Hello Guest

Author Topic: Husqvarna 455 Rancher - Chain oiler cleaning.  (Read 25183 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Husqvarna 455 Rancher - Chain oiler cleaning.
« on: March 08, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »
So last weekend I was out trying to cut up a bit of firewood for the cabin. I noticed I wasn't getting as much oil on the chain as I should be. Did a little searching and found it's a pretty common problem, and a pretty easy fix.

You start off removing the chain and bar, top cover and spark plug.
Then stick a couple inches of cordage into the cylinder.

Then you remove the clutch, pliers to grip the clutch, another set to turn it in the "Off" direction.
The cordage stops the piston at the top of the stroke, enabling the crank to stop rotating.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Husqvarna 455 Rancher - Chain oiler cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:31:09 PM »
The clutch is removed by unthreading, then the drive sprocket comes off with a roller bearing.

The drive gear for the oil pump is next to come off. This is one of the failure modes for the oiling system on these saws. Mine was still good, and indicated a possible blockage to the inlet side of the pump.

The pump drive and cover off. Oil pump is secured by this allen screw.

Here is the oil pump removed. A quick rotation of the drive gear pushed residual oil out, so pump appears good.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:38:10 PM »
Cleaning out some debris around the pump supply.

I added a lot of high speed air, cleaned up all around, then a little shot backwards into the tank.

There was quite a lot of sawdust in the oil tank, and this is likely my problem. Flushed the bar oil tank to clean out all of the shavings.

Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 08:44:11 PM »
Hope I'm not posting right in the middle of your write up, but I have a husky and a big Sthill. The Husky stopped oiling as much as I think it needs to last season. I'm going to do this procedure on it and hopefully fix that before I burn up my bar
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »
Cleaned everything all up, reassembled the oiling system and saw enough to start it to test.
Well, I have oil again.

Finished up the assembly and put it away to return to the cabin.

I go through a fair bit of wood each year (3-4 cords), I'm no lumberjack, but I do spend a fair bit of time on the saw.

I have mixed feelings on this saw, it is very heavy compared to my Stihl 025, but I like the power.
My 025 is a bit cranky with temperature changes, but typically is my go to saw.
I think it is 2 1/2 to 3 pounds lighter, and at the end of the day that does matter.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »
Hope I'm not posting right in the middle of your write up, but I have a husky and a big Sthill. The Husky stopped oiling as much as I think it needs to last season. I'm going to do this procedure on it and hopefully fix that before I burn up my bar

No you caught the end of it, and no biggie anyhoot.

From what I found, this is most likely the reason, and less often is the pump drive that is keyed to the sprocket.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 08:50:41 PM »
Such a small world
My favorite saw was my old Sthil 025
Bought it from a pilot friend of mine who was a lumberjack before his Armee days. No telling how many hours was on that saw, but I cut a tree one day that first, unexpectantly pinched the bar then pivoted and fell on that saw breaking it all up. There was no saving it.
A few Christmas ago, my wife bought me the big Sthil with a 4 bolt main small block chevy powering it with a 22 foot bar. It's a workout and not my go to saw, the old Husky still is.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »
Funny story about mine too.
A friend in town liked our old couch that we were selling.
he wanted to make a deal, so I said sure.
I got the saw and cash to boot. I was expecting to give the cash, not receive.

I've used up a bar and a lot of chains on it. It has been to all corners of the north in my sleigh or quad.
By far my favorite saw, just hope it doesn't come to an end like yours.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 11:13:47 PM »
Do most saws have an similar oiling system?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 11:41:40 PM »
Great write up! I just got a Stihl 291, was looking at Husky's too tho
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »
Do most saws have an similar oiling system?

Without knowing for sure I'd say some fasion of similar. Would be a similar drive set up I would think but I'm not sure if it would be the same. Not a lot of options for the different manufacturers to do the same job.
I've never had problems with my Stihl, best bet is to see if YouTube has anything.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal