Hello Guest

Author Topic: Please don't hate on me  (Read 2139 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Please don't hate on me
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:25:34 PM »
I know every toothless fat redneck on Youtube has a "survival bracelet" video so please don't hate on me.  I'm headed on a back packing camping trip with my two pre stewardesses (sorry Big D, my two young daughters will never be Rangers...perhaps they can marry one.) and we are practicing fire starting and a little navigation.  This is assuming they don't completely panic being in the woods in a small tent with bugs and the like.

I was weaving some bracelets just to have some paracord handy (OK and the girls thought it was cool.  I'd rather having them weaving paracord than that silly colored rubber band mess) and needed some more supplies.  Ran across this on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Firecord-Parachute-Emergency-Fire-Gear/dp/B00RU5O7TS/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1424474464&sr=1-7&keywords=fire+starter+paracord

Had never seen it before so I decided to get a little of it.  It has an extra strand in the core that is red and makes tender.  I mistakenly thought it would be flamable enough to light with just a spark from a flint but its not.  It more like parafin and needed a pile of magnesium shavings to get it going.  I like the idea but not sure if its any better than weaving in a bit of jute rope into the bracelet.

I'll report back after the trip next weekend.  ( I haven't told them that I'll have MREs with heaters.  They think if we don't get fire lit we don't eat....)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:26:28 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Please don't hate on me
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:30:01 PM »
( I haven't told them that I'll have MREs with heaters.  They think if we don't get fire lit we don't eat....)

Please don't let the ladies eat too much of the peanut butter or the cheese in any excess past a pack. Friendly warning if you wish to have happy kids.  My oldest niece wants to go camping, I have a feeling it won't progress past 0200 at the latest, especially since we'll sleeping on the ground. No foo-foo campers allowed.

But the cord is better than nothing in the long run, so good find.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:35:32 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:02:41 PM »
Man puttin' "Fire Cord" around your wrist is hazardous! What if your hands catch fire?

Be my luck I'd spontaneously ignite while grabbin' for the roasted marsh mellow
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:24 PM »
You could try-out my "fire in a bag" vacuum seal thing- it should go with a simple strike/fire set-up, especially with the para cord thread added into the mix.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »
I hope no one sees this. How to keep little girls interested in outdoors stuff. Make it colorful. More like mall camo

60% chance of rain and temps in the 40's.  Camping trip postponed.  Don't want their first experience to be a bad one.

So, we'll shoot steel at the weekend place with the little suppressed 22
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:04:24 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 09:09:50 AM »
I hope no one sees this. How to keep little girls interested in outdoors stuff. Make it colorful. More like mall camo

60% chance of rain and temps in the 40's.  Camping trip postponed.  Don't want their first experience to be a bad one.

So, we'll shoot steel at the weekend place with the little suppressed 22

Good thinking, on postponing. However I'd still go but I haven't gone actual camping in years and I enjoy the peace and quiet.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 07:10:17 PM »
SO did you end up camping or just weekend fun tripping it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal