VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Tires, Wheels, and Suspension

All Terrain Tires for the Duramax

(1/19) > >>

Dawg25385:
Ok guys, in the next couple months i'm going to be putting new shoes on the truck...

Wheels i have picked out already. Going with a 17". I have no plans to lift or level the truck. The wheels I have picked out are the Helo HE879.

I wanted to get a thread going on All Terrain Tires. I thought I was decided, but now i'm conflicted. Got a recommendation to not go with BFG A/T's, so i'm researching alternate options.

Whatever I get, it will be a 265/70/R17.

I had originally thought I wanted to go with the BF Goodrich A/T KO2... the new version of the classic A/T...

I did get some feedback (JR i think?) that these would wear quickly on the diesel... and there is no tread warranty offered with the KO2. Discount Tire has these for $214 per tire. I also saw these tires on another truck, and the more agressive sidewall tread stuff kind looks goofy if you ask me... maybe with a lift and bigger wheel/tire combo, but with standard-ish size tires, kinda looked like a DNR rig LOL

I got to lookin, and think I may be switching my mind and going with the Cooper Discoverer ATP. The ATP is a Discount Tire exclusive. They're $181 per tire, and right now you can get a $70 rebate on a set of 4. They also have a 55k mile tread warranty, which is a big plus over the BFG KO2...

I ran the Toyo A/T II's on my 08 duramax, and loved them... but they slung gravel like crazy, and they were dang expensive...

What do you guys think? Think the Coopers are a good bet?

BobbyB:
What about the GoodYear DuraTracs? I have them on the Jeep (not the same) but I do seem them on almost all the diesels up here with ATs, so that has to count for something.

Dawg25385:
I considered those, but dang they have such aggressive sidewall tread too... and they're pretty expensive for the 10 ply

Sammconn:
I'm sporting a set of Toyo M-55's at the moment.
They are not cheap.
I'm in a unique position at the end of a 200 mile gravel road (crushed black shale. Read arrowheads)
I've about tried them all. And the BFG's are no good as you've heard.
Had been running Terra Grapplers, but only get about  25 -30k out of them. They were my previous best.
The M-55's are wearing like iron. I'm nearing 20k? on them now. At least 75-80% left.
They define throwing rocks though.
They are ok on ice, decent in snow, and pretty good in the mud.
But they are pricey.
I'm on about the same as you're looking at but on a 16.

Sorry to ramble, just used up a lot of tires over the years.
These are worth every penny so far.

KensAuto:
I just talked to my buddy that has an '05 Dodge 3/4 ton with those coopers, told him about you, and he advised against them. He said they are noisy and his #1 complaint was that they "railroaded" pretty bad for the first 20k. He has about 30k and they have been cupping for a while. These were mostly highway miles.
He said he tried them out because they had pretty good reviews.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version