Hello Guest

Author Topic: Spring Ice  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Spring Ice
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:53:52 PM »
As some of you know, home for me is up north of the 56th parallel.
Spring is finally upon us, and the snow is pretty much a thing of the past.
Still a bit hanging in the trees, and on north facing slopes.

Three weeks ago we had the fastest melt I've seen in the fifteen years I've live up here.
We went from over two feet of snow to basically none in about 36 hours.

It caught us at the cabin, and we had a bit of water to sled home through.

I did stop here to take a couple pictures, on relatively firm slush, and able to get moving as well.
The water in the larger pools is about 8-12 inches deep, and it was becoming a get home now or wait it out.
As the snow melts, it pools on the ice and makes a lot of slush. After a period of time, the water migrates through cracks, pressure ridges, ice fishing holes, and returns the ice to the top as it normally is.
So I had to make the call, are we going home or trapped for a day or two or...

Made the call to try it, and began hauling stuff back. We spend all the time we can in our little corner of heaven, so there is always several Rubbermaid's of stuff, as well as out three hounds to transport. So to lighten the load with the dogs, I made the extra trip with our kit.

Long story short all went without a hitch for us and were home safe and sound a couple hours later.

Too bad the sun was setting, and the picture is all washed out,  but the big crescent just off shore was around two feet deep.
Snowmobiles actually are fairly good in water, but towing a load changes things, and momentum is your friend.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Ice
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:07:56 PM »
Does not compute.....from below the 30th parallel.   
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:10:41 PM »
So fast forward three weeks, the ice is in a good state of decay, and I have sauna materials to haul.

I AM NOT A SPRING ICE FAN!

It is unpredictable, and getting worse every day, unlike fall ice which gains strength every day.

This was the state of the ice when I hauled. It is known as candle ice, namesake from its birthday candle size and shape.
This is the result of me literally stepping on the crack. I proceeded to use an ice chisel to see how deep the candling was.
It was 12-16 inches, and then a nice solid clunk. We ran between 4 and 5 feet of ice this year, so I was comfortable to make the haul.

Loaded komatik hauled to ice with quad, then high-balled it across the lake, unloaded and repeated 5 times.

Last load was the quad to have it at my disposal for the summer again.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 11:21:19 PM »
Needless to say we are done until break up.
Which at the rate of decay and the forecast will hopefully only be a couple more weeks.

Yes, I'm that guy, first on the ice, amongst the last off it.
First in the water, and last out in the fall.

I'll walk on 3"of fall ice without a lot of thought, but 4 feet of spring ice in this state really troubles me.

About my fourth trip across, I punched down a section of ice on a pressure ridge about three inches.
I had been considering one last weekend up until that point, but that sealed the deal, we are done for this winter.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:25:24 PM »
Does not compute.....from below the 30th parallel.

LOL. We have a hard time with your heat.

I always kind of chuckled seeing the sweaters and jackets until we vacationed in Vegas and the Grand Canyon in August a few years back. I about died the first couple days in the 110+ heat, my body adjusted quicker that I expected, and low and behold, setting around a fire one night in the 70's, we were all cold.

Beautiful country, just too dang hot for this redneck.
Sam

Offline akraven

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 03:25:52 AM »
I had a friend send this article http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/new-ford-f350-goes-through-ice-on-pontoon-lake-near-yellowknife-1.3064093 of a guy losing his brand new truck through the candle ice up in Yellowknife.
I am a wimp on ice. Gotta wait till its real thick and then off it early in the spring. Just the thought of going through gives me the willies.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 04:51:49 AM »
I had my fill of that when I lived in Minn for many years. It doesn't bother me, but I will take the warmer climates if given a choice.

Somehow the picture of the quad being pulled just doesn't look right, must just be me.

We were in Redding last summer after playing and fishing near Lassen, my little temp gauge said 121!!!!! and it felt it.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »
Hardcore Sam.           Hardcore.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator