Hello Guest

Author Topic: Craigslist Compressor Rebuild  (Read 14271 times)

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
Craigslist Compressor Rebuild
« on: September 19, 2014, 06:25:12 PM »
I have an early '90's vintage Craftsman compressor. Its the loud, oil-less type.  It has served me well since my days at Fort Campbell.  With some major projects coming up that will require die-grinding, sand-blasting, painting and other high-air-demand tasks its time to upgrade and retire the Craftsman compressor to the woodworking shop. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 06:30:56 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Craigslist Compressor Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:46:24 PM »
I wanted an American-made, two stage, 80 gallon unit that would keep up.  Not wanting to spend $1500-$2000 for such a unit, I went to Craigslist and found a 2-stage 80 gallon unit with a bad electric motor that hadn't run in a while, according to its owner.  If just the motor was needing replacement, it would be no problem, so I went out to take a look at it.  The way he described the motor failure had me thinking it may just need a start capacitor...

After verifying that the compressor itself was still good and the tank was sound, I paid the man and we loaded it onto my trailer.   
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:49:36 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:09:07 PM »
Next on the list?  Disassembly and cleaning of course! Then take the motor to a local repair shop to see if I was lucky in regards to my start capacitor hunch...

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 08:23:29 PM »
I recognize those parts!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »
I pulled all plugs and fittings from the tank and powerwashed it inside and out. 

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »
After thinking about how I transported the compressor, on its side, I became concerned that crankcase oil may have migrated past the piston rings and up into the head.  Oil resting on top of the piston could break a connecting rod upon start-up and oil contamination on the reed valves inside the head would not be good either.  I decided I should probably break down the compressor itself, check the condition of the piston bore, crankcase, the reed valves inside the head and replace the gaskets. 

I did some research on my compressor and found that the manufacturer, Coleman Powermate, acquired the Sanborn Compressor company in the mid - 90's.  MAT Industries bought Coleman in 2008.  My tank is stamped 1995.  The compressor itself is  the old Sanborn B-4900 model which has been in manufacture for years and is still being produced today.  The B-4900 pump can be found on Dewalt, Kobalt and other compressor brands.  Lowe's big compressor has a B-4900 pump on it.  The compressor Don retired last year, a Devilbiss, had a B-4900 pump on it.  Parts for it are readily available. 

I disassembled the compressor and found the cylinder bore to be in great condition, it still retained the cross-hatch honing pattern from the factory.  No oil had migrated past the rings.  The crankcase was clean, the oil looked clean and clear.  The reed valves had a little carbon buildup which I cleaned off carefully with a razor blade and WD-40.  I also found that there was a blown gasket on the tube that connects the primary cylinder to the secondary cylinder.  This failed gasket would cause poor pressure build in the tank, forcing the motor and compressor to run continuously (and hot).  This would explain the carbon buildup that I found on the reed valves which was scorched oil vapor. 

This also explained why the motor windings had a hole burned through them...

Forcing me to purchase a new motor.     
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:28:02 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:56:25 PM »
Looks very similar to my 90s Craftsman 60 with the alum compressor. I over drove it for years with no issues. Even now it runs fine but is noisy as all HELL even mounted outside in an enclosure on with anti vibration mounts.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »
Looks very similar to my 90s Craftsman 60 with the alum compressor. I over drove it for years with no issues. Even now it runs fine but is noisy as all HELL even mounted outside in an enclosure on with anti vibration mounts.

Same-same here JR.
Mine was identical to Duane's, in fact he actually is using one of my air lines, the big one is it??
I think mine was a devilbiss, but all of these came from a common manufacturer.

I will say, I know of none like this model that is anywhere near as nice as Duane's!

On compressors, though, Eaton is just the bomb. My V4 7.5Hp is like a supercharged 454 on steroids!

Sorry for the jack, Duane, keep going...

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »

Same-same here JR.
Mine was identical to Duane's, in fact he actually is using one of my air lines, the big one is it??
I think mine was a devilbiss, but all of these came from a common manufacturer.

I will say, I know of none like this model that is anywhere near as nice as Duane's!

On compressors, though, Eaton is just the bomb. My V4 7.5Hp is like a supercharged 454 on steroids!

Sorry for the jack, Duane, keep going...

No problem.  Your old compressor, now at Dan's shop, is a Devilbiss.  It will be undergoing the same treatment mine got.  The motor in that one burned out also.  The line you are referring to stayed with your compressor, Dan is gonna need it.  I fabricated a new one from copper tubing for mine, the original aluminum line was damaged when I hoisted the compressor out of my trailer.     
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:15:06 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 05:34:28 PM »
Mine is still solid although noisy. Thinking of a relocate to near the front of the garage, still outside with a small shelter and replace the Comp with a generic iron.

Other option is a new 5+/80 gal unit and get a $100 or so for this one. Funds are low right now with the pool being finished

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 07:52:03 AM »
Most of the noise from these compressors is generated at the intake side.  If you need to quiet it down, run the intake outside, install a muffler or thick air cleaner.  This seems to be the consensus over on the Garage Journal, a site I am on from time to time.  I'll be running this compressor in my detached garage so noise permeating the living quarters of SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) will not be an issue.  It is much quieter than that oil-less Craftsman.  I used to run the Craftsman in the basement with a line routed up to our attached garage.  When I was using grinders or the blasting cabinet, it would turn on every few minutes, making me rather un-popular.

Powerwashing the tank removed enough of the original red paint that I knew I would have to re-coat it.  So, I bought some citrus-strip and began the messy task...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:12:44 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 07:56:54 AM »
More stripping...

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:02:32 AM »
finally, a clean and almost-ready-to-paint tank.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:18:31 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:13:53 AM »
Sanding and a quick wipe-down with Lacquer thinner.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:15:26 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
Next step was two good coats of primer.  I used tractor and  implement primer and paint from Tractor Supply.   Its a durable, one-step paint that you can add reducer and hardener to.  The primer went on a little heavy, no runs but it took a lot longer to dry than I'm used to, 24 hours between coats.  It was rather humid outside when the primer was applied it so maybe that had something to do with it.  I had the tank up on a mover's dolly and wheeled it outside into the sun between coats to try and speed things along.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:31:09 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 01:21:13 PM »
For the topcoat, I again used TSC's implement paint in Oliver Green.  Its darker than JD green.  I used reducer and a hardener/catalyst on the topcoat.  Three coats using a cheap HF purple HVLP gun.  The paint gun cost a whopping $9.99 with coupon.  It did a passable job.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 01:24:29 PM »
Final Coat:

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 07:04:13 AM »
Compressor re-assembled, other parts cleaned up...

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »
Amsoil compressor specific synthetic oil.  Exactly two quarts needed for my unit.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:32:01 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 09:55:03 AM »
More assembly pics of the cleaned up compressor parts.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 05:20:21 PM »
Beautiful workmanship

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 02:11:29 PM »
I would be curious to know the total project cost when you are complete.  That will help others determine whether this is worth pursuing compared to purchasing a new unit.  I currently have a craftsman oil-less one, except I think maybe 30 gallon vertical, and it is way louder than I ever thought possible.  So it would also be helpful to compare the sound output of your original unit with this rebuilt one.  You could use one of the free decibel meter apps for a phone.  It won't be super accurate, but the comparison between the two numbers would be useful.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 12:21:12 AM »
I had an oil less and got rid if it in a few months. They are just flat out LOUD!!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:28 AM »
I had an oil less and got rid if it in a few months. They are just flat out LOUD!!!!
I would be curious to know the total project cost when you are complete.  That will help others determine whether this is worth pursuing compared to purchasing a new unit.  I currently have a craftsman oil-less one, except I think maybe 30 gallon vertical, and it is way louder than I ever thought possible.  So it would also be helpful to compare the sound output of your original unit with this rebuilt one.  You could use one of the free decibel meter apps for a phone.  It won't be super accurate, but the comparison between the two numbers would be useful.

Good idea on the decibel meter app I'll have to do that and post my results.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 07:37:29 AM »
final assembly:

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 07:43:52 AM »
More final assembly pics:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:16:34 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
and another one:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:35:46 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
nice
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 12:41:07 AM »
That is sure pretty, did you inspect the inside at all?

I loaded a DB meter APP on my phone. My comp was 95 DB when overdriven and 92 DB when I replaced the motor pulley bringing it back into specs RPM. Still way to load for me. 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 10:22:14 AM »
and another one:

Figures a Black Hawk pilot would mount it sideways on a wall!

Sure is pretty though!

Sort of a girlish attention to detail there!

Not all gnarly and ruggedly handsome like mine!

But very pretty...

Are the light bulb sockets to be used as the feet of the thing???

I see the boy has been knockin' hockey pucks around the garage again!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:26:38 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 03:56:01 PM »
and another one:

Are the light bulb sockets to be used as the feet of the thing???

Well you did say he was a Blackhawk pilot?

(just had to)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 06:59:52 AM »
The light sockets are irrelevant... ??? 

I did make up some anti-vibration feet from hockey pucks and some laser-cut steel plates (Thanks, Dan, aka DKWeld.com).  Those will be attached just prior to placing the compressor under the stairs in its permanent home.  The compressor is sitting temporarily on one of those 4-wheeled-mover's-dollies until I can permanently place the compressor in the space under the stairs in the garage.  Before I can move it there, I need to insulate and fire-code sheetrock that space.  I pulled electrical power to the space earlier in the week and will pick up the sheetrock when we get a break in the rain. 

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 07:14:13 AM »

I did get one of those decibel meter apps for my iPhone.  I ran a comparison between the two compressors, the craftsman oil-less and the freshly-rebuilt unit.  Both compressors were moved to the same location and readings were taken from 3 feet away.  The db reading on the oil-less was 101.  The reading on the Coleman-Sanborn-fresh-rebuild was 87.

At present, I have just over $500 cash into the compressor.  That includes ball-valves for both the tank drain and outlet.  It does not include the 3/4 inch regulator/filter unit that will be installed when the compressor is permanently placed. 

I do have a lot of hours into this thing...   

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 07:18:48 AM »
That is sure pretty, did you inspect the inside at all? 

The inside was in good shape, I was able to inspect it when I had the main 2-1/2 side ports out while power washing it inside and out.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 08:27:47 AM »
Great rebuild and good write-up!

I have been leaving the drain valve open on my Eaton while not in use.

It sprays out a lot of rusty water every time I drain it...I mean a lot. I guess having an 80 gallon tank and 4 cylinders hammering away at all those molecules makes for a lot of moisture...good thing I we don't live in a rain forest!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 08:43:48 AM »
More final assembly pics:

Note here the utter precision of this steely eyed killer
http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=76.0;attach=5928
I have examined the oil level under an electron microscope and had a panel of experts from the United Lavatories office of standards view it for precision. They have determined the oil level is with one micron of perfect, which is outside their range of actual measurement, so they have determined it to be perfect!
I believe they are in process for using this oil level as their new measure of perfection from which all other oil levels will be judged for centuries to come
The utter precision of this man is astounding!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:46:37 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2014, 09:00:11 PM »
I wonder if I can get a fumoto valve for the compressor...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »

It isn't a pressure valve I think.

As in the one on the oil pan of my Duramax, right?

I'd say don't use it...definitely not a pressure retention valve, although it might work for a time...

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
The db reading on the oil-less was 101.  The reading on the Coleman-Sanborn-fresh-rebuild was 87.

That is a pretty significant difference!  Thanks for the info.

At present, I have just over $500 cash into the compressor.  That includes ball-valves for both the tank drain and outlet.  It does not include the 3/4 inch regulator/filter unit that will be installed when the compressor is permanently placed. 

I do have a lot of hours into this thing...   

So the savings is quite significant compared to buying a new one ... if time is available for the rebuild.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »

I'd say don't use it...definitely not a pressure retention valve, although it might work for a time...

To replace the oil plug on the crankcase of the compressor.  It wouldn't be under any pressure.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »

To replace the oil plug on the crankcase of the compressor.  It wouldn't be under any pressure.

That would work, but you only drain a couple times a year at most. As long as you can get to it why bother. Now an extension I can see as you never get that darn can under there in time

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »
Duane-

Beautiful job!  Like the feet as inspired by Dons Square D bed mount isolators.  Can't wait to see Double D project start to clutter that pristine space with frenetic modifications and restoration - don't forget to change fluids while you're at it! ;D
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 05:56:49 PM »
That would work, but you only drain a couple times a year at most. As long as you can get to it why bother. Now an extension I can see as you never get that darn can under there in time

You're probably right.  A fumoto valve would just be overkill.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 05:57:43 PM »
Duane-

Beautiful job!  Like the feet as inspired by Dons Square D bed mount isolators.  Can't wait to see Double D project start to clutter that pristine space with frenetic modifications and restoration - don't forget to change fluids while you're at it! ;D

Thanks!

I just need to finish up a few fall projects...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
Mike, dons hockey puck idea came from duanes compressor.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2015, 01:22:22 AM »
Hockey pucks.  Seem to be all he rage these days.  Need to get me some of dem der pucks

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2015, 03:02:00 AM »
Holly year old revival!!

I just got some from Zoro off ebay. About $30

Hey, would they make a good bumper for a push bar??

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »
They make pretty good tool mounts as well. Run a bolt through something, then through the puck, then wingnut to secure whatever tool you wish to hang (Vibration free) from your bumper, rack, door, whatever...

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2015, 10:50:11 AM »
Shovel and axes right 6?

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
Shovel and axes right 6?

Yep, shovel and an Axe

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal