Hello Guest

Author Topic: Single point sling or?  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Single point sling or?
« on: February 25, 2015, 11:37:03 PM »
Thinking I'd like to add a single point sling to my kit for my AR.
What are your thoughts/suggestions on what to look for.
I've already got the single point ring on the furniture.

Have these easy to get:

http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/category.jsp?catid=74824
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
Re: Single point sling or?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:53:53 PM »
Just get one with a quick detach and some strong bungy to it is the only solid recommendation I have. I liked the Botach sling, but even blackhawk makes a decent one with the aforementioned necessities.
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:23:42 AM »
Just get one with a quick detach and some strong bungy to it is the only solid recommendation I have. I liked the Botach sling, but even blackhawk makes a decent one with the aforementioned necessities.

I agree with this ^^.

Just remember depending on where/how you have it slung  it doesn't get caught on other equipment. What made you decide on a single point?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 07:07:21 AM »
^^x2

Make sure you have a velcro strap on your gear or belt so you can lash it down when you are moving, otherwise it flops all over the place and beats you to death if you transition to pistol and are on the move.

The bungee gives you a little more range for muzzle strikes too.  When I'm not all kitted up, I prefer the traditional sling so I can flip it over my back when I transition to pistol and have to move quick.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:25:15 AM »
Also depending on how you sling it,or your gear placement, you drop it down for transition, and DON'T control it, it WILL catch you in "THE" pills. I've watched it happen, I've laughed at them when it happened, I remind them of it to this day.Be aware of it, as a loaded rifle, with optic and light and whatever else you add gets momentum when not positively controlled...
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 10:21:33 AM »
Bobby, was wanting to look at it for quick transition. Thanks for the heads up on the pills. Not sure if I'll use it all the time, but want to try it out none the less.
Thanks all for the confirmation on the bungie and quick release.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »
I tried a single point on one of my ARs and I didn't like it.  It seemed like I couldn't get it to the point of hanging comfortably.  It either put to much pressure on my neck or it was awkward hanging off my shoulder.   I ended up going with a two point for my rifles I may carry at some point.  Vickers, BFG, etc all make good ones there is even a forum I can point you to that shows how to make a tactical two point sling for less than $15.   As far as transitions I've only been to one carbine course so I have limited experience but as was said above all you do is drop it in a controlled manner and in a way that allows you to get to your sidearm.  If you are being shot at or shooting at something that is shooting back and your rifle goes down properly slinging your rifle will be the last of your worries.  Getting the pistol out to finish what was started is priority number one.  And on that note the single point seemed to always be in the wrong place for me.  Ymmv

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »
I tried a single point on one of my ARs and I didn't like it.  It seemed like I couldn't get it to the point of hanging comfortably.  It either put to much pressure on my neck or it was awkward hanging off my shoulder.   I ended up going with a two point for my rifles I may carry at some point.  Vickers, BFG, etc all make good ones there is even a forum I can point you to that shows how to make a tactical two point sling for less than $15.   As far as transitions I've only been to one carbine course so I have limited experience but as was said above all you do is drop it in a controlled manner and in a way that allows you to get to your sidearm.  If you are being shot at or shooting at something that is shooting back and your rifle goes down properly slinging your rifle will be the last of your worries.  Getting the pistol out to finish what was started is priority number one.  And on that note the single point seemed to always be in the wrong place for me.  Ymmv
Pistol is only there to get you extra time to get back to your long gun. I tied my sling to a door handle and would drop it if I needed to grab the controls or throw a little green surprise or something
Halo's take getting used to. Uncomfortable for sure. It's something that you just learn to deal with
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »
It seemed like I couldn't get it to the point of hanging comfortably.  It either put to much pressure on my neck or it was awkward hanging off my shoulder.   

Were you just hanging it off your neck or shoulder like a conventional sling? If so that's a big reason why it wasn't working. Best way to sling it is, though it might vary for others:

Hold the sling in one hand, be it dominant or weak, depending on which side you want it to hang on. Take the other hand, "punch" it through the loop, then attach the sling to the rifle. It will hang over your neck and under one shoulder. It shouldn't add undo pressure to your neck or shoulder slung and adjusted correctly.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 05:18:22 PM »
here are a few pic of single point sling and side arms for yah.  as well as a couple of videos on how to use the sling. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+wear+a+single+point+sling
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 05:21:12 PM »
and here are a few soldiers wearing single point slings that can be converted into double point slings
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 11:36:22 PM »
It's been awhile since I tried and if I remember correctly I tried it in a similar fashion to what you describe as well as just hanging it off my neck and I also tried threading the sling through the shoulder pads on my plate carrier.  Maybe I need to dig it out and see if I can try that method and make it work a little better. I have a rifle that doesn't have a sling currently so that is a perfect candidate.  I also have found a group of guys that do some range drills every Thursday so that will be a good place to test it out. 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 06:52:26 AM »
And thats the key, drill drill drill and when you think you have it down, drill again.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 02:00:24 AM »
and here are a few soldiers wearing single point slings that can be converted into double point slings

But all the rifles have no mags,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yes, single point. Like anything you get used to it.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 02:05:31 AM »

Who are the soldiers without their PT belts on??? dont they know they are on borrowed time? That's a general order on most FOBS anymore! sheesh!
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »

Who are the soldiers without their PT belts on??? dont they know they are on borrowed time? That's a general order on most FOBS anymore! sheesh!

That's funny! THe generals and Colonels tried to get me to get my boys in some sort of uniform. Wear that safety sam stuff. When we were alone I asked him if he thought I was some sort of idiot? I explained I was a retired old Warrant officer and I don't do stupid so let's not talk about it again, and if he didn't like it, then please fire me and my boys and we'd take our helicopters (and our bank accounts), and go home.

Funny but with all those blackhawks and Chinooks around, he, well they always had me fly them when he needed to go someplace...him and all the sergeant majors!

Hey Blaine, how is Weston doing? He was looking great last time we saw a pic of him!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:15:17 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 11:11:30 AM »
Funny but with all those blackhawks and Chinooks around, he, well they always had me fly them when he needed to go someplace...him and all the sergeant majors!

You had AC, those didn't.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 11:14:43 AM »

You had AC, those didn't.
Exactly

Plus the total flight time of two of my pilots exceeded 20,000 hours whereas the total flight time of two Army pilots didn't add up to 2,000 hours.

And Army door gunners were twenty something crew chiefs, mine were ex-Special Forces, Rangers, Recon Marines, PJ's, and Seals...

Offline medic

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 10:04:18 PM »
the magpul ms4 gen 2 converts from 2 point to one point sling and has the quick connection. Gives the best of both worlds. you should check it out.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 10:09:56 PM »
the magpul ms4 gen 2 converts from 2 point to one point sling and has the quick connection. Gives the best of both worlds. you should check it out.

I was actually looking at one today at Gander Mountain. I got off work and realized I had nothing to do so I was wandering around looking at stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal