Hello Guest

Author Topic: whats for dinner tonight  (Read 239196 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: whats for dinner tonight
« Reply #500 on: December 06, 2015, 05:45:50 PM »
So this is new to me.  I like grits ( no one else in the house does) where is the how to make grits on the forum?

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 06, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »
i have not issue with grits at all, i just have never made them other than some instant stuff.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 07, 2015, 02:22:30 AM »
i have not issue with grits at all, i just have never made them other than some instant stuff.

THE HORROR!

Oh as for my dinner last night I had 1 cup of white rice topped with some Sriracha and a sweet bourbon marinated porkchop with a pickle spear on the side. All washed down with 1 LTR of water.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 08, 2015, 02:28:36 PM »
^^^You're all soldier

Need to civie up some
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 08, 2015, 03:24:22 PM »
^^^You're all soldier

Need to civie up some

I've let myself slip in some ways. Some ways I haven't. I still use phonetics frequently, I still hate the word "Hooah" with a passion.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
whats for dinner tonight
« Reply #505 on: December 08, 2015, 08:41:07 PM »
Dinner tonight is half a recipient half off the top of my head

Ready go !!!
Ham, cheese, jalapeños,

Stacked to go on my flattened Costco chicken breasts

I pounded the chicken flatter but not enough to punch holes in.  Mostly so I could fold in half. Tag with toothpicks and toss in a pan to cook in the over for a hour at 350
Add a little seasoning after half hour and check internal temp
Back in the oven again till temp is 160
This is part of what I followed.  Only the sauce portion.  Watch out for the edited milk add
Plus we made the bread crumb (make topping)
And back in the oven after sauce was added.  This is just of crisp the top and warm everything.

Time varies per oven and what not.   The son wants mushrooms in his next time
Finished

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:59:26 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 09, 2015, 02:45:00 AM »
And those looked good Dave.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 09, 2015, 03:52:47 AM »
So this is new to me.  I like grits ( no one else in the house does) where is the how to make grits on the forum?

I have bought the Quaker instant grits and that is the extent of my knowledge and taste of them. So I too would love to see what you guys do for "real" grits.

Happy to trade my wife's real mac and cheese recipe for anyone who think mac and cheese comes from a box with the letters K R A F T on it.  ;D

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 09, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »
Happy to trade my wife's real mac and cheese recipe

I'll gladly copy said mac and cheese recipe...

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 09, 2015, 11:43:30 AM »
Tate's Cheesey bacon Grits:

I use a 4/1 ratio on liquid to grits. cook times vary of course.

2 cups water
2 cups milk(I like whole for more better creamy)
1 cup stone ground grits or coarse cornmeal(it's really the same thing, white is southern, yellow is Italian polenta)
4 tablespoons of butter
1 tsp salt(I use kosher) you may want more, they need a lot of seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper(I used fresh ground)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
6 oz. of GOOD cheese, grated. Gruyere, fontina, sharp cheddar(doesn't melt as well but tastes good)
1 Tbsp rough chopped flat leaf parsley
6 slices thick cut pepper bacon(have nate ship you some of his)

Fry you up some of that thick delicious bacon. make sure to cook a couple extra pieces for snacking.
Drain, crumble and set aside
bring water, milk, butter and salt to a low boil
slowly add grits/cornmeal to the pot while whisking continuously
reduce heat to low for a bare simmer
add garlic powder and black pepper
continue to whisk for at least 5 min, just slow, tedious whisking
simmer uncovered for 10 more min while whisking every couple minutes. it's work, it's hot, it's worth it.

by this time the grits will be much thicker, but still loose and creamy.
add cheese in 1/4's, folding in with a spatula until it's completely melted before adding the next handful, and keep the last 1/4 aside for topping.
fold in bacon and parsley, pull pot off the heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes. (this stuff is molten lava so be careful)
if it's the main event, just use a shallow bowl, dollop it on there and top with a little extra cheese. I try to keep a little extra bacon to top and some parsley but the bacon usually gets eaten. Serve it up hot on it's own or with a good pan fried bone in pork chop, mmm or some poached eggs for breakfast and of course extra bacon.

P.S., leftovers get spread out in a shallow 9x9 baking pan and cooled in the fridge. This will set up very dense and if you cut it up into squares like brownies and pan fry them in some of the leftover bacon fat and serve a couple squares over some hot marinara or spaghetti sauce with some parmesan you will love yourself for doing so.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 09, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »
I like how you party with the grits. I was waiting for someone to say "put jelly in them." That is verboten!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 09, 2015, 12:44:35 PM »
dang bro, thats some love for grits right there.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 09, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »
I had them in florida at Disneyworld back in '07 for the first time and fell in love. I've got several cool variations including my version of shrimp & grits, but they all usually start with the base recipe, either with or without bacon. (always with bacon). I'll post up my prosciutto wrapped tiger prawns with red wine, balsamic butter sauce over grits in a bit here if I can find a pic.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 09, 2015, 02:06:32 PM »
I love grits, I just wish places around here that do breakfast and serve them, would in fact serve them cooked correctly. They aren't supposed to run off a spoon faster than liquid when the spoon is tipped..

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 10, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »
Porketta roast with some white rice. Might even go crazy and have some black cherry koolaid.. maybe.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 10, 2015, 05:13:08 PM »
Tate that sounds delicious! And it IS very similar to polenta! My wife makes that too and tops it with beef ribs cooked in sauce for hours. Yummm!!

I will get her Mac & Cheese recipe post haste!

Last night I made pasta fagiole which is just a basic pasta and beans soup made with whatever is readily at hand.

Start with a quick sauce (and at my house due to my wife's Italian background "sauce" is always tomato sauce)

I start with minced garlic (we like garlic so I usually do about 5 or 6 cloves)
Some Extra Virgin Olive oil
When the garlic is translucent add one large can of crushed tomatoes
I add all sorts of spices- Italian seasoning, basil, a little rosemary, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper and a touch of sugar

I will usually add some red wine as well (my wife has a jar in the fridge that all unfinished bottles go into for cooking)

I let that bubble away in a slow simmer for some amount of time depending on whatever else I am doing (last night was a half hour or so).

We had about a quarter of a leftover pork roast which I cubed and added to the mix.

Next I boiled some Orecchiette which is the little "hat" pasta. It was just something we had in the cupboard but you can use any smaller type of pasta....small shells, farfalle whatever you have. The pasta will keep cooking in the soup so I only cook it to a pretty firm al dente. Too much and it will be mush after it continues to cook in the soup.

While the pasta was cooking I added a can of (rinsed) black beans.

Then chicken broth....I added about a box and a half of the 32 oz. broth (just a new box and whatever was in the one that was already in the fridge). You can see I don't use precise measurements here! ha! 

I let it cook another 15 minutes or so to meld the flavors. Then at the end I add the pasta. I let it cook another 5 or so minutes and its ready. If you want to make this ahead of time you can just leave the pasta until the last minute so it doesn't get killed.

Ladle and serve. Really great on a cold day! I am fighting a cold so added some siracha to my bowls to give it more kick and clear out my sinuses. You can really make this with whatever you have. We have added chopped onions, chopped green beans, zucchini (add that near the end so they don't fall completely apart), etc etc. 

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 14, 2015, 09:10:54 PM »
So as promised here's the wife's mac and cheese recipe....

And I just realized the spell check here must have not liked the word "f a g i o l e" cause of the 1st 3 letters.  ::)

Anywho....

Make a roux with 1/2 to 1 stick of butter aND flour....

Add 4 cups whole milk....

Season with onion powder, mustard powder, salt and pepper....1/2 tsp for onion and mustard....more or less as desired for salt and pepper....

Bring to soft boil and start adding cheese while whisking.....4 cups shredded sharp cheddar (but different cheeses are great for different flavors). Keep stirring to melt.

Boil 1 lb elbows or shells or small ziti...drain and wait....

When cheese is all melted put pasta in a bowl and pour cheese sauce all over it....spoon to spread it completely....put in cookware pan. Add panko bread crumbs all over the top with butter also (again as much or as ltitle as you want)....cook for 40 minutes at 350.

You can always go more on the cheese...she added a full cup of parmesan tonight to the 4 cups of cheddar. It was good! ;)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 14, 2015, 09:36:35 PM »
Wil, al dente on the pasta since its going to be baked?

Sounds wonderful.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 18, 2015, 09:34:10 PM »
Starting out the holiday with some festive macaroni and cheese.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 18, 2015, 10:45:11 PM »
Friday night all you can eat fish fry.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 19, 2015, 06:34:54 PM »
Friday night all you can eat fish fry.

Mmm that sounds good.....love good fish fry!

Those (all you can eat - when good food mind you) remind me of a time a buddy and I walked into a Chinese restaurant that had a "all you can eat buffet" (both my buddy and I are good sized guys and can put away the food) he turned to me and said "they need a sign that flashes "house loses" when we walk in" haha.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 20, 2015, 04:57:32 PM »
Tomato Basil chicken breast and white rice.

And I ate it at my new dining room table. So I guess no more eating at the kitchen counter or on the couch in the living room and using the coffee table..
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:58:28 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 20, 2015, 07:46:12 PM »
homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade turkey stock from yesterdays 2 smoked turkeys.

your getting civilized now bobby with a dining room table, next thing is youll tell us that you got yourself a wife.............;D

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 21, 2015, 03:45:30 AM »
homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade turkey stock from yesterdays 2 smoked turkeys.

your getting civilized now bobby with a dining room table, next thing is youll tell us that you got yourself a wife.............;D

Whoa skipping some steps there!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 21, 2015, 06:55:01 AM »

Mail Order Bobby! 
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: December 21, 2015, 09:26:12 AM »

Mail Order Bobby!

I'm not that hard up.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 21, 2015, 09:50:37 AM »
I would have thought that idea is crazy...mail order brides that is

But this friend of mine, a captain at Comair back when they were all the rage. Well, he tries this "Meet your wife" thing with "Russian Girls"

He meets one who he really likes, and using the fly-free pilot thing goes over and meets her. And they really fall in love! Turns out she is a Neurosurgeon and could be a cover girl model if the brain surgery thing didn't work out!

After some slight of the hands and testing and certification, she is plugged in slicing and dicing on American gray matter in the Cincy making hundreds of thousands a year and of course they marry, start having kids, and it is well like winning the voice for him.

Russian women are much different in mindset than American women are. They are not so demanding and cover down hard on their families. I'm sure some are wackos, but this lady was the catch of the century!

I knew a bunch of Russian women in Kandahar, Kabul, and some other spots over there. They were all smart, articulate, pretty, and I never saw them dating anyone. THey stayed in their compound or worked at the barber shop or wherever they worked at.

BlackWater hired a bunch of them in Jordan. Part of the briefing you'd get when arriving there would be something like "Hands off the girls, they all have boyfriends downrange, our guys...

Now in the Fox News balance spirit, my wife and I suspect a lot of the ladies on here are also the catch's of a lifetime for us. Mine is so darned pretty, I still have to slap myself every once in awhile to make sure it isn't a dream...

So, Bobbee...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.
Take the appropriate action, Execute!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 21, 2015, 10:28:44 AM »
So, Bobbee...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!

WOW............that just may have to be a quote.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 21, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »
so tonight I am going to make some sort of a hamburger/brat type thing.  and we are going to have a black eyed pea/vegi type salad to go with.  ill post plated pics later this evening.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:57:38 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 21, 2015, 04:08:56 PM »
so tonight I am going to make some sort of a hamburger/brat type thing.  and we are going to have a black eyed pea/vegi type salad to go with.  ill post plated pics later this evening.

Hey if you want burgers but only have brat/hot dog buns, you make it work. That's my motto.

For dinner it was a garlic and herb chicken breast and white rice. Sadly I'm out of Sriracha sauce..
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 04:21:49 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 21, 2015, 04:31:53 PM »
that is almost sacrilegious bobby..........;D

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 21, 2015, 04:49:13 PM »
that is almost sacrilegious bobby..........;D

I know. If I could find it around here I'd buy the 8.5 lb bottle. Yea apparently they make one that large!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 21, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »
they turned out very delicious!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 21, 2015, 11:12:20 PM »
You know, he said he is not hard up but there always the dog in the picture with him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But I can see how online stuff would work. Heck we have all hung out in a bar, hoping. Meeting anything you can but trying to find ms right??

We can't all be as lucky as some of you DOTs here. Don, HC, Norm and sure a few others.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 22, 2015, 03:20:32 AM »
You know, he said he is not hard up but there always the dog in the picture with him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm not a fan of my picture being taken generally. Plus ladies love Bear.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 25, 2015, 07:36:23 PM »
So my parents made the normal turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing and rolls for the meal. I went up early and made this:

http://midwestcouponclippers.net/easy-crock-pot-mac-cheese-recipe/

Only thing I changed was I added MAYBE 1/2 cup extra milk and 2 cups (?) extra of shredded cheese, and I used Rotini noodles, cause their obviously more festive than regular noodles, or maybe that's the first box I saw in my cupboard?? Dad and I topped ours with Sriracha, it was quite tasty.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 07:37:27 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
whats for dinner tonight
« Reply #536 on: December 26, 2015, 02:11:04 AM »
But I can see how online stuff would work. Heck we have all hung out in a bar, hoping. Meeting anything you can but trying to find ms right??

Online dating doesn't have the stigma it used to. I know tons of people who have found their spouse on some sort of online dating service. Especially professionals and others who really aren't into the bar scene.

Sorry, back on topic...

Sweedish meatballs, sweedish beans, and mashed spuds for traditional Christmas dinner with my wife's family. Mm mmm good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:11:55 AM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 27, 2015, 05:18:38 PM »
Cheddar and bacon burgers, topped with swiss cheese, and a pickle spear and homestyle baked beans on the side.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 05:19:19 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 03, 2016, 08:22:46 PM »
true boneless chicken wings with some steak, baked potato and green beans.  the steak and chicken wings were done on the UDS hot and fast.

here is how you debone a chicken wing

https://youtu.be/aYC9en26Hm8

and here is the outcome

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 10, 2016, 10:52:58 PM »
I made supper tonight. Stuffed turkey cutlets with smoked cheddar, basil, prosciutto, and roasted red peppers, and sautéed green beans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: January 23, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »
well, RN is having some wings and tracey and I are having some chicken fried rice. 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 23, 2016, 09:47:06 PM »
the trick I finally learned about getting non mushy/sticky icky fried rice:  make the rice the night before or make darned sure it has plenty of time in the fridge to fully cool and dry out some (you will add moisture back in during the cooking process).

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 23, 2016, 10:30:17 PM »
Looks good Nate. Is that the frozen veggies in a bag?  I use those as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 23, 2016, 10:44:52 PM »
yeah those were the frozen stir fry mix, hard to beat the $1.50 a bag price.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 25, 2016, 11:51:04 AM »
Had a hankerin' for some spaghetti. Did a batch of my scratch made family recipe last night.

1 lb italian sausage (spicy if you like), browned and drained. or hamburger, or shredded pork roast, or or or... doesn't matter
1 stick carrot diced
1 stick celery diced
1 sweet onion diced
1 large can tomato sauce
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
about a cup of red table wine
2 bay leaves
about 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
about 2 tablespoons salt and pepper each
2 heaping tablesspoons of minced garlic, or about 7-8 cloves if you use fresh

start by browning off the meat, once about half done, drain off the grease, and add in the holy trinity (carrot, celery, onion), finish saute. Once soft, add wine. Saute a few more mins, then add all of the cans and spices. saute for as long as you have! minimum 1 hr. 6 would be fine too :D

all of the seasonings are approximate, and to taste. i just sample with a spoon as it simmers and add as necessary

NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 25, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »
yum!

do you add the tomato paste during your sauté process or no?  I have found that if you add tomato paste during the sauté process and then deglaze, you will get a deeper richer tomato flavor.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 25, 2016, 01:41:35 PM »
yum!

do you add the tomato paste during your sauté process or no?  I have found that if you add tomato paste during the sauté process and then deglaze, you will get a deeper richer tomato flavor.

At the tail end of the saute, yes. I add it and get it spread around, then add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes last
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 25, 2016, 04:28:46 PM »
looks very similar to what I do with mine. I like a Tblsp of balsamic vinegar with the wine and add after the tomato paste to deglaze. if the sausage doesn't already have fennel, i'll toast some fennel seeds before starting everything else then add them back in during the stewing process. Now that I've officially hijacked your post, I'm seriously jealous right now. the wife and I are back on our diets to loose the holiday flab and I'm hangry.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 25, 2016, 04:46:41 PM »
10-4, same here. However, yesterday i just really was craving some red sauce... Nothin like walking in the house and smelling the simmering sauce...
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 25, 2016, 06:19:41 PM »
I hate you...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal