Hello Guest

Author Topic: New bird locater  (Read 4084 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New bird locater
« on: January 24, 2015, 10:03:58 AM »
New addition to the Kennel! (house)
Hank- he's part alligator being a 9 week old puppy!  Causes interrupted sleep but is really doing good housebreaking and fitting in with rest of the Brittanys in the house.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:05:52 AM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New bird locater
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:15:49 AM »
Puppies...

Love 'em, but they don't stay that way!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
Puppies...

Love 'em, but they don't stay that way!

Thank God they don't - they're a lot of work which reminds me why I don't work on an alligator farm!  First one I had of the competition variety had me practicing my wood working skills on a new Cherry Armoire!  Taking a block plain to a new piece of furniture to smooth out chew marks is like taking a grinder to a new car.......makes you sweat and swear and saw silly things like, "you almost can't notice it" when you're finished!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »
I want a Belgian Malinois... they are called malingators.... I want one.

Nice looking pup though.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 06:59:37 PM »
I want a Belgian Malinois... they are called malingators.... I want one.

Nice looking pup though.
Bobby, the Danish SF dudes I was working with in KAF had one. His name was Spike. Both attack and bomb sniffing dog. Utterly vicious, that one, but my friend. He served with us along with his handler who BTW was one of the fighters in that world challenge Octagon anything goes series. Anyway they left and we missed them, but sometime later both of them showed up in KAF for round 2. They were sent out to the Helmand valley area to work bad guys there. The Danes were getting beat up on a regular basis there. This was the time frame when the US Marines were just starting to build up there, so it was still a multi-national deal. Spike was credited with several kills, where he chased some scallywag out into the open where Brian could shoot him. Near the end of their tour a Taliban threw a grenade at Brian and Spike took it. Killed him instantly. Seems we mourned that dog for days...

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 07:02:01 PM »
Malinois are great dogs for tactical work.  Kinda like a light switch.......off......IT'S ON!  Let the chompin' begin!  :o

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 10:38:12 PM »
Seems we mourned that dog for days...

That's the truth.

Malinois are great dogs for tactical work.  Kinda like a light switch.......off......IT'S ON!  Let the chompin' begin!  :o

I wouldn't train him for anything other than tracking/SAR.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 08:11:58 AM »
Yes, sir Bobby, know you wouldn't, just speaking to their ability to excell as an offensive and defensive unit; reminding us that if not for "tools" we're not top of the food chain!  ;)

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »
Yes, sir Bobby, know you wouldn't, just speaking to their ability to excell as an offensive and defensive unit; reminding us that if not for "tools" we're not top of the food chain!  ;)

True. I just can't seem to get TOO far away from the Shepherd family of dogs I prefer over all others.

Offline Drunksailor

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
Thats a good looking pup. Ive always loved bird dogs, I've got a GSP now but never around to hunt the three days a year in hawaii they allow it.
-Seth

“Anyone in any walk of life who is content with mediocrity is untrue to himself and to American tradition.”
― George S. Patton Jr.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 07:18:09 AM »
So, here it is closing on Hank's 3rd birthday, and I thought I'd post a situation report.  He's qualified for and running in the ABC National All-Age Championships in Booneville, AK starting Monday.  I'm leaving with the camper heading there tonight after work for both of our "first time" at that National Championship.  12 hour drive I'll break into two chunks, stopping in Grovespring, MO. tonight and honking at Blaine as I pass through Springfield, MO tomorrow morning early.

He's been a lot of fun and points his birds with extreme style.  Following him on horseback is scary - he's fast and WAY more dog than I've ever had.  Wish us luck - good news is he should be competing at this level for the next 6+ years.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 08:02:09 AM »
Good looking dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »
Good luck!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 09:33:21 AM »
That is one alert, focused, muscular, good lookin' dog!

Go get em'!

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 09:41:24 AM »
Good Luck!  Safe travels!
Exodus 14:14

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »
Thanks guys, he's actually pointing a covey of quail in that photo -  :smiley:

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
Good luck and safe travels.

One nice lookin pup for sure.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »
So, this past weekend I was in Ohio running Hank in an Hour Championship (Field Trial) near Dresden.  Happily, I handled the little rascal to his first Championship Win.  He bested a field of 21 with 3 of the 4 current National Championship winners!  I'll see if I can get a photo uploaded from a text a bit later. 

Finally caught up with all the new and developments from the weekend.....God is Good to us all and this place!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:41:34 AM by cudakidd53 »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
Congrats! That is impressive.  :likebutton:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
Congrats! That is impressive.  :likebutton:

Nice!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
Congrats.  Not being facetious but how much is the dog and how much is the trainer?  I have to think I lot is the handler/trainer

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 07:23:47 PM »
Congrats Mikey!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 09:41:42 AM »
Congrats.  Not being facetious but how much is the dog and how much is the trainer?  I have to think I lot is the handler/trainer

MOST IMPORTANT/CANT BE MANUFACTURED = DOG  These are whats referred to as All-Age dogs - running with extreme range, extreme speed and extreme purpose (find the next bird as fast as possible, as far to the front as possible)  You also cannot manufacture STYLE on point, SPEED or RANGE, that comes from an inherent desire within the dog from breeding other dogs with those traits.  You never know which puppy will have it until they start to mature.  A biddable dog makes it easier, this one is very much so.  An example of extreme range - I've lost the dog on occasion ........ as in finding the dog 1.5 miles away from where I last saw the dog, 5-10 mins. ago!

Trainer = 2nd most important.  A trainer needs to know the dog, it's tendencies from it's lineage, and how to do everything right to not destroy any of the above three qualities in caps.  You can sure ruin the style of a dog around it's game by beating on them, loosing your patience/temper or trying to move too fast.  I've got probably the best trainer in the Brittany Breed - we've become close friends as well over the last 18 years, and a recent convert to Christ.

Handler = 3rd most important;  (Don't screw up the other 2)  Half the time its the trainer handling, I handle in the Amateur Stakes and sometimes in Open when I go somewhere different than the trainer. You need to be aware of the dogs tendencies and not leave them behind by failing to gather them up/turn them when the course changes directions.  You also need to be able to read the dog around game so that you know when to twist its ear when they're looking like theyre about to come unglued and start chasing birds instead of pointing.  All-Age dogs are almost always on the edge; edge of chasing, getting lost etc.  I'm getting better for this style of dog, all my previous experience has NOT been with All-Age dogs.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:13:29 AM by cudakidd53 »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 06:55:16 AM »
Just back from the Steubenville, OH region from running Hank in another Amateur Hour Championship: We were blessed to win again!  Heading over to pull camper out of storage for this weekend; field trial in Michigan  Next week, it's hopefully the trainers turn to win with him in an hour Championship.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal