Hello Guest

Author Topic: Miss Daisy's Resto  (Read 44814 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Daisy's Resto
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2015, 07:21:14 PM »
next it was onto the new find, the floor safe.  it messed around with the locking mechanism for a minute or two and realized that the whole thing would turn.  I gave it a quarter turn and gave a pry on the side with a screw driver and she just popped right open.  well needless to say, there may not be enough room in there for my XD .40 but there is definitely enough room for storage of some cash or whatever.  I will have to get in there and get it all cleaned up. 

while messing around with it, I have come to realize that it is made out of 1/4" hardened steel and it is also some kind of a homemade contraption.  all in all I will make it work for its intended purpose.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2015, 07:33:36 PM »
so looking at the bottom of this thing, I will most likely scrape off all of that sealer stuff and try to get it removed.  once its removed, I will seal the underside inside of the cab and get a piece or two of some angle stock and give a tack or two on the outside/underside so that it cant just be removed with out some major struggling.

I have also thought about maybe putting something else in its place.  my buddy that you saw in the other pictures was at one point a custom fabricator and has been having the itch to do some creating with metal.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2015, 09:48:37 PM »
Good job on the hood Nate.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2015, 06:47:32 AM »
Thank you ken

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:20 PM »
I have an issue that I need assistance on.

my speedometer is bouncing pretty darn good when I am driving down the road (as in not accurate at all).  I took the speedometer cable off the back of the x-case and hooked it to my drill, gave it a little power and it is reading in the cab on the speedometer itself.  it was some what constant and no where near the bounce as when its hooked up.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »
I then took the speedometer holding nut (whatever its called) off, and pulled out the speedometer gear and this is what it all looks like.

as far as I can tell, it was a little dirty where the cable connects to the gear but nothing looked like it was getting chewed up?  I guess the only way I will be able to see what the actual gear looks like in the case is to take it apart, not something I really want to do just yet.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2015, 09:29:49 PM »
can somebody help me out here on whatever it is that I am missing, and maybe point me in the right direction.  is the cable bad?  is the odometer/speedometer gauge bad?

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2015, 10:18:19 PM »
Is that cable bound up or bent when attached to the transfer case and not so much when you had the drill motor attached to it. Maybe squirt some good light oil in there to help it out.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2015, 10:35:59 PM »
no cable bind, I can spin it freely with my fingers.

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2015, 10:42:47 PM »
Nate when you spin the cable does the needle on the speedo move at all?
If not, the cable fell off or the speedo clock-works failed
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2015, 11:19:46 PM »
Those are notorious for that. It may feel fine, but it's probably too dry. Take the cable out (it will only come out from the other end), squeeze some lithium grease in to the cable housing, and slowly work the cable back in, adding as much grease along the way as possible. A benefit to doing it this way is, when you snap the cable back on to the speedo head, it will force a bit of grease into it as well.
fyi...Graphite won't work as well.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2015, 01:48:41 AM »
I would say lube it up too. They even make kits for it. All we used to do is pull them out, clean it and the housing, lube it and replace.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2015, 08:12:07 AM »
fyi...Graphite won't work as well.

Hmmm, learned something!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »
ill bet yah this is why the speedometer is bouncing around?!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2015, 03:03:45 PM »
time to go get a new one and see if it works.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2015, 05:12:20 PM »
Let me guess, next to the exhaust on the left side. I should've thought of that.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2015, 05:40:49 PM »
that would explain the melted area, but I am not really sure how the huge gouges got into the cable above the x-case.

its currently a little moist here at the moment, so no workie until it dries out some.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2015, 08:08:16 PM »
I'm guessing the gouges are just wear patterns, from rubbing something for many years (floorboard, frame, etc).

OldKooT

« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2015, 10:42:09 PM »
I dig the floor safe.... I might have to rig one up for our truck. I am interested to see if a new cable will fix your speedo. I have one that does something similar with the bouncing...maybe I should take the cable out and have a looksee.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2015, 03:50:41 PM »
well, I now have a working speedometer.

I have also discovered that I have a pile of spilt boo boo for wiring behind the dash bezel.  as well as just about everything broken and will have to replace ALL of it   :'(

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:51:36 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »
I knew your hands were to big! :pokeNate

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2015, 04:25:47 PM »
hey now, these big paws can get into some tiny spaces.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »
Save all that dirt from the instrument cluster to fill in holes in the yard!  :o

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2015, 07:57:55 PM »
heck I just have to wait for a little wind to come along and it will get filled with all of the sand blowing around here.  wouldn't want to contaminate the sand with something from not around here. 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2015, 07:12:32 PM »
so I have been trying to figure out the wiper switch situation, and here is what is going on.

with the fuse in, the wipers do not shut off, pulled the fuse and they shut off. 

I figured it was the switch, got a new switch and installed.  wipers still do not turn off.

unplugged switch, installed fuse and wipers still worked.

dug a little more and found that there is a wiper switch control module.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »
I disconnected the control module, plugged switch directly in and they turned on and off.

can somebody please explain to me what the wiper switch control module does ??? ?

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2015, 08:11:54 PM »
I'm guessing interval (delay) mode

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2015, 08:13:54 PM »
The wiper control is what gives you delay when full speeds are not wanted. The speeds and stopping are controlled in the wiper motor unit.

Nate, I have a nice dash with 205k miles on it. No tach as my new one has that.

PM me

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »
...dumb post...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:56:28 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2015, 11:14:56 PM »
Well folks, daisy is on the lift with the rear end torn apart.  Thank you tate for the assist and ill hopefully get the rear finished tomorrow and get some pics up loaded.  I am tired, my dogs are a howlin something fierce, I am gonna get a beverage and take a shower.  Got an early and long day tomorrow.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2015, 11:17:02 PM »
Enjoy that beverage and an extra one for me. Look forward to progress
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2015, 07:40:01 PM »
looks as though I will have about 3 hours ish tomorrow and the rear should be done.  everything is put back together with new parts and some of the old ones (the durable parts that weren't destroyed) got a really good cleaning in the solvent tank along with use of the 3" die grinder.  I have been left speechless by the incompetence of the P.O.'s and their lack of mechanical knowledge/common sense.

here are some of the things that I have found that were done by the previous owners.

1. the underside was sprayed with rubberized undercoating so thick, that it has runs all over the place and there are some spots that are still actually wet.

2. don't ask me how, but there were parts of the axle (inside of the brake area and the inner portion of the back plate) that were sprayed with rubberized undercoating.

3. there were  literally 4 different size bolts that were holding the rear shock in place.

4. the axle's must have been over heated at some point because there are actually heat stains on the outer flanges of the axle shafts.

5. the outer axle flange had this combination RTV-high dollar reusable seal with the metal in it-with more RTV, and then there was RTV was used on the axle shaft bolts instead of blue lock-tite.

6. the things that got sprayed with the rubberized undercoating were the actual drive line components and not the frame or the underside of the bed or any of the areas that are susceptible to degradation by the elements.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2015, 07:40:31 PM »
give me a few and let me get some pics sorted out and ill post some up.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2015, 07:56:39 PM »
here are a few pics of tracey doing the work.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2015, 07:59:50 PM »
here are a few shots of the brake situation before cleaning and removal.  they were grooved pretty bad and were definitely in need of replacement.  ill have the old drums checked out and see if they can be turned down.  if they can, then I will hang onto them for a replacement set if the future.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:01:42 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2015, 08:08:20 PM »
here are a few shots of the inside of the differential when it was first opened up.  it was not that bad, but it did stink pretty bad and was definitely in need of being drained and replace.  I oil was not black and it did not look like it had water contamination.

I talked to our resident differential S.M.E. (subject matter expert) and he informed me that according to the markings, that this was the O.E. differential, that it has 3.73 gearing and that it was the G80 "gov-bomb".

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:10:33 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
now a "note to self"!  or should I say, I was a bone head and had a DEEERRRRRR moment. 

on these old 14 bolt FF axle hubs, all of the bearings, race's and seals go in and come out from the back of the hub. 

I kind of forgot about this and when I knocked out the rear seal, bearing and race, I beat the heck out of the front bearing (going the wrong way) and shattered it and the rollers all over the place.  then when I realized my moron moment, I flipped the hub assembly over and proceeded knock out the front race.  well when it just wouldn't budge, I took a look at things and remembered the split ring that holds the front race into place.

here is a pic of where the split ring sits and the split ring itself.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2015, 08:21:45 PM »
Rutt-Rooo

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2015, 08:23:06 PM »
and for all that don't know, the rear hub and brake drum are held together by the lug nut studs that go completely thru both pieces.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2015, 08:24:13 PM »
so, tomorrow I will have a few pics of the new rancho shocks, new fluid going in and everything buttoned up.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2015, 09:13:16 PM »
That looks like the limited slip diff in my 14 bolt.  Gov-bomb, eh?  I have the 3.73 ratio also.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2015, 10:09:06 PM »
one other note of importance.  ensure you install the rear bearing before you install the wheel seal.  other wise you will have to purchase another wheel seal to fix your mistake...........

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2015, 01:19:05 AM »
I learned of that "clip" also when reading up on what I had or I would have for sure done the same thing!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2015, 08:10:52 AM »
That made me think of the ratio of my doing things right the first time on SquareD vs the times I "Experimented!"

Probably approaches 1:1

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2015, 07:17:16 PM »
today was not a productive day.  as I got everything buttoned back up and ready to bleed the brake system, daisy decided she wanted to have herself a hissy fit.  upon further inspection of her issue, I found that fuel was not getting to the carb.  I pressurized the system and she ran for a min and cut off again. 

well at this point i pushed her outside and put her in the corner until i am ready to deal with changing the mechanical fuel pump. 

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »
you've already done the inline and standard fuel filters right?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2015, 08:45:52 PM »
Does it have dual tanks Nate? I thought I saw a pic somewhere where it had a valve....if so, the passenger side is default when the switch over system fails somewhere.
I always keep fuel in the right tank just in case. If either tank is empty, and the valve hangs open even the slightest, it will suck air....matter of fact, any cracked hose will allow air before fuel (you probably already know all of this.. Just throwing out some thoughts).

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 10, 2015, 08:54:01 AM »
Is Daisy still in the corner?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:55:26 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 10, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »
not in the corner anymore.  just been busy with field training for 2 weeks, into the easter weekend and now I have VFW elections tomorrow morning.  then I should have a little time to tinker.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2015, 07:37:09 PM »
not in the corner anymore.  just been busy with field training for 2 weeks, into the easter weekend and now I have VFW elections tomorrow morning.  then I should have a little time to tinker.

The day is fast approaching when you will only go to the field to hunt deer or teach your children something

You will miss the days of Velcro, but not field training! I sure don't!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal