Hello Guest

Author Topic: sliced turkey sandwich meat  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
sliced turkey sandwich meat
« on: April 04, 2015, 04:29:55 PM »
figured I would put my slicer to work today and do up some turkey breast sandwich meat.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: sliced turkey sandwich meat
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »
I've been looking at getting one of those.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:50:19 PM »
Looks nice.  How does it slice? How thin can you go with it?

I've been looking at one not only for the Venison Summer Sausage but also for slicing Chicago-Style, Italian roast beef for sandwiches.  You just can't get Italian beef sandwiches around here...     

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 11:40:24 PM »
Looks good as always Nate.

I'm also in the market. Which model is that, how thin and how thick.
If you were to do it again, bigger (providing there is) or smaller?
How's the power, will it slice cheese?

Thanks.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 06:27:12 PM »
This is really not a bad slicer for the little that I use it, the biggest reason I have this model is because I found it on sale (Christmas special and military discount) for $200 (originally $350-$380) at Cabela’s during Christmas when I was in NE.  It is a 10" with a 250-400 watt motor (not sure what HP that is).  It can cut up to almost an inch thick (25mm / 0.98"), and you can slice some very thin meat with this.  Cheese and really thick cuts of meat are a bit tough to do on this machine because of the limited space on the back side of the blade.  It also comes with a sharpener and a nice cloth cover.

Now here comes the honesty part.  Being in the military, I really don't get paid a whole lot, and I really hate to waste my money on something that will break / poor craftsmanship and then have to buy it again.  I would rather take the sting of the initial sticker shock of a quality piece of equipment. 

So in saying that, a question was asked on whether I would buy this piece of equipment again?  The answer would be NO without a doubt.  Don’t get me wrong, Cabela’s sells some quality stuff that is rebranded with their name on it as well as a great return policy.  But the true fact of the matter is that if I could have found a new/used HOBART that was in great shape and at a good price then I would have jumped all over it. 

Why HOBART you ask?!  If you look at any deli department or butcher shop you will see a HOBART slicer in there, and it’s probably a safe bet that that piece of equipment has been there for probably 10 years.  It is made of true metal, the quality is evident in the craftsmanship, and the reliability for everyday use is unmatched by anything on the market.

So to sum this up, this is a great slicer for a beginner and the occasional use.  I will hang onto this one until it can’t handle simple jobs anymore and then I will bite the bullet and get a HOBART model.  Below are a few links so you can see what HOBARTS cost new and used as well as some of the reviews for both the Cabela’s brand and the HOBART’s.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hobart+meat+slicer+price

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=meat+slicer&x=10&y=6&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=used+hobart+meat+slicer&_sacat=0

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hobart+meat+slicer+reviews
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 06:37:18 PM »
Have you smoked turkey or ham or whatnot then sliced it?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »
not smoked, but tracey did a roast then I sliced it up for some roast beef.  it worked alright, just had to make sure it was really cold (almost frozen) before I sliced it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 09:43:19 PM »
Nate, somethings are worth buying used because for 20 years you can buy parts reliably for it.  Are parts for used/older hobarts still available?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 02:11:50 PM »
parts are available tex, because they haven't changed their design all that much.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal