Hello Guest

Author Topic: woods suitable for smoking  (Read 13889 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
woods suitable for smoking
« on: February 20, 2015, 01:09:14 PM »
Wood types suitable for smoking.

Compiled from various sources

ACACIA - these trees are in the same family as mesquite.  When burned in a smoker, acacia has a flavor similar to mesquite but not quite as heavy.  A very hot burning wood.

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness.  Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash.  Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet.  Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor.  Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple.  Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity.  Good with poultry, pork and beef.  Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking.  Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor.  Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor.  Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart.  Provides a lot of smoke.  Rich and fruity.  Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods.  Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor.  Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral.  Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet.  Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor.  Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game.  One of the hottest burning.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning.  All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking.  Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor.  Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor.  Much like apple.  Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory.  Tasty with a subtle character.  Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese.  Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish.  The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple.  Can be bitter if used alone.  Good with red meats and game.

BBQ List members and other internet sources report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: AVOCADO, BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA, OLIVE, BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW.  The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i.e. pear, cherry, apple, etc.) are also suitable for smoking.

Don't use any wood from conifer trees, such as PINE, FIR, SPRUCE, REDWOOD, CEDAR, CYPRESS, etc.
There are many trees and shrubs in this world that contain chemicals toxic to humans--toxins that can even survive the burning process.  Remember, you are going to eat the meat that you grill and the smoke particles and chemicals from the wood and what may be on or in the wood are going to get on and in the meat.  Use only wood for grilling that you are sure of.   

If you have some wood and do not know what it is, DO NOT USE IT FOR GRILLING FOOD.  Burn it in your fireplace but not your smoker.

ELM and EUCALYPTUS wood is unsuitable for smoking, as is the wood from SASSAFRAS, SYCAMORE and LIQUID AMBER trees.
Here are some more woods that you should not to use for smoking:
Never use lumber scraps, either new or used.  First, you cannot know for sure what kind of wood it is; second, the wood may have been chemically treated; third, you have no idea where the wood may have been or how it was used.  For all you know, that free oak planking could have been used in a sewage treatment plant.

Never use any wood that has been painted or stained.  Paint and stains can impart a bitter taste to the meat and old paint often contains lead.
Do not use wood scraps from a furniture manufacturer as this wood is often chemically treated.

Never use wood from old pallets.  Many pallets are treated with chemicals that can be hazardous to your health and the pallet may have been used to carry chemicals or poison.

Avoid old wood that is covered with mold and fungus that can impart a bad taste to your meat.  If you have some good cherry wood (or other good smoking wood) that is old and has a fungus growth and you want to use it, pre-burn it down to coals before you put it into your smoker.
Grilling over a wood fire is more challenging than grilling over charcoal.  Wood burns hotter than most charcoal and as a consequence, burns faster.  Wood also stays in the 'hot coals' stage for a shorter period of time than charcoal.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: woods suitable for smoking
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:15:35 PM »
Some personal favorites, apple, cherry, particularly for pork and chicken... Pecan, hickory, alder for everything.... and Mesquite for beef.

Great list!!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 06:14:02 PM »
What??? No Tiger Woods?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:04:19 PM »
What??? No Tiger Woods?
That boy's been smoked enough lately!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 08:04:02 AM »
I actually use a lot of Chinese elm. There happens to be a ton of it out in the grove around the place. I start a fire and let it burn down to coals. IT makes an awesome coal bed. Then I just add small pieces as needed. It smokes real nice. I'm still using my old cooker it don't  have a fire box. 
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 09:29:20 AM »
Great write up thanks. I stick to the basics (hickory, mesquite, apple) generally and can see broadening my list would be good.

I am a little surprised to see willow is used for smoking...it usually smells like piss when burned (at least the weeping willow around here) so I wouldn't want to use it for amoking....but maybe different versions smell better.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »
I have oak, elm and hickory on my place. All those good for smoking?  Way too many sweet gum too. Any chance those are good for smoking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
Gum might make an acrid smoke... Not sure, I'd look into that one.

Can't go wrong with hickory tho. As for many others, rule of thumb is if you'd eat the fruit off the tree, it'll be great. Apple, cherry, peach... Etc. Pecan wood is great also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 01:10:13 PM »
What??? No Tiger Woods?
That boy's been smoked enough lately!

This made me laugh.  8)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »
I have oak, elm and hickory on my place. All those good for smoking?  Way too many sweet gum too. Any chance those are good for smoking?

Hickory and Oak for sure...Not sure about Elm though, never used it. runs white to dark brown inside like black walnut

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 01:52:35 PM »
Dunno about elm but that twisted grain make it a total pita to split. When I was a kid we lost a ton of 2lms on the property to dutch elm disease....my dad would just cut them up and roll them to the woods and let them rot. Nasty wood to hand split for firewood. With a hydraulic splitter though might not be an issue I dunno....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 02:16:02 PM »
Makes a pretty crib though!

Had some Amish folks make up one out of Elm
It's righteous!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 03:46:21 PM »
I cut the logs short, about 14-16 inches.  Makes splitting by hand easier.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 09:54:38 PM »
As does a 10lb maul

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »
Thanks Nate.  That's really helpful.  Unlike that Kenneth feller....

I guess Elm is out. I'm stuck with Oak and Hickory

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 09:12:13 PM »
Most of those that willing live in a desert environment and trip over the cactus that they willing planted in the front of their driveway are not really helpful for most things...........;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal