Hello Guest

Author Topic: Ramcharger Build  (Read 67121 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Ramcharger Build
« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »
Thanks for the update and nice seats. I bet those are cheaper than the recarro's I used in my old truck!

Hows mileage been? I have a gen 1 6bt for the sub.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »
I got the seats thru Summit, free shipping and no Tax, they were $600 for the pair and the adapters are $100 each.

Mileage is still 13-15MPG but I drive fast(75-80) and the RC weights +7000lbs, I am rebuilding a 47RH but I doubt the lockup with really help much.  We will see what is dose after the Cummins rebuild and the 47RH   

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2018, 02:05:26 PM »
Was just at summit eyeing them as the kids tried em.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2018, 04:10:41 PM »
How did the rear bumper re build turn out? I don’t recall seeing a finished one after the swing out decided to jump ship. Also, not that it’s worth anything now, and the seats are gross (dirty) but the 92 seats are in decent shape....

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2018, 04:24:37 PM »
I haven’t forgot about you, I’m making plans to head that way, sorry for the delay not a lot of free time!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2018, 07:31:19 PM »
I haven’t forgot about you, I’m making plans to head that way, sorry for the delay not a lot of free time!

Didn’t think you did, you know where it’s at and where it’s going, so no worries.

But seriously though, that rear bumper gas/air tank thing you built or were building, how did it turn out?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »
its on the I have to get back to that list, sad part its all cut just need to weld it up!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 10, 2018, 06:48:36 AM »
That picture of the seats makes it look like you are about to send that RC into orbit....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »
That picture of the seats makes it look like you are about to send that RC into orbit....
Remembering of course that recently his boss did just that same sort of thing!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 12, 2018, 11:40:20 AM »
So the block and crank are back from the machine shop they both checked out no issues/cracks everything is STD.  This engine was a core I picked up awhile back that had a broken camshaft from one of the gearcase bolts that came loose and fell into the gears. This did much damage to the engine, broke the cam, which then allowed the valves to hit the pistons, then all the pushrods bent, the tappets broke from the pushrods going into pretzel mode.

One other thing that happened was the keyway sheared on the crank gear I didn’t notice this the crank shop called me and told me about it, this will be fun fixing because I have to cut what’s left of the key so I can pull the gear.   

I still have ALOT of detail work I have to do to the block before I start reassembly!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 12, 2018, 12:13:09 PM »
I like that engine stand!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 12, 2018, 04:07:32 PM »
That would hold a truck.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 07, 2018, 12:18:22 PM »
Tackled the sheared dowel pin on the Cummins crank this weekend, I taped up the area real good and then took a small dremel to what was left of the dowel. 

I bought a Hyd gear puller for this job for two reasons.

1.   I didn’t have a good way to secure the crank and with a conventional puller it was going to be a challenge.
2.   The puller was reasonable so it was worth the gamble and I can always use it for other things in the future.

Ok so once I ground down the dowel as far as I was comfortable with I setup the puller and without too much effort it came right off.
After that I drilled a hole in the center of the dowel and used an easy out to remove what was left of the old dowel, by design the dowel is soft so that helped a lot.  The gear looks fine but they are not much money from Cummins so I will get a new one.

Side note my DD is a Dodge Magnum which is pretty much a direct copy of a E-class Mercedes, they also copied the weaknesses in that design notably the suspension.  So I had to change the upper and lower control arms, front Pads and rotors (this thing is really hard on brakes) oil change, and then I noticed when I was inspecting the rear Diff there is about  1/8 to ¼ of slop in the pinion to ring, this explains the noise, the oil was clean but we will see how it goes.     

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 07, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »
last picture

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 07, 2018, 01:14:25 PM »
No pics are showing
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »
No pics are showing

I approved them so they should be up now.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 07, 2018, 02:52:33 PM »
No pics are showing

I approved them so they should be up now.

Ah cool, didn't realize there was a pic approval process. Must only be for pics hosted off the forum server, not linked from elsewhere (like tapatalk)?
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 07, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
That's no bueno on the magnum diff. $$$$$$$$. what year is it?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 07, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
2005 R/T it’s supposedly  a 2.82 ratio

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 08, 2018, 06:11:48 AM »
Ah cool, didn't realize there was a pic approval process. Must only be for pics hosted off the forum server, not linked from elsewhere (like tapatalk)?

It's possible, I just saw by the pics it said "Approve All" by the groups of photos so I approved them for you.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 08, 2018, 05:04:27 PM »
Hey there sir, is the magnum awd or just rwd, and is it a 3.5L or 5.7L motor? 2.82 ratio smells like 5.7L which is dealer only complete assembly...  :undecided:

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 08, 2018, 06:55:10 PM »
2wd, 5.7.   Mopar dose not sell them anymore you are correct, not even the gears.  I can always go with an SRT unit or one of the GETRAG setups but ill see where this goes, it not making noise or metal yet its just sloppy right now.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Ramcharger Build(life goes sidways)
« Reply #322 on: May 21, 2018, 11:09:34 AM »
Well ten steps forward twenty steps back.

All good things come to an end or side in this case.  This is what happens when you let a supposed experienced driver, drive your truck!  She was very lucky she didn’t kill herself and that is the most important thing!  20 more feet on either side of this road and this would have been a whole different story.

Long story short she was going too fast, lost control, got the truck sideways and rolled it on its side, the shell is completely tweaked and is really not repairable, at least I'm not willing to do it. In this case the roof rack prevented from a complete roll over, it amazes me that the door window and the rear glass did not break.

I cannot stress how important it is to be prepared for a situation like this, having good recovery gear and knowledge of how to use the recovery gear made this for a fairly painless recovery, that and having a extra vehicle to help pull it over on its feet.

Mechanically all is good I drove it home after refilling the engine oil, and everything worked as required.
I honestly have not 100% decided is I going to rebuild or not, you never really appreciate how much work, money and time you put into a project like this until you start thinking about what is need to replicate the whole process, the small detail work are always the things you forget about.

The RC was become somewhat important for my side business, if I do decide to do this again I’m debating to buy a Dakota or Ram four door to get me thru the summer, with the way work is right now It would take me six months to a year to rebuild IF I rebuild.       

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 21, 2018, 12:16:48 PM »
NO!!! Phil that's just terrible. I assume there are pics out there waiting for Bobby or someone to approve. Sorry to hear about this, I really liked this build.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 21, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »
Pictures approved........letting a chick you're not married to drive your truck......disapproved!  I hope she's paying for the crap she broke - those were the rules in the racing world; you break it, you bought it!  Explains why I never got crazy in a Sprint Car while driving it.....too much expensive stuff to damage!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 21, 2018, 01:08:12 PM »
DAMN
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 21, 2018, 01:57:14 PM »
Ouch. Was that a run uphill, picture looks level but the other looks like a run was in the works?

Is the roof that bad? Looks like it took the brunt with the rack.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 21, 2018, 01:57:47 PM »
Sorry about your unfortunate luck. However, you could treat it as a tool. Meaning tools get scratches and dings. It is a tool to get you point A to B, it is still capable of that. My EB the first dog house I replaced after a side toss, once I beat up the new dog house I said the heck with it and drove it...…..
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 21, 2018, 02:00:22 PM »
Pictures approved........letting a chick you're not married to drive your truck......disapproved!  I hope she's paying for the crap she broke - those were the rules in the racing world; you break it, you bought it!  Explains why I never got crazy in a Sprint Car while driving it.....too much expensive stuff to damage!

Hindsight is always 20/20, the girl who was driving is the daughter (early 20’s) of one of the pilots I fly with, she has driven this road over 100 times over the last couple years and his truck most of the times.  My guess she was trying to be a trophy truck driver and got it bouncing and then sideways and then on its side.

I very happy she is not hurt, that is the most important thing.  Money was not discussed at this point, and I’m 100% in agreement with you, it was the same way when I was road racing, you ding you pay.  Its hard to put a dollar figure on this I will have to buy a donor but then all the work for the swap I am currently thinking around 5K in parts Im sure it will be more.  I will see if her dad offers anything but most people don’t take responsibility for screw-ups!  Id like to see her pay just so she learns the lesson. if it were me and it was his truck I would have already written the check!

Very sad thing she never apologized to me, her Dad did but she never said one word to me. 

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 21, 2018, 02:02:07 PM »
Ouch. Was that a run uphill, picture looks level but the other looks like a run was in the works?

Is the roof that bad? Looks like it took the brunt with the rack.

nope she was coming down!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
Down answers a lot. Been there plenty of times just trying to keep it straight! Sure that slug in the engine bay didn't help with the short wheelbase.

Glad no one was hurt is the biggie.

Maybe a doner body?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 21, 2018, 03:13:41 PM »
WAIT!  We know a guy with a square body pick-up somewhere on this SITE!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 21, 2018, 03:16:06 PM »
Heck, I bet Norm has a spare body for it!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 21, 2018, 03:44:58 PM »
Sorry about your unfortunate luck. However, you could treat it as a tool. Meaning tools get scratches and dings. It is a tool to get you point A to B, it is still capable of that. My EB the first dog house I replaced after a side toss, once I beat up the new dog house I said the heck with it and drove it...…..

Agreed, but if one of your employees/helpers cut your favorite Snapon wrench in half with the plasma cutter using it to hold a piece of metal you would not be happy.  There is a little sentimental value in the RC but in the end its just a Truck.   

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 21, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »
Heck, I bet Norm has a spare body for it!!

They re still out there, getting harder to find, either super nice or beat to death.  I have not decided what to do or if I will rebuild.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 21, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »
Wow. That sucks.

Sorry to hear. Glad she’s ok. This will be an integrity test for the dad for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 21, 2018, 04:42:55 PM »

Agreed, but if one of your employees/helpers cut your favorite Snapon wrench in half with the plasma cutter using it to hold a piece of metal you would not be happy.  There is a little sentimental value in the RC but in the end its just a Truck.

I understand, I have a handful of tool that were my grand dads and they don't get used by even me. The angle I was going for with my prior comment was "character" that tool has a lot more of it now and a story got added to it too...… Wish you the best.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 21, 2018, 10:39:49 PM »
Wow. That sucks.

Sorry to hear. Glad she’s ok. This will be an integrity test for the dad for sure

It only took this life lesson once for me really, “don’t borrow things”.

I borrowed a fly rod from a old boss. My brother in law snapped the tip off in the tailgate.   I had to buy a new Sage rod and than was in no position to buy my self a new rod because I really enjoyed fly fishing.   So now I don’t borrow things, if I justify its worth borrowing I might as well purchase my own.   

Mind you a few exceptions to this rule with a few select people.   And that list gets smaller every time I look at it. 

What is girls dads age?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 21, 2018, 10:57:24 PM »
good rules to live by.  Mine is "I don't borrow anything I can't afford to replace"

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Ramcharger Build
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2018, 12:16:10 AM »
Dang! That’s unfortunate to see, but glad the girl is ok. May have a place for it if your not going to rebuild it you may also be able to talk my wife out of hers, but unlikely, she loves the thing.

Sorry about the overall loss of such a nice rig.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:24:53 AM by wyorunner »

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2018, 12:31:37 AM »
Sorry to see your ride in that shape. We all know how you feel about that RC... And for her not to acknowledge her mistake is just throwing salt in your wounds. Hope they do the right thing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2018, 07:25:40 AM »
I hope her dad had a heart to heart with her.  Perhaps an apology from her is coming. I understand the pain felt about a project made by so much of your time and effort being senselessly destroyed in seconds.  Was her dad in the truck too? If I had a place for it Id come get it.  It’s still a great ride!
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »
I hope her dad had a heart to heart with her.  Perhaps an apology from her is coming. I understand the pain felt about a project made by so much of your time and effort being senselessly destroyed in seconds.  Was her dad in the truck too? If I had a place for it Id come get it.  It’s still a great ride!
I'll echo this. I'm hoping the magnitude of her error has her speechless and in shock, not knowing what to say to you. Here's hoping they step up to the plate and take care of you.

OldKooT

« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »
Bummer man on the dings... I'd just drive it as is. Now ya don't have to worry about damage. Then again I drive Patch...way worse shape body wise LoL So you may want to ignore my opinion....

I own a very well built RC with a cummins.. If I do it again (working on it) I'd build a short box pickup with a 6bt....far more useful, stable. Our RC pretty much is just a road cruiser, its too short of a wheelbase for off road use with that nose anchor.   Still a bummer man....

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 12, 2018, 08:49:43 PM »
Well as fate would have it the guys daughter stepped up to the plate, at least enough to cover parts to redo what was lost.  Teaser in the rear view! 

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 12, 2018, 09:07:44 PM »
Good deal, keep us posted on progress

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 12, 2018, 09:25:51 PM »
That's good news!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 12, 2018, 09:48:19 PM »
That’s great to hear

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 13, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »
Well as fate would have it the guys daughter stepped up to the plate, at least enough to cover parts to redo what was lost.  Teaser in the rear view!

I’d hit the brakes- that guys following awfully close!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 13, 2018, 08:17:46 AM »
that thing wouldn't happen to be green and come from KY now would it?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal