Hello Guest

Author Topic: Ramcharger Build  (Read 67126 times)

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Ramcharger Build
« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2016, 11:43:50 AM »
The AC system is pretty simple, it just performs really bad in our trucks, maybe in Alaska or Greenland it might work good but anywhere it gets hot its marginal in performance.

Do you still have the factory AC box in your truck?  You will still need the vacuum system to make the doors work in the AC box.  As far as no electronics the factory Dodge system is the way to go its really 30's technology.  Worst case you really only need the defroster so you could wire the blower motor on a relay but without some voodoo you would only have full speed. 

Or you could go to an aftermarket AC system.

So far this PWM is working well, and any electronics can be protected against EMI/pulse if you want to go thru the effort.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2016, 12:24:28 PM »
this might be the best piece of electrical goodies to go in the '89. I'm assuming that the fan control speed can be mounted in any location by simply splicing and soldering longer wires to reach an accessible mounting spot. and it takes the fan control speed lever out of the circuit..? that.. would be perfect. can't wait to see some pics/wiring diagram of what you did.

maybe then my battery voltage wouldn't drop as much with fan on high along with pushing more air. a win win in my book

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2016, 03:01:46 PM »
Yes you are correct, and that is what I did, just extended the wires and mounted the potentiometer.  so far its working very well, the unit I picked has its own cooling fan and this should be mounted somewhere it gets airflow.  the Factory switch will not control anything once you do the conversion.

Hopefully your blower cage/fan is in good shape because nobody makes them aftermarket

I will draw up a schematic and post pictures soon.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 26, 2016, 03:15:17 PM »
Phil, I would appreciate your comments on my build thread regarding steel vs 7075 aluminum
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 26, 2016, 05:24:56 PM »
as far as I can tell.. the blower and housing all works well. just seems to pull the volt meter down when in high, and like you said only getting maybe 10volts. if it works on the cummins, may do it on my 355 swapped Cherokee since it shows it worse. (pulls voltage way down bc it's not running right off the battery)

I wonder if it matters which piece to order (whether from CA or China..) they all seem the same but the link you sent is showing out of stock. maybe I'll just hold off till California has another shipment. hahah

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 26, 2016, 05:56:07 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-30V-80A-PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller-With-Constant-Current-Output-2400W-MAX/371638913533?_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3D5d60a6b7dc714cfe93d779b4bf2deb9f%26pid%3D100167%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D371521297570

this is the same I got but it dose not have the reversible option, but you don't need it really!  in the USA

you could go the very simple route and just use a relay for when the switch is on high but then you are still dealing with the factory switch and resistor module and all the 20+ year wire.  I wanted to get rid of all of that.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 26, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »
if I'm gonna do it, I'd like it to cut the factory stuff completely out so its just the potentiometer controlling the fan.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 26, 2016, 06:45:44 PM »
the beauty of on of these unit is you can leave 100% of the factory stuff in place,  run all new wire and forget about it.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2016, 07:33:14 PM »
perfect. will add it to my cart and order when I get back home

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 29, 2016, 08:33:54 PM »
I started my rear bumper rebuild, I went with the comp 4X4 units and the only issue I see is the shear bracket will not fit.  I really like the width of my current bumper but I might extend it long enough to pick up 2ea of the bolt holes and then a little boxing to help stiffin it up.  I have everything but time to do the work.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 30, 2016, 08:38:44 AM »
I'd definitely extend that structure to catch those bolt holes

Why no time?

Too many rocket launches?

Darned rockets...

For me it was helicopters and jets

They were always gettin' in the way of my quality time!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2016, 10:34:46 AM »
I agree in principle but then the bumper becomes a rock and tree catcher!  I will extend the bumper to catch the second hole and I might be able to modify the hatch on the RC so I can move the hinge in more and maybe get all three.  I can also strengthen the bracket  to make up if I do cut it down to fit

Lots and lots of rockets, I feel like the dunkin donughts guy most days, time to build the rockets!!!  For me its been Rockets, Missiles, Airplanes(all types), Cars and Boats, motorcycles, weapons systems and anything associated with those activities.  I have always stayed away from those rotary wings because they are so dangerous!   

Its killing me because I have 100% of the material to finish the build just no time to do the work
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:17:29 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 03, 2016, 10:31:55 PM »
So the other day coming back from a trip in the RC I notice my passenger rear brake caliper smoking, so as I looking at that I notice the rear hub seal has developed a leak.  So a little background on the Axle I completely rebuilt this unit and when I upgraded to the Disk brakes were the hub seal rides was grooved pretty bad so I installed a Redi-Sleeve  and I hadn’t had a problem until recently.

So I disassembled everything and now the “new” Redi-Sleeve has a groove worn in it now so I have to replace it again, they are about $42 but you have to be careful installing and go on VERY even.  Everything back together now with new brake pads and no leaks after 100mi run.

My only question was the pad wear, as you can see the pads are not very even, the other side was like this also but not to this degree.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 03, 2016, 10:36:06 PM »
No picture yet, but when I've had seals go, if it was missed for real long, it seemed the oils melted the pads.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 03, 2016, 11:14:56 PM »
On the bumper, I'd just trim the gusset (or replace it with one that will drop down the outer edge of the bumper) & the three hole tab area would get heated & bent down side of bumper as well. I wouldn't extend the bumper, you won't gain enough strength to matter.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 04, 2016, 12:54:48 AM »
No picture yet, but when I've had seals go, if it was missed for real long, it seemed the oils melted the pads.

No the oil never got to them

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 04, 2016, 12:56:25 AM »
On the bumper, I'd just trim the gusset (or replace it with one that will drop down the outer edge of the bumper) & the three hole tab area would get heated & bent down side of bumper as well. I wouldn't extend the bumper, you won't gain enough strength to matter.

Agreed, just need to find time to put it all together.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 04, 2016, 01:18:15 AM »
Never seen pads wear like that, but it seems one of the pistons in your caliper is getting more pressure than the other, causing un even wear. However that is only if your calipers are dual piston. Just thinking out loud here, have your pistons ever been pushed all the way out? As in the pedal was pushed when the caliper was not installed? Or something to that effect? Did that with a wheel cylinder on my 4Runner, I think it was because I pushed the drive side while the passenger side was without the drum to maintain pressure, or vice versa. All that being said, is it possible it may have caused a piston to hang up?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 04, 2016, 08:07:43 AM »
No the calipers are K20 chevy fronts single piston, they are brand new units from when I did the conversion.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 04, 2016, 08:37:06 AM »
I used to sell Ford & GM front king pin disc conversions. They weren't my design but I cut all the brackets & helped with a couple small design changes over the years. The one kit (thinking Ford but it's fuzzy) we used a 10ga (.135 thick) spacer between the main bracket that bolted to the knuckle to center the caliper on the rotor. I know nothing of what or whose kit you have but after looking at the pics wondering if you don't need a spacer similar.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 04, 2016, 09:25:41 AM »
The kit I used is from TSSM ther are spacers used in this setup, I am going to give them a call today and see what they say.  Not sure what caused the weird wear pattern but it both sides are doing it so something has changed over the last 60K miles.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 04, 2016, 09:40:57 AM »
I would mount everything together without the pads and make sure the caliper is aligned with the rotor   
and the bushings are tight.  If those 2 items are gtg,  and the rotor wasn't loose, you might have an issue with the bracket flexing....it wouldn't take much to cause that amount of uneven wear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
That was the first thing I did, it looks good/acceptable everything was tight.  the calipers came with the kit and were new units but everything is made in China so its always suspect but all that looked good also.  I am beginning to believe its flex also but when I have someone press the brake petal I don't see enough flex to be concerned about

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2016, 12:05:58 PM »
Could always mount a dial indicator on it & have someone press on the peddle too.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2016, 12:17:12 PM »
Using my calibrated eye I would say between 4-10thous

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2016, 01:03:32 PM »
Do those calipers float on pins or slide on the bracket?  Looks like a situation where the pins are sticking or slide is not lubed but I'm not familiar with that particular set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2016, 01:30:46 PM »
Pins, its just like a standard 3/4 ton Chevy front setup.  I am beginning to think its the calipers

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2016, 01:44:04 PM »
I was thinking flex under load...braking/torsional load. I can't think of a way to check that. Since everything looks good, I would just slap some pads back on and chaulk it up to design.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2016, 03:43:20 PM »
Maybe a couple more bolts on those mounts would help,,,,,,,,,, :o
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »
Maybe a couple more bolts on those mounts would help,,,,,,,,,, :o

Now your just being silly.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2016, 04:00:08 PM »
I am no expert so take EVERYTHING I say with a grain of salt....its worth what it will cost ya.  ;) They appear to be wearing in a straight line....I would think if it was flexing you might get some chatter depending on when the brakes were applied and if it was aligned or not with the pad when the pads were closed on the rotor? This is only on one side right? You might try measuring both sides and checking all the clearances, tolerances, check for level etc. and see if you come up with different calcs on the side that wears funky v. the other side. Assuming the tires are wearing evenly it would seem the caliper is off to the rotor.....if the hub was offset (which would include the rotor) somehow the tire would wear unevenly no?

Curious what you find out....

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 05, 2016, 07:43:01 PM »
Since it's floating on pins make sure the caliper slides freely. Install the bracket and caliper without the rotor and move it in and out it should move smoothly and freely. Pins and grease are a cheap fix

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 05, 2016, 09:03:36 PM »
Charles is right. If those pins are binding, it will do that. I thought you said they were new, but I went back and realized they were new over 60k ago.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2016, 12:04:56 PM »
Since it's floating on pins make sure the caliper slides freely. Install the bracket and caliper without the rotor and move it in and out it should move smoothly and freely. Pins and grease are a cheap fix

Agreed. uneven brake wear us usually one pad dragging on the rotor after you've release the breaks. either the piston in the caliper isn't returning to zero, either fast enough, or at all, or the slides are dirty and causing the floating aspect to be nil and allowing that pad to just ride on the rotor.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 07, 2016, 10:36:06 PM »
Are we sure the actual caliper mount is square to toe rotor??

I'd think the amount of misalignment (angular variance) might equal the amount that mount could be off

I may very well be wrong, but it is a possibility regardless of how remote the odds...

OldKooT

« Reply #285 on: November 17, 2016, 08:15:15 AM »
Did you replace the little rubber O rings in the calipers? The ones your pins slide through? When they are worn they will wear pads oddly.

I'd be more worried about why your wheel seal is grinding a groove in your seal surface. The hub and  the rotor moving around during cornering and such would also cause odd wear. It's a Dodge Dana 70...you should be worried LoL

BTW I was surprised...no safety wire on your caliper bracket to housing bolts?  ;D

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 17, 2016, 08:31:32 AM »
^^^^ Is that a Norm sighting???

Can I get confirmation...??...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 17, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
Confirmed, multiple hits confirmed.

Kate has em wrenching again and his heads up after the election.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 17, 2016, 11:11:07 AM »
It's a Dana 70...you should be worried LoL

No truer words have ever been spoken..... ::)

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 23, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »
Just quick update, the rear brakes have been working as advertised so nothing notable as of yet.
I did pick up this yesterday if my 46rh even dies this will be rebuilt.  The 47rh are getting hard to find especially ones that were behind the Diesels and V10

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 23, 2016, 10:47:57 PM »
You should see what they want for just cores out here!

Are you going to rebuild yourself? Thinking about mine, Don did not have good luck doing his.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 24, 2016, 01:04:16 AM »
Yes that's why I buy them when I see them, this was behind a V10. But for $125 it's hard to pass up, it's needs a rebuild but it looks like it was just the clutches.  I will rebuild it my self.  I have done 727's for years and these are pretty close so I don't think I will have to much trouble.  Don has a Dodge truck???   

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 24, 2016, 03:32:03 AM »
Yep, and it has the 46h in it to as I have. I think mine is good,(sheared the flywheel) but still want HD parts. Plus mine came with a 205 and the cross member.

Seen a few "how to's" on youtube, its the upgrades that I am not really sure about.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 24, 2016, 11:21:34 AM »
JR, I think way back in time Don did have a Dodge, but haven't seen any postings in so long I think it was repossessed or sold at a garage sale or something.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 24, 2016, 12:14:33 PM »
Yep, and it has the 46h in it to as I have. I think mine is good,(sheared the flywheel) but still want HD parts. Plus mine came with a 205 and the cross member.

Seen a few "how to's" on youtube, its the upgrades that I am not really sure about.

It really depends on how your going to be using the truck, if you are going to tow heavy and turn up the power then you MIGHT start to have problems, so internal upgrades might be worth it.  Shearing the flexplate is a sign they either had the power turned up or were towing heavy and then things like the front input shaft could be suspect. 

Automatics are not hard they are just basically a hyd pump. 

For the 46rh(nonlockup)in my RC I do not know how many miles are on it.  I put a overhualed autozone overhualed TC and shift kit when I did the swap and have not had any problems after 60k miles of all kinds of terrain. 

Heat is the enemy, I have only seen the trans temp get to around 190-200 a few times it's always climbing hills switchbacks so pulling a grade and going slow the engine temp was up also, in most cases your tranny temp should stay coupled to your engine temp, 99% of the time my temp stays around 140.  If you keep it cool and have a good rebuild then I don't think you will have any problems, only reason I'm going to the 47rh(lockup) is to maybe help with the fuel mileage when on the highway.

Of note when off road and in low range and carrying power my trans temp never went over 160.

Also the V10 and Diesiels use the same transmission housing, the counter weights internally are different to compensate with the rpm difference and the TC are different.  Also the adapter plates from the engine to transmission are different from the 46rh and the 47rh so that means the over length of the package will be one inch longer.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 24, 2016, 01:22:14 PM »
I wish my Dmax would stay that cool. I thought about lockup but unless a deal comes my way the 46RH will be the tranny of choice. I am thinking about the upgrade input and know that includes the first gear set.

I plan on turning it up to the 300-350hp range. Just a VE, so nothing major.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2016, 11:10:31 AM »
i'm sure you have already done lots of looking on the internetzz on the swap.. but there are a few small things here and there i believe i've committed to memory, but are also in the 715.9  build.

one major one being the machining of the coupling from trans to case and swapping over the shift and TV lever from the 46 to the 47rh..

OldKooT

« Reply #297 on: December 27, 2016, 01:43:07 PM »
Good score man on the trans. And yah if ya can rebuild a 727, the newer OD stuff is basically the same trans with gadgets attached.

Just don't fall for the "super tight" converters so many sell for Cummins trucks. They will kill off road drive-ability and MPG. Especially the VE pump trucks. They like a lil "stall"

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 27, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »
you think a tight stall might be some issue with what the kaiser is experiencing? seems to not want to return to idle after a quick bump of the skinny pedal while in gear. (even just bumping it to get it moving from a dead stop and taking your foot of the fuel quickly..)

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 09, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »
Not much to report on the RC front, 60K on the conversion now, and it has been a very dependable truck. 

The original seats have given up the ghost and to repair the factory seats is as much if not more than new seats.  I bought a set of Corbeau Sport Seats  https://corbeau.com/sport-reclining/sport-seat.html and seat adapters https://corbeau.com/master-seat-brackets  for the upgrade. 

Seats fit good no issues, there is interfere with the head rest and the roll bar if you recline to far, also the D670 seat adapter on the passenger side does not fit as advertised, I had to install 3/8 spacers under the bracket to get the seat tracks to clear the factory seat pedestal. Looking at the passenger seat seems Dodge installed 1/2” spacers not sure why but that’s what Dodge did.

Corbeau has very good customer service VERY responsive, they are actually making me a custom seat adapter so I can get rid of the 3/8 spacers Im currently using. 

I have started the spare Core Cummins engine rebuild, the block and crank are getting checked at the shop right now, once I get everything back I will update on the assembly.  The only reason I’m swapping out the engine is because Im worried about the thrust bearing failing as the first gen Cummins has a three piece design and I don’t want it to come apart out on the trail.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal