Hello Guest

Author Topic: Ol’ SARGE aka BIG RED thread  (Read 122681 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: The "Big Red" Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »
My bad, I thought they were hiking shoes with bright white stripes runnin vertical. :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2015, 03:29:37 PM »
What's up with mandals?

Manley lookin things they are

Why I just heard some ladies comment:

Who's that manly man in those Oakleys and Mandals!

On the Kobelco, I am talking with a very knowledgeable man. Sold and serviced Kobelco, cat and case amongst other over the years. He explained why Kobelco didn't have parts for awhile...It was because Case had just bought them and there was an issue with that, then Kobelco had to move to Texas and start up new and come up with all the parts again.

Now they are up to speed. But for me, that machine was built in the USA and that is important to me. The Case and the Cat I have been looking at are built overseas. Maybe a small point.
And with this machine, it has been 25 miles from the selling dealership it's whole life. THe guys only about 3-4 who ran it are right here, and I talked to one. He said it is older but a hard working machine. He purchased a new slightly larger machine and he told me he already misses the 200 because of that hydraulic thumb. When I asked him how he felt about putting it to work on a farm, without skipping a beat he said it would last forever.

Larry, who fixed Big Red feels the same way, good machine, will outlast me!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2015, 06:47:32 PM »
so if I buy it, it will be right at home next to BR

You don't need to armor up the Farm like you're protecting the Fulda Gap there Chief...

You and  few others will probably get that.. nice and subtle.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »
so if I buy it, it will be right at home next to BR

You don't need to armor up the Farm like you're protecting the Fulda Gap there Chief...

You and  few others will probably get that.. nice and subtle.

Bobby,

You ever visited or see the Fulda gap from the cold war days?

Back when I was an aeroscout pilot for the 3rd I.D., the 11th ACR covered the Fulda Gap area. I've been up there in my trusty jet ranger a time or two. Beautiful country!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2015, 11:04:43 AM »

Bobby,

You ever visited or see the Fulda gap from the cold war days?

Back when I was an aeroscout pilot for the 3rd I.D., the 11th ACR covered the Fulda Gap area. I've been up there in my trusty jet ranger a time or two. Beautiful country!

Honestly, I can't remember if I ever did or not.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:08:25 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »
Good looking machine there. Don't think I've ever seen this many pics of Don unless you count his book.

Maybe for the asking price they can get all those little items cleaned up, and wake up Rip.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2015, 02:40:54 PM »
Good looking machine there. Don't think I've ever seen this many pics of Don unless you count his book.

Maybe for the asking price they can get all those little items cleaned up, and wake up Rip.
The pre-ranger was snapping the pics. So he was snapping them of his dad...go figure

I'll start the purchase conversation tomorrow, see where all that leads. But with a machine like that, all things will be possible on that "Farm"

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »
A big loader with a thumb has to be about one of the most valuable pieces of equipment out there, especially with all those trees on your property.

Saw a video of a guy the other day using his loader to cut firewood. Literally just picked up a log a few feed off the ground, and chunked it up into rounds without even having to bend over... YES PLEASE!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
A big loader with a thumb has to be about one of the most valuable pieces of equipment out there, especially with all those trees on your property.

Saw a video of a guy the other day using his loader to cut firewood. Literally just picked up a log a few feed off the ground, and chunked it up into rounds without even having to bend over... YES PLEASE!

Loader or excavator?

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2015, 06:10:07 PM »
Excavator, not loader, sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:20:21 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
Thought so!

I was looking at the specs on that machine. It has 55,000 lbs of draw-bar force, the rotation torque of the boom is 57,000 lbs. Fifty seven thousand pounds of torque!

Has a 5.9 Cummins, 97 gallons of fuel, 160 gallons of hydraulic oil, moves along at 3.7mph and is just pretty powerful.

Ever seen someone put in a fence row with one?
One guy holds the post...The excavator operator positions the bucket over the post and simply pushes it into the ground the correct depth...Done!

Logging? Cut the log out of the tree you just dropped and just pick it up and carry it off

Digging? This one can scratch a vertical wall 31 feet high or dig a hole 22 feet deep!

Talk about pole barn building? Here's your crane!

Some neat tricks I've seen/heard about:

Find a paper wasps nest. Use excavator to pull branch with nest off of tree. Place branch in back of pickup truck of a friend or someone who is not your friend ;-)

Place really big rocks or stumps on either end of someone's car

Dig all the ground out around someone's car and leave them perched on a pedestal 6 feet high!

Dig a big hole in a farm road just where the trees close in on either side. Do this when the offending person is out in the field working...then leave

If you are the wife of someone who has wronged you (Husband who cheated on her) use excavator to drive over top of his truck

Park anywhere you wish to create a temporary road block...like to block your neighbors driveway...the one who constantly complains over everything you do...that sort of neighbor

I could see them successfully employed in tearing down mosques

And in the same vein, used to clear out waste treatment plant, sediment ponds!

I've heard of them used to fill up a convertible owned by the lawyer who represented the ex in court where someone got burned

If you suspect the haji who lives down the street has a car bomb inside his 1991 BMW745, use the excavator to remove the roof panel to ensure everyone's safety!

They can also be used for general construction and digging of ponds!

Lots of useful and creative possibilities with such a machine
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:56:44 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2015, 07:21:14 PM »
And of course you'd paint it OD Green too....
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2015, 10:20:23 PM »
And of course you'd paint it OD Green too....
All machinery should be one of the selected mil colors, but since OD green is the nicest, yes, I'd select that!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2015, 06:39:23 PM »
Socks and mandals are 100% PNW garb, and we can't have Don rocking those!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2015, 11:28:21 PM »
and that my brother is why all you washingtonites are special............;D

don't worry, if things work out I will be just south of you in the only other state that has worse drivers than WA.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2015, 12:00:10 AM »
Oh man... Oregonian drivers are the WORST
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2015, 01:14:55 AM »
Until you see the kali people drive in the snow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2015, 09:16:45 AM »
I am sure that is true jr, but oregon drivers are just straight purly retarded and are just above washington drivers on the retarded scale.  Now i am not saying that there are not good people and good drivers in both of those states, but the vast majority (99%) are what make it so bad.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »
The older Deere machines were/are made here in the USA....  Would appear that they will be expanding their facilities over seas to fill that demand, but will continue to keep building machines here locally in the USA...

https://www.deere.com/en_US/industry/construction/learn_more/factory_information.page

CAT is so big, they manufacture their machines in the US, as well as other factories around the world. 

You have to keep in mind that CAT and Deere are WORLDWIDE companies.  So, they manufacture the machines in other parts of the world, to better service those areas of the world.  But, they also manufacture machines here in the USA, to serve locally for buyers here in the US...

Honestly, that is not a bad buy for that size Kobelco.  Especially for a machine that will stay on the farm.  Me personally, I would not get it.  But that's just me.  You have your money, and you are welcome to spend it on anything that Don see's fit!  If you feel confident in the machine, then by all means, go ahead and purchase it.  It could serve you the rest of your life and then some and never miss a beat.  It's all a gamble anyway.  I've seen a brand new piece of equipment malfunction on day one.  An old machine can malfunction at anytime, just like a brand new one. 

We run those size machines, and bigger in our line of work Don.  That size machine is the norm.  The hydraulic thumb is also nice.  We run those on our machines as well.  One note though, be very observant if you grab a tree, a big tree, by one end, and try to swing it around.  It will rip the thumb off.  Seen it happen more than once.  Just by observing the laws of physics, when you grab a very large, top heavy object by one end, and try to swing it, the forces applied at the welds on a machine that is perpendicular with that extremely large object, are astounding...  Basically, grabbing it and moving parallel with the object is safe.  Moving perpendicular, is risky...

Good luck!

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2015, 11:46:50 AM »
Here is a line up of equipment on our last big pond job...

Those trackhoes are as big and bigger than what you looked at.  Those Dozers are even bigger...

The off road dump trucks have 30 yard beds, and weigh about 88k lbs, empty...  Full 6wd...

The tractor on the end is running tracks, has 450hp CAT motor, and pulls a 21 yard pan behind it...

Lots of man stuff going on in that pic, lol...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:48:25 AM by Armalite »

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Also, on the pond building, you have to know what you're doing, or you could waste a lot of time and money on fuel, and not accomplish a simple "hole that holds water"...

Have to check drainage in surrounding areas, check for springs, make sure you can core out for the dam, make sure you don't hit any water tables or springs!  Contrary to everyones thinking, a spring/water table is the WORST thing you can hit when digging your pond.  Reason is, when you dam up the pond, and it begins to build up with water, the head pressure of the volume of water pushing back against the water table/spring, can actually prevent your pond from filling up.  It will get enough weight that it will push water back into the table/spring, instead of the opposite...  Pond will only fill up to that point, then no more...  Seen it happen, built one like that, landowner didn't care.  It could drop 8" of rain in 5 hours, and his pond would not get with in 2' of his spillway.  Would not happen. 

So, make sure you get someone out there that knows what they are doing, to advise you as you go along...

Practice and experience make perfect, so learn from people that have been there, done that...   8)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2015, 11:59:50 AM »
Ash,

Thanks for the feedback
I am moving forward with the purchase, but haven't paid for it yet.
The guys at Southeastern are being great with me. They understand how badly I got hurt with the first Big-Red repair.
Speaking with Jerry, the salesman, we talked about a fluid change of everything except for hydraulics, and filters, a total steam cleaning, a new seat, a general work off of things that should get fixed. He wants to put another bucket on it as the wobble I found there is not due to missing bushings, it has the wrong size pins. He was searching the company for a 42"-45" bucket when last we talked.
The big thing turned out to be in the propel system
When I "Drove" it I noticed it pulling to one side a little bit. I was thinking it needed a bit of adjustment to the levers. While I was talking to Jerry, Richard, the mechanic who has been fixing Big Red said he thought they should put a new drive motor in one side of the track system.

Jerry was working the numbers to give me the best possible price, and none of them want that machine to leave there with any significant problems.

So I'll be in the 20's for a 150HP Cummins powered machine with a great undercarriage. I estimate 200 hours a year for a couple years, then probably a forth of that. I mean, it is so big, it will get a lot of work done pretty efficiently and quicker that grubbing around with big red. And now Red will compliment it well with more of a "Pushing" role than an out and out digging role.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2015, 12:02:03 PM »
Here is a line up of equipment on our last big pond job...

Those trackhoes are as big and bigger than what you looked at.  Those Dozers are even bigger...

The off road dump trucks have 30 yard beds, and weigh about 88k lbs, empty...  Full 6wd...

The tractor on the end is running tracks, has 450hp CAT motor, and pulls a 21 yard pan behind it...

Lots of man stuff going on in that pic, lol...

Big boy toys  ;D
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
Also, on the pond building, you have to know what you're doing, or you could waste a lot of time and money on fuel, and not accomplish a simple "hole that holds water"...

Have to check drainage in surrounding areas, check for springs, make sure you can core out for the dam, make sure you don't hit any water tables or springs!  Contrary to everyones thinking, a spring/water table is the WORST thing you can hit when digging your pond.  Reason is, when you dam up the pond, and it begins to build up with water, the head pressure of the volume of water pushing back against the water table/spring, can actually prevent your pond from filling up.  It will get enough weight that it will push water back into the table/spring, instead of the opposite...  Pond will only fill up to that point, then no more...  Seen it happen, built one like that, landowner didn't care.  It could drop 8" of rain in 5 hours, and his pond would not get with in 2' of his spillway.  Would not happen. 

So, make sure you get someone out there that knows what they are doing, to advise you as you go along...

Practice and experience make perfect, so learn from people that have been there, done that...   8)

I hear ya

Built a pond in Tennessee that leaked!

Would hold maybe 6 feet of water out of a 20' hole.

My pastor a Texas man, got ahold of me right away. HE said let him to get his buddy, a guy like you to advise or even put in the pond for me...How cool is that?

I do have a spring fed pond, but this is how I plan to manage that:

The bigger pond site will surround the existing pond but at a lower level. The pond is on a slope, so I'll go down slope and pull out the dirt and build in the dam and set all that maybe 6 feet lower than the existing pond. Then I'll break the dam and flood the water (Not much) into the lower pond, the muck out the existing one. The new pond site will drain a lot of the ridgeline which has a road running down the center, a sunken road. Rains currently run into that road, then down and into a gulley. I plan to reroute all that to empty through a twisty into the new pond.

I also plan to track in 6"-1 foot of clay which I expect to find in the hole excavation

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »
Sounds good.  A spring fed pond is great.  As long as you don't build the pond over and above the spring!  A few feet is fine, but don't put the spring in the bottom of the pond...   :o

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2015, 12:24:02 PM »
Well, just now I got a call from the dealer.

They have determined it is a drive motor and it likely has metal chips throughout the system that didn't get trapped in a filter, so they no longer want to sell it to me!

Jerry asked me to let him search around for another machine in the 160-210 class, so I guess I'm back to just Big Red!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »
You already know, it is a lot better to find out before using the pen.  There are plenty out there.  You'll find the one you are supposed to have in God's time.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2015, 12:35:16 PM »
You already know, it is a lot better to find out before using the pen.  There are plenty out there.  You'll find the one you are supposed to have in God's time.
That's a fact!

I prayed over this.

If God wished me to have it, then he would make it possible, and if not to put a block in the way

I believe he has spoken!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »
Being back to just Big Red is not such a bad place to be.  It is ready now.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
Being back to just Big Red is not such a bad place to be.  It is ready now.
Almost ready!

Working on a pesky oil leak, but not a big deal...just time

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2015, 01:04:19 PM »
Like Nate said earlier, get it exercising and it'll be ok.  Just like a tank, helicopter or boat, they are made to work not sit.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2015, 05:13:08 PM »
Those drive motors are a common issue with older machines. As you found out if it aint tracking straight running at full speed they are likely the issue. When you get one it will quickly become the most used machine on the farm. Pretty easy to run efficiently if you have experience pulling levers to make things happen, as you do. The way I was taught was to look at the boom as your arm, 3 joints, and the bucket as your hand. Fun to run once you figure out the controls.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2015, 06:21:52 PM »
Those drive motors are a common issue with older machines. As you found out if it aint tracking straight running at full speed they are likely the issue. When you get one it will quickly become the most used machine on the farm. Pretty easy to run efficiently if you have experience pulling levers to make things happen, as you do. The way I was taught was to look at the boom as your arm, 3 joints, and the bucket as your hand. Fun to run once you figure out the controls.
I'm learning every day
I thought I had the machine. At only 28K I could have afforded it handily.
But that drive motor costs $11,000! Now with a new drive motor I would have been OK except for Richard waving me off in telling them they didn't need to sell me that unit. Well, I trust him, and Larry and really, everyone there for that matter, and I think they did this to protect me.

I am disappointed though. I was thinking within a week, I could muck out the pond and demo the house there and have a heck of a lot of fun building my dream down there.

I really liked that Case CX-160 but without it being a dealership, I couldn't find financing. Commercial financing is difficult to say the least. They want to see balance sheets and all that and I just started the "Farm." Other than that, the pretty Case would have been a keeper.

Just in a short time of grubbing around I was getting the hang of running that thing. I owned a couple back-hoes in the past and I'd say, I got on top of those things in a day or so.

Well, I'm pretty good with a loader so we'll see what I can do with big red if no track hoe comes my way

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2015, 08:31:20 PM »
Keep an eye on Iron Planet.  Lots of stuff comes up there for auction
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2015, 12:21:11 AM »
Good dealers are hard to come by. If you have one that is taking care of you stick with them. We have a great kubota dealer close by that we deal with a lot. Been looking for a good used mini ex for a year or so. They knew it and we got the call as soon as they got a kx 91 in on trade. We were there when they unloaded it and brought in their shop. 2 yrs old, 250 hrs and not a mark on it. Must have been used to install a couple truck swallowing pits at the mall and that's it. Anyway, bout 20 after they got it in paperwork was signed. Got it for about 2/3 new cost.
Pecked all that out to say be patient. The right machine will there be yours in God's time.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2015, 09:02:17 AM »
Good dealers are hard to come by. If you have one that is taking care of you stick with them. We have a great kubota dealer close by that we deal with a lot. Been looking for a good used mini ex for a year or so. They knew it and we got the call as soon as they got a kx 91 in on trade. We were there when they unloaded it and brought in their shop. 2 yrs old, 250 hrs and not a mark on it. Must have been used to install a couple truck swallowing pits at the mall and that's it. Anyway, bout 20 after they got it in paperwork was signed. Got it for about 2/3 new cost.
Pecked all that out to say be patient. The right machine will there be yours in God's time.
Patience...You're talking about patience

Did I ever tell you about patience and a squirrel?  LOL

Thanks

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2015, 09:00:36 PM »
Did that thing float on to your property, or has it always been there. :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »
Did that thing float on to your property, or has it always been there. :)

At least since the Triassic period!

OldKooT

« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2015, 11:43:50 AM »
I can't say for sure how that dozer got there, or how it got to be pink...but that right there is some yard art LoL

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2015, 12:31:06 PM »
it's not as old as you would think.  Still running hydraulic lift arms for raising/lowering blade.  When you see the ones that used hydraulic cable winches to raise the blade, then you're getting somewhere.... 

It's a thing of beauty imo....  8)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:30:44 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2015, 03:53:37 PM »
Looks like home made roll bar too.

That picture is huge!!!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2015, 10:46:26 PM »
Did the leak get fixed?  At the farm yet? Anxious to see you get the demo going.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2015, 08:47:59 AM »
Did the leak get fixed?  At the farm yet? Anxious to see you get the demo going.
Matt,
I don't think it is done.
Larry gets it in when he can, and I haven't checked in a couple weeks. Good reminder, though, I'll give him a shout out

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »
Any news on BR?
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2015, 01:03:46 PM »
You must be plugged into "The Force" or something

Yep, Big red came back into the shop yesterday or early today for the final repair of a pesky leak

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2015, 02:20:24 PM »
Hey Don back when I was logging and we were clearing house lots a lot of times we needed to cut down trees as well as remove the stumps. We had a job that had a ton of huge white pines (some 30" in diameter and more). Well all we had was a Cat skidder so we would use the blade and dig out one side of the root ball with the skidder's (very small) blade. Then we would winch over the tree. Then the first cut of the now prone tree would leave the butt log on the stump (so up 12, 14 or 16 feet depending on the tree). Hitch the choker to the top of the butt log and drive the skidder in a circle, the stump would just spin right up out of the hole. Then we cut off the butt log and the stump was free and clear to be pushed away. I mention that because you might be able to do that with BR. Cedars mostly have similar shallow root systems like white pines.

I have a funny Fulda Gap story from my Dad about his time in Germany during Korea. Not to go all DOT on ya here but rather than start a new thread I'll throw it in. Dad was a Russian Interpreter then and in Psy Warfare. His outfit used all sorts of ways of communicating things to areas including loudspeakers. Well one time he was out on a hill overlooking a village that was near the Fulda Gap (not sure where exactly but in was near there). His job was to observe while another guy in his unit was on another hill across from him and was broadcasting over the loudspeakers down to the village. So my Dad could hear something being broadcast but not exactly what was being said. So he and his partner are looking at the village through bino's and all of a sudden they see people running out of every door in the village, throwing bags and suitcases in cars, jumping on bikes etc and skidaddling out of town as fast as possible. Turns out the guy broadcasting from the other hill (who was a Jewish guy and had little love for the Germans) decided to have some fun. His broadcast message was that Russian armor had crossed the East German line and the town just to the east of them had already fallen etc. etc. Seems his loudspeaker's worked just fine. The guy got in some hot water for that little prank. Ha. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2015, 10:38:59 PM »
Sweet!
Love it!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2015, 05:41:40 PM »
Big Red is officially, Mechanically done. Larry the manager and Richard, a highly skilled heavy equipment have run the leaks down. Richard replaced a rubber O-ring which fixed Red, and he put it all back together.
Larry is going to let me clean it all back off and paint Red just outside the shop. So, I am at decision time about the paint selection.

Down at the NSRA show last week, I checked out this coating from KBS Products. A super tough paint of sorts:
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/stop-rust-paints.html
Which goes right on over the top of rust. So that would work for some of the Crawler, but most of it is pretty well covered with ugly paint. Well the stuff goes over paint as well, but is not UV tolerant

For things that sit out in the sun, a top-coat is required and they have this:
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Maxx.html

But that stuff is around $170ish a gallon!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »
what is going to hold up to the abuse that big red will see......?

don't jinx her by saying she is "mechanically done", have you touched her and drove her around the yard yet......?

in all honesty this is great news, and what has been the thought/discussion/ponderin about having some sort of bench stock on hand for future repairs (considering the parts for this are getting harder and harder to find)?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2015, 06:22:10 PM »
But the paint From KBS Coatings does not come in olive drab. The only color that would work would be the "Cat Yellow" which you see on all the Caterpillar heavy equipment.

That isn't what I planned for Big Red, color wise.

I was going to make it OD Green same as Square D and use the much, much less expensive Gillespie paint made in Texas @ $39 a gallon. I figure I throw some hardener in there and call it a day. Apply that over some sealer on the big old dog and it would have a half decent paint job.

So what's a Crawler-Loader owner to do? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal