Hello Guest

Author Topic: Whats Next...  (Read 23024 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Whats Next...
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »
Yowsa!
Sold it...fun while you had it I guess huh?
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2017, 01:25:05 PM »
Yowsa!
Sold it...fun while you had it I guess huh?

It was.  Had it almost 2 years.  Only took it out a handful of times.  Just to cruise to town, or to church.  That was about it.  Never raced it. 

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2017, 01:31:55 PM »
Well, on April 2, my oldest daughters birthday, we came home after church.  I decided to grill burgers for lunch, but the weather was pretty bad, so I did them inside in the oven.  About the time they came out of the oven, everything outside went white, the front doors to the house were blown open and slammed into the walls, and things went south from there pretty quick.  Alex and I were trying to push the two French doors closed against the wind, and we couldn't.  I was watching all the shingles on my carport being lifted straight up into the air.  I quickly determined this was not good, and about the time I said the heck with the doors, and I went to grab the girls who were watching everything unfold, and rush them into the closet, when everything just stopped.  Got dead still.  Well, wife and I ran around cleaning up water from inside the house, getting everyone calmed down, and walked outside to observe the following....

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2017, 01:38:10 PM »
A tornado decided to sit down in my pasture, not go anywhere, just wreck out all my stuff, then lift back up and move on.  I was the only person to sustain damage.  Took out 30'x60' of my shop, took out my horse barn, took some shingles off the house, damaged the hot rod, and damaged my rv...  Oh well.  Life happens, I have great insurance, so everything will be taken care of. 

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
Well, on May 3, we braced ourselves for more damaging thunderstorms.  I was just leaving the office, wife and kids had gotten out of school and ran to town.  I get a call from my neighbor saying things got really bad, and he thinks I lost the rest of my shop.  I get up with wife, they are in town, locked in bathrooms at local store because all the sirens in town are going off for tornados.  I head home, and ran into the storm.  I pulled over on the side of the road and waited it out.  Didn't seem too bad to me.  Once I got a few miles up the road, the damage told a different story.  Trees were down everywhere.  On houses, vehicles, everything.  I met my wife at our County Road, because all the roads were mostly blocked off from trees and debris.  They hopped in the truck with me, and we maneuvered our way through locations, lease roads, and around trees to finally get to our house.  Well, of course, this is what we witnessed...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2017, 01:45:15 PM »
This time, it was a confirmed EF-1 tornado.  Started about 2 miles west of me, came right through us, and went for another 6 miles to the east.  8 mile track of damage, 3500 yards wide.  Winds up to 110 mph I believe.  It took off the rest of my shop.  Took out about 1/4 of my shingles on the house, and I lost about 6 big trees on my place.  After about a week, I had everything cleaned up, and they began rebuilding.  So, as of today, my shop is back like new, new roof on the house, fences are back, new horse barn is up and installed, and they will finish up on my carport next week at some point... 

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2017, 01:48:33 PM »
Well, prior to all of this happening, I purchased the rv back in June of 2016, and moved to Carlsbad, NM.  We picked up a ton of work in a new field out that way, so I had to move out there.  I came home every 2-3 weeks for 5 days, then went back.  It was somewhat fun, new, and a lot of experience was gained on my end.  Got to see a different part of the world and work in a very different environment.  I moved back home mid January of 2017 because we were finally picking up more work back in east texas.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2017, 02:05:47 PM »
Quite the storms! Scary stuff when it's in your front porch.

You've been busy by the sounds of things too...
Glad y'all made it through the storms in one piece.
Material things can be replaced and fixed.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2017, 02:19:43 PM »
Ill get some photos posted up in a bit.  Have a training to attend for now...

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
Wow, glad you and your family are ok.

Isn't that like getting struck by lightening 2 times? I think someone is trying to tell you something!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »
Back to a few more pics of that saddest place on earth....

That's me giving the two thumbs up after bending some pipe...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2017, 05:57:10 PM »
Few more pipeline pics....

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2017, 05:58:33 PM »
and so forth...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »
Little snow...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »
A few lines going in here...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »
a little breezy....

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »
DAMN!

about the time that you arrived in Carlsbad (roughly 70 miles from where I was in el paso) I was getting settled and uprooted/major life change (again) in lacey, wa.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2017, 07:12:26 AM »
Wow Ash.  That's a lot of drama.  Glad eveyone is OK. 
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2017, 08:33:25 AM »
Glad all is well Ash - reminds me of the scene from World According to Garp, when Robin Williams declares "we'll take it!" to the Realty Agent after a plane crashes into the home.  Kinda think the place is accident proofed now for you and your family!  Glad that nobody was injured!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2017, 09:27:12 AM »
Dang that's scary. I'm glad everyone is okay. Tornados scare me.

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2017, 07:43:04 AM »
Thanks men, I appreciate the concern.  Definitely wasn't a fun experience. 

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2017, 08:18:58 AM »
Now let me get honest...

Before I left my family for work and spent 8 months in New Mexico, I was fairly grounded.  Money has never been anything more than an object to me.  Never has bothered me whether I had it or not.  Before going off to work, I always wanted more though.  More money to invest in this, or buy that toy, or buy my kids this, or buy that for the house and so forth...  It never stopped.  It wasn't until my family was removed from my daily life that I got a reality check.  After a few months, I didn't care if I even had a job.  All I wanted was to see my kids every day, to hug my wife every day.  That was no longer an option for me.  Moving off put my life back in check.  I realized what was more important and what I made time for mattered.  I missed out on 8 months of my kids lives and I can not get that back no matter what. 

Money was no longer important, stuff was no longer important to me.  All I cared about was TIME, and spending that time with the people that mattered the most to me. 

As some of you know, and most probably don't, I co-own two different companies.  The major company is our oilfield construction company.  The other is a smaller rental and investment company.  I have been a co-owner for over 7 years now in these two businesses.  It has been stressful.  It has also been fun and extremely rewarding.  But it also has its downsides.  I feel responsible for all my employees, and when we don't have any work going, I stress about them and taking care of them.  With that being said, I wouldn't trade anything for the last 7 years plus of experience and knowledge that I've gained. 

In September of 2016, I realized I wanted to be a part of my families life.  I started praying that somehow, God would provide me a way out.  I didn't have a clue how I would happen, even figured it to be pretty much impossible, but I prayed anyway.  I just wanted a job back home, that would support us.  I quit making stupid purchases like toys and trucks and other stuff that is simply a waste of money.  Even after I came home for good in January, I still continued to pray that same prayer to God.  Well, on a Tuesday morning, in April, I received a phone call.  One of my closest mentors is the head boss over a gas field here at home.  He handles all of east texas.  Their construction manager was retiring, and he asked me if I would be interested in taking that position.  I was blown away.  This kind of offer never happens.  They always move someone internally up, not bring in an "outsider".  Now I have laid pipelines for this company for the last 8-10 years, so they know me pretty well.  He believed this position would be the perfect fit for me, and for them. 

So, after we met that evening and spent a couple hours discussing it, I decided that was the job I have been wanting.  The office is 10 min from my house, and I will be home every night.  Obviously this new job comes with a pay cut, but, it has great benefits.  I sold out my ownership of both of my other companies to the other partners and will be starting this new job in a few weeks. 

The same week that I got the call and was offered this position, the wife and I found a nice piece of land with a simple shop house built on it.  We have been looking for 3 years for land to build a shop house on, and 3 days after I was offered that job, we found the perfect place we have been looking for, with a shop house already on it, and I put a contract on it. 

So, over the past two months, I've been hit with two tornadoes, had to get most everything rebuilt at the current property, I'm selling out of the two businesses I own, starting a new job, found the perfect place we have been searching for the past 3 years, put a contract on it and will be closing on it next week, I have listed my current property with a realtor, sold the hot rod, sold my boat, and just seeing where God takes me from here. 

So, I've had a few things going on...

There are a lot more details involved with everything that I've left out.  Shawn knows most of them because we stay in contact on a regular basis.  I just don't have the time to dive into all of it.  I just wanted to share with everyone what has happened with me, and how God can still work miracles.  His timing is perfect, and any situation that seems impossible to us, is nothing for him.  I never thought I would find a way out, for three years we never thought we would find the one spot we wanted to be, but God decided to answer both of those prayers in the same week.  None of this was by my hands, I simply prayed and asked for guidance.  God provided the rest.  I give Him all the praise and all the credit.  Never underestimate our God. 

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2017, 08:33:28 AM »
Now, I know a lot of you are wondering about the 2015 Dodge I had.

Well, if you want a pavement princess, go buy you one.  They are nice, have a great interior, but they are meant to be kept on the highway...

We got rid of my truck at 106k miles.  Since June of 2016, while working in NM, I had the following happen with that truck...

replaced water pump
broke rear sway bar links
broke front shock mount
had to replace front shock
broke a wheel
went through 2 sets of ball joints (was on the third set when traded)
went through 2 sets of wheel bearings (was on the third and fourth set when traded)
key fob quit functioning so it had to be reprogrammed and replaced
broke rear back up lights mounted at frame under bumper
front sway bar shifted to the passengers side as far as it could go
replaced the belts
something on the front of the motor was still whining when we traded it in because we quit spending money on trying to fix it
amp fold out running boards quit working

Now New Mexico is not the best place for a truck to be everyday.  Conditions are a little harsh.  Roads are about as smooth as driving down a set of rail road tracks.  But, we have chevys and fords out there as well.  They all held up a ton better under harsh conditions than dodge.  The chevys by far, hands down, can handle the stress and work conditions the best.  Ford held up pretty well also.  Dodge couldn't handle it.  We have replaced 5 gas motors in the one ton trucks, all at under 50k miles.  Dodge wont warranty them because they claim there is dust in the intake tube.  Even though we clean out filters daily, and have new filters installed every 3k miles.  Dodge warranty is the biggest joke I have ever been involved with.  Even on my truck, they didn't want to warranty anything.  My company, and I, will never own or purchase another new dodge product, ever.  They are fine for running up and down the highway, and look good doing it, but that's it.  If you do go out and buy one, you might as well get it with NO warranty.  Save your money, because they will not warranty anything on that truck.  I ate up a brand new set of tires in 3 months.  Ball joints were shot.  Dodge would not warranty because they claimed they were still within their specs.  Even though I could eat up a brand new set of tires in 3 months, the ball joints still met Dodge specs.  If you want horror stories, then talk to me before you go out and buy one.  Trust me.

After putting all our vehicles through those conditions in NM, I can honestly say nothing held up as well as those chevys.  Just the regular 6.0 gas motor one ton trucks.  You couldn't hurt them.  We have some with 200k miles plus, and they still run, everyday, on the factory motor and trans.  We haven't seen a dodge make it to 100k yet without replacing the front end and motor!  We just replaced the motor on the gas ford because it sucked in too much dirt.  Havent touched a single chevy motor yet.

I still own my 97 dodge 12 valve one ton.  I love it.  Would have no issue buying another one.  But you can forget the new ones.  Not worth the money.

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »
Speaking of my 97 Dodge 12 valve, who is the go to guy on here I can bounce questions off of?  I want to start working on getting more power out of it, without spending a fortune.  I may start up a new thread for it on here so no one has to plow through all my other junk...

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »
don has had good luck with getting those old motors to run. try him.  :grin:

but really.. there are a few guys on here that mess with them and know some useful info on them.

lane i believe is one. NORM is the other, but haven't seen much of him lately.. and he isn't even farming anyway. honestly no telling what he's gotten in to the last few months.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2017, 09:10:18 AM »
Ash. I'm happy for you brother. That's a lot to swallow in a short period of time. Holler at me some time. I still am at my weekend place in Ratcliff almost every weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »
That's quite a lot to take in.
Glad things are working out Ash.

Tlane (lane) and Norm (Oldkoot) would be to go to guys as mentioned.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2017, 09:16:52 AM »
Tlane I think that is his handle is an expert & Norm well if he answers his phone is a very deep well of knowledge. I'll text you his contact info & let him know you'll be texting.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
have an hr of so of free time available and a pot of coffee or preferred beverage ready before you hit 'dial' though. hahah

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2017, 10:43:05 AM »
how has that trailer held up that you bought from me ash?

I completely understand what you are/were feeling with regards to being away from family.......I have been there too many times and have paid the price over and over as well.....
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »
have an hr of so of free time available and a pot of coffee or preferred beverage ready before you hit 'dial' though. hahah

:likebutton:
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2017, 02:12:05 PM »

No joke, Norm is great for conversation especially about cummins equipped trucks......

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2017, 11:33:45 PM »
Ash, glad to hear everything is working out and thanks for the witness. Stress is a tough thing and even though I haven't been deployed for months on end I have worked and lived apart from the family for almost a year. You do miss out on so much.

Let us know how your Oldkoot call goes!  Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2017, 10:28:46 AM »
Just reporting in for duty...was farmside

Whoa

What a story

Whoa...

Don't know where to start...so I wont

Just say, Glad to have you back in one piece Ash, and Praise God...he is still in the people business!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2017, 10:47:55 PM »
how has that trailer held up that you bought from me ash?

I completely understand what you are/were feeling with regards to being away from family.......I have been there too many times and have paid the price over and over as well.....

Its doing well Nate.  Just loaded it up the past two days with supplies for our next job.  It will be leaving out Monday morning loaded down. 

I've seen both my partners go through a divorce from their first wives of 18-20 years.  Not saying it was all because of working off, but it did play a part that lead to other things that shouldn't happen in a marriage. 

Just didn't want to go that route with my wife and kids...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2017, 10:49:45 PM »
Just reporting in for duty...was farmside

Whoa

What a story

Whoa...

Don't know where to start...so I wont

Just say, Glad to have you back in one piece Ash, and Praise God...he is still in the people business!

The man who has something to say about everything, speechless?  I'm not buying, lol.  I'll let it all soak in for a while then you can unleash on my thread and clog it as you see fit!   :cool:

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:50 AM »
Here are some pictures of the 97 Dodge....  This was how it looked the day I picked it up...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2017, 11:09:56 AM »
Few more of exterior...  Love those pawpaw running boards, lol

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2017, 11:11:39 AM »
Sadly, this is the only picture I could find of it recently.  And it is not current.  I did remove the factory bed, and had a flat bed installed.  Also removed the wheels and tires, and went with a simple 17" wheel with 33" Toyo m/t tires. 

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2017, 11:19:01 AM »
Sadly, this is the only picture I could find of it recently.  And it is not current.  I did remove the factory bed, and had a flat bed installed.  Also removed the wheels and tires, and went with a simple 17" wheel with 33" Toyo m/t tires.

Didn't take you long to oil field that truck up....

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »
SO what you're saying is not much is going on huh?  :shocked:

Congrats on the move/change. I am happy for you. At the end of the day family is what counts and being a parent, and a good one, really matters. Good for you for making all those changes. Kids wont necessarily understand why there may be less toys around but the time you spend will be the best gift you can give them. My wife and I made a decision that she would stay home with the kids. They always whined because friends where both parents worked had more toys or went on better trips. But my kids also knew if they were sick at school Mom would come get them, not some stranger, or they wouldn't have to go to daycare after school with a stomach ache or whatever. Good for you guys. Its not an easy decision to make, but I admire you for it. I wish you the best with all the changes.

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2017, 11:22:21 AM »
I'll have to get new pictures up soon.

A farmer owned this truck originally and he was the only owner.  It stayed parked on his farm, and he would use it to haul his camper for vacation during the off season.  He had removed the tailgate about 10 years ago because he got tired of letting it up and down, and he couldn't remember where it was.  I didn't care because I was going with a flat bed.  Drove about 7 hours up to Kansas to get this truck.  Loaded it up and hauled it home.

It is a 1997 12v dodge 5 speed 4wd.  Has sway bars front and rear.  Has factory 4:10 gears.  Had 180k original miles on it.  Power windows, power locks, power mirrors.  Clutch is tight.  Everything on this truck worked and looked like it came off the dealership lot brand new the day it was bought.  No rust, no dents, dings, scratches. 

I had a CM flatbed with led lights installed, plus a tool box/fuel tank combo.  Also had fuel tank piped into factory tank.  I removed the turbo silencer ring, and installed a MBRP 4" straight pipe exhaust.  Fit great with no cutting involved.  I also removed the factory headlights, and installed an aftermarket set.  Huge improvement for night time driving.  As stated earlier, I also removed the factory 16" wheels/tires, and went simple with a set of black 17" wheels and 33" tires.  I installed a set of spacers on the rear to ensure clearance. 

My future plans for now are to get more lights on it in the way of HID spots or/and led light bars.  I have plenty laying around.  I also need to install my Warn winch.  I haven't decided if I want to go with replacement front bumper or just keep it simple and cheap.  Considered installing a receiver hitch on the front and wiring in plug in terminals at front and rear of truck.  Then I can mount winch on a 2" receiver, and keep it portable.  When not going off road, leave winch at the shop.  If I know I'm going off road, I can bring winch and use to pull truck from front or rear by simply sliding it into receiver and plugging up.  Open for opinions here from everyone...

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »

Come on man...  Really?   lol

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2017, 11:34:44 AM »
Here are the faults on this truck currently....

It will not crank unless you give it slight pedal.  If you just clutch/put in neutral and turn key, it will just keep turning over and not fire.  You have to give it slight pedal to get it to fire off.  Not sure if this is normal on older diesels or not?  I've been told the spring just has slack? 

It has several small oil leaks.  Most of what I can see is that they are just gaskets in various places.  Now, its not leaking a quart a day.  But after driving and you leave it parked, it will greet you with a half dollar sized oil leak under motor every time.  Again, nothing too concerning.  I just top it off about once a month, sometimes longer depending on how much it has been driven, with a quart.  What's the most economical way to fix the oil leaks?  Pull the entire motor and replace everything, or replace here and there as time allows?  I cant afford to have this truck down for 2-3 weeks at a time.  Down for a week, no big deal, two at most. 

The transmission will grind every time you go into third gear.  Whether up or down shifting, it's going to grind.  I have found out that if you double clutch when upshifting before hitting third, it will slide right in with no noise.  But when you down shift, it will grind no matter what.  I also have noticed that every now and then it doesn't want to grab a gear, as in there will be a slight resistance when you shift, so I catch myself remaining on the clutch, going back to neutral, and then moving into the next gear a second time.  Now this happens fast, faster then it took to type this, but there is resistance sometimes on certain gears.  I have been told that the third gear grinding is a sign that the transmission is going out.  Seems kind of obvious to me.  I was told it may last 2 months, may last two years.  I guess we will find out. 

Other than that, truck is great.  I did replace the thermostat because it was hanging last summer.  Since replacement, it stays cold. 

Only complaints I have is I wish the turbo would spool up "faster" ?  Seems to take forever to catch up when hauling. 

Not looking to make a race truck here.  This will be just a farm truck and be used to haul whatever is needed.

It does need a little front end work because I'm getting uneven where on inside tread of front tires.  More than likely just ball joints.  Also needs a new set of shocks all the way around.  Still has factory from what I can tell. 

Basically looking at getting 4k spring I believe for the pump?  What I was told to go with, so feel free to correct me.  Few other minor things I may change, but not trying to get stupid with this as I have in the past.  Simple and effective seems to be the best fit here.

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »

I had to swap out wheels.  The factory 16" are rare around here.  Everything is 17" and up, but 17" is now factory on everything used to haul.  One ton and 3/4 ton.  I bought these wheels for cheaper than I could find a factory set.  I also needed spacers to be able to have clearance.  I didn't want a super tall tire, but needed a wide tire to stand up.  As far as exhaust, well, you know me and I like to hear my trucks running, lol.  So that goes without saying.   :shocked:

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »

It will not crank unless you give it slight pedal.  If you just clutch/put in neutral and turn key, it will just keep turning over and not fire.  You have to give it slight pedal to get it to fire off.  Not sure if this is normal on older diesels or not?  I've been told the spring just has slack? 

It has several small oil leaks.  Most of what I can see is that they are just gaskets in various places.  Now, its not leaking a quart a day.  But after driving and you leave it parked, it will greet you with a half dollar sized oil leak under motor every time.  Again, nothing too concerning.  I just top it off about once a month, sometimes longer depending on how much it has been driven, with a quart.  What's the most economical way to fix the oil leaks?  Pull the entire motor and replace everything, or replace here and there as time allows?  I cant afford to have this truck down for 2-3 weeks at a time.  Down for a week, no big deal, two at most. 

The transmission will grind every time you go into third gear.  Whether up or down shifting, it's going to grind.  I have found out that if you double clutch when upshifting before hitting third, it will slide right in with no noise.  But when you down shift, it will grind no matter what.  I also have noticed that every now and then it doesn't want to grab a gear, as in there will be a slight resistance when you shift, so I catch myself remaining on the clutch, going back to neutral, and then moving into the next gear a second time.  Now this happens fast, faster then it took to type this, but there is resistance sometimes on certain gears.  I have been told that the third gear grinding is a sign that the transmission is going out.  Seems kind of obvious to me.  I was told it may last 2 months, may last two years.  I guess we will find out. 

Other than that, truck is great.  I did replace the thermostat because it was hanging last summer.  Since replacement, it stays cold. 

Only complaints I have is I wish the turbo would spool up "faster" ?  Seems to take forever to catch up when hauling. 

Not looking to make a race truck here.  This will be just a farm truck and be used to haul whatever is needed.

It does need a little front end work because I'm getting uneven where on inside tread of front tires.  More than likely just ball joints.  Also needs a new set of shocks all the way around.  Still has factory from what I can tell. 

Basically looking at getting 4k spring I believe for the pump?  What I was told to go with, so feel free to correct me.  Few other minor things I may change, but not trying to get stupid with this as I have in the past.  Simple and effective seems to be the best fit here.

Is the transmission rebuild something you're looking to tackle yourself? since we bought Zumbrota bearing and Gear in may, we have access to all manual transmission and transfercase parts. couple of vehicle details and or VIN# and I can get you anything you might want for it. Just let me know. All said, looks like a solid rig there Ash.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »

Is the transmission rebuild something you're looking to tackle yourself? since we bought Zumbrota bearing and Gear in may, we have access to all manual transmission and transfercase parts. couple of vehicle details and or VIN# and I can get you anything you might want for it. Just let me know. All said, looks like a solid rig there Ash.

Thanks Tate.  I was told that for about the same money, I can just pull the trans and have a new one installed.  Can't remember the place off top of my head, but they are up North.  MO maybe?  I have a friend that runs about 4 of these one ton 12 valve dodges, and has since they came out.  He claims the best thing to do is contact that shop, buy a new trans from them, they will ship it, then ship my old back to them.  Again, I don't have any idea.  Just going off what I was told. 

I have no plans to rebuild myself!  Don't have the smarts.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2017, 01:33:35 PM »
Ash, why no dually?

Blow a tire, still have one and all that...

That truck is hauling quite a load with the deere! 6000 series?

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2017, 02:02:11 PM »
Ash, why no dually?

Blow a tire, still have one and all that...

That truck is hauling quite a load with the deere! 6000 series?

It is a dually Don.  Not sure I follow? 

Yeah, that's my 6330 JD.  100hp.  Weighs right at 12k lbs with loader on it.  Used it primarily in hay field and to pull my 15' batwing mower.  Now that I'm out of the hay business, it will just be used around the farm for pulling that batwing and moving dirt/trees around.

I just bought a used 5105 JD 4wd open cab with loader and attachments as well.  Nice little tractor to get in and out of tight places that my big one can't. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2017, 02:04:02 PM »
I meant, why didn't you keep it a dually?

Or did you?

Looks like a single rear wheel in the pic
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:04:56 PM by Flyin6 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal