Hello Guest

Author Topic: What's your favorite coffee/coffee story?  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What's your favorite coffee/coffee story?
« on: February 06, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »
OK, let me start this
First of all, what's your favorite coffee/flavor/brand?
And
What's your favorite memory associated with drinking the heavenly stuff?

I think Nate, from this forum started me on this stuff, but Gervalia brand quoffee from Germany has to be my favorite...House blend thank you very much!

Favorite memory...Well, I have so many it's hard to choose. But one thing for sure my best memories of the stuff involve my sons. I'd have to say that drinking a favorite cup of "Smoke" with Little Don in the living room in our home in Clarksville, Tennessee while talking and rocking in two ancient rocking chairs has to rank right up there.

Recently, the little pre-Ranger will sit in my office in the morning and sip from my large German beer mug filled with some warm and flavored quoffee while we watch some old Looney Tune character. Our favorite is Fog-Horn, Leg Horn instructing the chicken hawk!...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite coffee/coffee story?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 10:15:35 AM »
I'll chime in on this one...

Favorite brand is Yuban from the can. Now they are plastic though.

Favorite memory is when I was a teen just starting Elk Hunting in Colorado. We had a big walled tent with a wood stove inside. It was my job to get up early, knock the frost off everything, get the wood stove going and fire up the percolated drip coffee on top of the wood stove. It was in the zero degree's area every morning and I can remember shivering my tail off just waiting the the wood stove to fire up and the coffee to be ready.

Once done I would have a steel cup full of hot coffee that would warm my hands and get me going. I didn't really like the taste but man... it felt good getting warm! :)
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:41:30 AM »
Ooh, which coffee does the guy from Seattle think is the best... Camano island roasters Dark Sumatra. Now that I'm done being fancy...
Folgers crystals in the duck blind with Dad, Grandpa, (his last year) my uncle and cousin, watching the sun rise over the cascades in the Snohomish river valley to what would be come known in the Hudson family circle as black Saturday. 36 ducks, 11 Canadian geese. We had to break mid day to bring our limits to the house and return back for an afternoon session where we got all 11 geese in one group. I was 17 and it was the year my parents divorced. I didn't know it at the time, but that would be the last time I had any real moments with my father and Grandfather that were really important. The conversation over that awful coffee, up to our knees in cow manure laden muddy water that used to be a cornfield was one I will never forget. Best coffee ever.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 11:46:10 AM »
I don't really have a favorite coffee, I'm able to drink just about any/all you can put in front of me. As for a story well, I'll have to think about that as well.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »
Well, as a Canadian, there is only one Tim Hortons. Best I've ever had was at a resort in Cuba, no clue what is was other than really thick, really black, and oh my delicious.

Best memories, are from somewhere near the middle of nowhere, because I've been there too, in my 10 man arctic tent with a few other guys, just shooting the breeze, or just getting out of the rack. Now it has to be Tim Hortons medium grind, cooked extra long and extra strong in a percolator on the cook stove or woodstove. The aroma of the perk and some good conversation mmmm.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 01:27:55 PM »
Well, as a Canadian, there is only one Tim Hortons. Best I've ever had was at a resort in Cuba, no clue what is was other than really thick, really black, and oh my delicious.

Best memories, are from somewhere near the middle of nowhere, because I've been there too, in my 10 man arctic tent with a few other guys, just shooting the breeze, or just getting out of the rack. Now it has to be Tim Hortons medium grind, cooked extra long and extra strong in a percolator on the cook stove or woodstove. The aroma of the perk and some good conversation mmmm.
I have to second that plug for Timmy-Ho's coffee. I got thoroughly addicted to the Tim Horton's in Kandahar. Ran out of two trailers, I was a regular there for my morning joe and an everything bagel with butter and cream cheese thank you very much.
I never visited that place and didn't have to stand in a line to get served. Was usually a line of 20-30 Canadian warriors waiting out the heat or cold to get inside.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 01:58:38 PM »
ill tell yah all, I have never had an appreciation for coffee until I got stationed in Germany, the germans (not the French) really know how to make some darn good coffee.  I am not a big fan of the folgers or the Maxwell house brands, but I have almost become a coffee snob in regards to grinding my own beans and every once in a while I will use a French press.  here are a few pictures of the coffee beans that I like to buy.

this is the coffee from Germany that I really like and can only find either in the commissary or on line.

now like don stated above about drinking his wonderful coffee from his german Bierkrug, I too have a german Bierkrug that I enjoy my coffee from as well.  this Bierkrug was from the bier keller directly across the street from where I lived in Memmelsdorf Germany.  as you can tell from the bierkrug, the bier actually came from the next village over called merfendorf.

the nice thing about this bierkrug is that it is about 20oz and it will stay either nice and cold or nice and warm for a very long time.

I would have to say that one of my best memories for drinking coffee would have to be from Germany as well.  every Saturday my wife, daughter and I would travel some where new around the area and do a volksmarch.  we would always leave really early in the morning and stop at a Bäckerei (german bakery) for some fresh out of the oven pastries and a couple/several cups of good german coffee.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 02:12:14 PM »
Oooh i'll jump in on this one... Current favorite is either the Kona we drink on vacation or the Seattle's Best medium roast from the percolator in our travel trailer. Throw a little Bailey's in when camping, ooooweee YUM. Daily though, i'll drink whatever's available and/or free *takes sip from lukewarm leftovers* i prefer the medium/light roasts to the dark/bold, but i do like it strong.

Favorite stories... hmm well I didn't used to be a coffee drinker, at all. Not until my first all-nighter at work anyway, i drank a whole air pot to myself to stay awake and I've been a coffee drinker ever since. Straight black.

Another story was on one particularly long day at work, to lighten things up, my guys and I thought it would be a worthy experiment to brew a double batch... not just twice the grounds as you might guess, but we ran a whole batch of brewed coffee through again (where there would otherwise be water) in through a fresh batch of ground coffee. Let me just say i do not recommend this LOL. Wayyy too much caffeine.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 02:16:20 PM »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 05:30:54 PM »
Either "Kirkland's" Columbian Dark Roast, or "Peet's" Sumatran.  Love my stovetop Cabelas Stainless percolator in the Travel Trailer though you gotta be careful when used to a Mr. Coffee style brewer as the temp. is a REAL wake up!

Daughter runs the "Peet's" store on Michigan Ave. downtown Chicago across from the giant stainless bean sculpture (Cloud Gate sculpture's official name) but not biased because of it.  Stop in and look for the petite 20 something blonde manager, tell her "your dad sent me"  :o

Two favorite coffee stories:  sitting around my Grandparents kitchen table, drinking coffee black (not particularly wonderful coffee, but what they drank daily) with Grandma's homemade Gingersnaps!  Ozarks of Missouri in a retirement home they both built together.  Kinda a Don style oil change- was supposed to be Grandpa's wood shop/metal shop with office and washroom.  They would build it and live in it while they built the house.  Ended up building another shop and addition to the first shop for living room, garage, woodshed, and carport.

The other is the cup of coffee after shooting the deer on my wall.  Early morning cool, rainy, with the time from o'dark thirty to 7am seeming like it was after 10am with the urge to go make breakfast and warm up over-ridden by," can't go in yet, the whole camp will give me crap for being a wussy".  Sat back down and 15 mins. later a nice 10 pointer slides stealth mode through the woods offering a snap 80yrd shot.  Gutting and the dragging it up and downhill a half mile to camp warmed (sweated) me some, but that cup outta the floating cowboy coffee concoction I wrote about previously (no filter basket, grounds and an egg) was the most wonderful cup I've had in deer camp!

Just remembered coffee in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota wasn't bad either!  ::)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 06:41:09 PM »
Daily brew is Kirkland's Pacific Bold in the K-cups.

When I want killer coffee, I break out the french press and grind up some Kona peaberry from the Sugai Coffee Farm in Kona

Favorite memory:  My wife bringing me a cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain in a dainty china cup (her deceased grandmothers) while I was covered in grease from pulling the tranny on my race car.  I was standing there with greasy hands with fat finger and thumb barely able to meet in the dainty loop of the fine white china.  Glad my buddies couldn't see me.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:44:48 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »
I never got a chance to hit the boundry waters area, still want to, but I have been to the other side of norther mn (upper and lower red lake, 10 mile and lived in bemidji for a year).
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 07:04:38 PM »
Tchibo...That's the stuff you sent me Nate!

Well, it got me started on this finely ground Gervalia stuff. Just picked up another big bag

Everyone is touting the Kirkland stuff (From Costco's, right?) I have a huge bag of it on the long term storage shelf of survival food in one of the basement rooms. Now I'm curious as to what that stuff tastes like?????

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 07:10:21 PM »
Costco is correct.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 10:34:27 PM »
Ohh, now there's a concept- Real Man goes Northwoods!  If you can't carry it in two trips (portages) it doesn't go!  20 years ago we were drinking directly out of the lakes- 10 day trips, freeze dried stuff, fresh fish, Steaks and potatoes the first night, hotdogs the second, and fish the rest of the time.  Kool-aid to drink with "mix" while it lasted.  Brought Everclear one year and have photo of me at dusk blowing flame across a post sunset western sky-

One of best cocktails ever was Jack and Lemonade, second night, using last of the ice from the meat cooler on a toasty evening after a muggy day paddling........ice in a drink in the Boundry Waters is rare, but most delightful luxury!  :)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal