That is shooting!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 03:45:01 PM »
Yeah, and I learned that if you pass even the smallest amount of gas while squeezing the trigger, the bullet will land in Japan! (I shoot towards the west) haha

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 07:57:40 AM »
Yeah, and I learned that if you pass even the smallest amount of gas while squeezing the trigger, the bullet will land in Japan! (I shoot towards the west) haha
I learned way back, once you pass the 5-600 mark, the margin of error is huge. Lets see some bullet splash there Ken.
I like steel plates at range, saves so much time, looking forward to how the armour hold up. We have a heck of a time with shooting targets off at our range, you may have the solution here.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »
I think he does, although simple HD chain seems to hold up some...but not against .300 W Mags...

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 09:15:44 AM »
I have shot chain off, but most of the time, it was the bolts holding the chain. I'm looking to build stuff to last the rest of my life and beyond. This should work, in theory.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 09:45:18 PM »
I don't have much to add but wanted to bring this topic back to life. I wish I had the room at the range to shoot that distance.

I missed the chance to meet up this past winter Ken but maybe next winter it will happen.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 10:14:06 PM »
I was hoping this would stay hidden for a while! I haven't even tried the target out yet, too many irons in the fire I suppose.
Bob, winter is a long summer away from now, but I'll be waiting. haha

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 10:27:57 PM »
Ken, doesn't the welding on the AR500 render it susceptible to damage from rounds?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 02:46:20 AM »
http://www.impactdatabooks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SNIPERSHIDEBOOK

http://www.allkestrel.com/products/kestrel-3000-pocket-weather-meter?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=484806705&gclid=CjwKEAjw-ZqrBRDt_KjhjcbzhhISJAAlRGvl9_aNT9mhh9JRxUXocs5aK9gMjxKVK8RlomkfHsChyBoCySzw_wcB

http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-20-60x80mm-Spotting-Reticle-110825/dp/B004N3HHCY/ref=sr_1_3?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1432866204&sr=1-3&keywords=mil+dot

A good log book helps, a wind meter is helpful too.  Save your time and get a spotting scope and get one with a mil-dot reticle, it helps your spotter understand how to give you corrective adjustments.

^^ Yes.

Vortex also makes a great spotting scope and scope with matching reticles be it MOA or MIL. And you can probably get both for the price of a Leupold, and have money left over for ammo. Don't get me wrong, Leupold makes ridiculously nice things.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:48:34 AM by BobbyB »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 07:59:15 AM »
Yeah,  I still drool over the one my instructor has
http://www.eurooptic.com/carl-zeiss-optronics-hensoldt-spotter-20-60x72-spotter-60.aspx

Of course he gets most of his stuff free from the mfg just as long as he does a write up and review...

And there are many low priced spotting scopes out there.  They will work.  They higher price gives you ruggedness, low light transmission, and some clarity.  But for most of us who aren't staking our lives or livlihood on it, the top of the line scopes are just a luxury. 

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 09:12:32 AM »
Yeah,  I still drool over the one my instructor has
http://www.eurooptic.com/carl-zeiss-optronics-hensoldt-spotter-20-60x72-spotter-60.aspx

Of course he gets most of his stuff free from the mfg just as long as he does a write up and review...

And there are many low priced spotting scopes out there.  They will work.  They higher price gives you ruggedness, low light transmission, and some clarity.  But for most of us who aren't staking our lives or livlihood on it, the top of the line scopes are just a luxury.

U.S. Optics.... soo nice, soo much money.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
I like the US Optics.  Had a SN3 3.8-22 but traded it on NVG.  I like that they are very custom built anyway you like it.

Since then, I've gone to mostly Schmidt and Bender PMIIs with some NF F1s on ARs

Anythime you get in the $3k range for a scope you get some real good stuff.  I remember in one evolution in a competition we had to go over some obstacls and through a concrete culvert to get to position to make the shot and there was a guy with a GAP .260 bolt gun and a Hensholdt scope.  SOB jumped over the obstacles and then threw the weapon through the culvert so he could get through the culvert faster and make the shot.  It was a time/accuracy evolution.  I just shook my head.  That's when I knew I was not competitive enough.  No way I'm throwing a $9,000 rifle and scope through a concrete culvert just to improve my time by 1 second.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »
Ken, doesn't the welding on the AR500 render it susceptible to damage from rounds?
Yes to some degree, but just close to the welds. I welded fast, without much penetration nor heat transfer. The places I welded will be bullet catchers anyway.....right angles at the bullet slicers....but only range time will tell.
I have the vortex spotter, without mils. For hunting I have swaro binos, but couldn't swing the spotting scope to match.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 10:34:45 AM »
I like the US Optics.  Had a SN3 3.8-22 but traded it on NVG.  I like that they are very custom built anyway you like it.

Since then, I've gone to mostly Schmidt and Bender PMIIs with some NF F1s on ARs

Anythime you get in the $3k range for a scope you get some real good stuff.  I remember in one evolution in a competition we had to go over some obstacls and through a concrete culvert to get to position to make the shot and there was a guy with a GAP .260 bolt gun and a Hensholdt scope.  SOB jumped over the obstacles and then threw the weapon through the culvert so he could get through the culvert faster and make the shot.  It was a time/accuracy evolution.  I just shook my head.  That's when I knew I was not competitive enough.  No way I'm throwing a $9,000 rifle and scope through a concrete culvert just to improve my time by 1 second.
Man, you wouldn't catch me throwin' any of my guns!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 11:23:51 AM »

S&B are also nice, but pricey.. Well to me they are.

GAP does amazing work according to the interwebz.

Live dangerously, go for the throw!

Man, you wouldn't catch me throwin' any of my guns!

Watched someone do it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 01:31:52 PM »
I have two GA Precisions.  A 308 and 300.

The first one is the 300 with a McMillan stock and the US Optics I had at the time.  Its accurate too, about a 3/8-1/2 gun 

The 308 with my handloads shoots a 5 shot 1/4 group at 100.  Its absolutely scary.  It was built by Moon and is a remy 700 with jewel trigger, McMillan stock, and a Bartlein 19 inch barrel threaded for my Thunderbeast 30-P1 suppressor.  It has the S&B PMII on it and that thing is a sweet stick.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2015, 02:19:23 PM »
^^^^ Crazy money right there!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 02:24:39 PM »
I have two GA Precisions.  A 308 and 300.

The first one is the 300 with a McMillan stock and the US Optics I had at the time.  Its accurate too, about a 3/8-1/2 gun 

The 308 with my handloads shoots a 5 shot 1/4 group at 100.  Its absolutely scary.  It was built by Moon and is a remy 700 with jewel trigger, McMillan stock, and a Bartlein 19 inch barrel threaded for my Thunderbeast 30-P1 suppressor.  It has the S&B PMII on it and that thing is a sweet stick.

I like the way you party Senor.

^^^^ Crazy money right there!

You were talking about upgrading your 300. Send it to GAP or a reputable builder and tune her up.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:42:11 PM by BobbyB »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 06:13:45 PM »
Walmart don't carry nothin' like that. lol

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 08:00:03 PM »
Makes my stuff look like a sling-shot! LOL! :o
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »
Wow, and I was pretty proud of my new Savage Model 16 308 with the Nikon Monarch lol

Nice rifles TRN

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 08:53:48 PM »
US Optics.... I like that they are very custom built anyway you like it.

I think it'd be fun to go to the factory and watch them build a scope you spec out from start to finish.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 09:00:24 PM »
You know the funny thing....I kill more animals with my bone stock Remington 700 Alaskan titanium and Lupy 3-9 than anything else I have.  It weighs only about 6.5lbs without the little scope and you can hump all day through the brush and woods with it.  I did have fun on one hunt when I was laying prone with the 300WM and the guy I was with asked me if I could really hit a big bull nilgai at 515 yards.  So I sent it....head shot at 515.  Kinda messed up the mount but all I had with me were SMKs190s and they don't expand. 

GAPs are worth every penny but a 14lb rife is not fun to hump in the woods with.  I would like to have them build a hunting rifle but there is a company here in Houston called MG Ultralight Arms that is hard to beat when it comes to that stuff.  They've done some work for me in the past but I've not had them build a full rifle.  A friends has 2 sheep rifles in 300WSM that weigh 7lbs.  That must be a big kick with no brake and being that light.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 09:27:13 PM »
Have you had any experience with the Genwerks rifles? I watch some hunting shows occasionally, and i think the Long Range Pursuit crew shoots Gunwerks, and I'm pretty sure Steven Rinella of MeatEater does too
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 10:22:49 PM »
Negative.  There are more than a few good builders.  I tend to be loyal to companies that have good products and good service.  GAP also has a rabid loyal following which makes resale strong.  Not that I would ever sell one.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2015, 06:03:55 PM »
Finally got some range time in today with the new gong.
Here's the 1000 yard setup again....the gong is at the end of the road/wash:

Found some shade:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2015, 06:09:15 PM »
My brother's Rem 7mm taking a turn:

Looking through his Zeiss scope:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »
I'd love to easy access to a 1000yard range.  I have a 600 close by but 1000 is a 5 hour drive.

There is a 1000 yard about 35 miles from here but they don't allow steel.  Rubbish! 

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »
The plate held up well...
We had some interesting splatter patterns. We were both shooting polymer tipped ammo. His 165gr. Mine 180.
The 2 larger hits at the top were from the 7mm at 3000fps. (He also hit the upper right "bullet cutter" and it worked as planned). The 3 lower, smaller splatter patterns were from my Weatherby 300 mag, at 3150fps, and the lower right single was from my buddy's 308 with standard soft nose ammo...weird.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2015, 06:20:45 PM »
I'd love to easy access to a 1000yard range.  I have a 600 close by but 1000 is a 5 hour drive.

There is a 1000 yard about 35 miles from here but they don't allow steel.  Rubbish! 

I appreciate what I have, but fear it won't last. If /when the property owners decide to develop the mountain range (which is what they intended to do before the crash) my buddy will lose his ranching lease, and my access.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2015, 06:23:24 PM »
Here's what the leg bullet cutter did. I assume that I wasn't perpendicular to the target....or the crosswinds ....or....

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:24:15 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2015, 06:42:12 PM »
Here's my daughter taking a few shots with the 300, with quite the grin on her face (I probably had one as well). Before this she was slinging a 357, then my 44mag (with "special" rounds....I didn't want to break her little wrists!) After this, my brother brought out an old 8mm with iron sights. By this time the winds were playing havoc, throwing the shots all over the place with that gun.....yet she came the closest, missing by under 4 inches to the right, center mass. The closest me and my bro got was about 2 feet!

...the 8mm, with a very handsome, intelligent, and super young guy spottin' for her:

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2015, 02:33:28 AM »
Looks like a fun time was had by all.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2015, 08:49:24 AM »
What kind of hold over and wind correction were you using with the .300WM?
My fav .30 round!

How about that .308? Bet he was having to work that gun a bit!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2015, 09:24:39 AM »
Looking through his Zeiss scope:

How tall's the silhouette?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »
Haha Don. Yeah he would shoot, I would run to town for breakfast, come back, and still have time to spot the shot! I can only appreciate our guys even more after seeing what it takes to put a 308 on target at that range....you have to be really good. The wind was affecting him a bunch...like throwing the shots off 2 feet, where as our magnums were moving around about 6 inches.

Holdover on my 300 was 17.5 mils, zeroed at 200, equals a drop of about 18 feet.

Wind correction after 3 misses was 1-2 mils left

Bobby, I think it's exactly 24" iirc
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:47:07 AM by KensAuto »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal