Hello Guest

Author Topic: Truck Mounted RZR Rack  (Read 36860 times)

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Truck Mounted RZR Rack
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:55:35 AM »
My brother decided to one up me by purchasing this RZR 1000 last week. The problem is that he doesn't have a way to haul it....except for borrowing Kens trailer, but then he can't tow his tt camping trailer.
We decided to build a lightweight rack for his F250. With a bit of math,  and help from a metric tape measure, we figured the overall height with rzr should end up around 12.5 feet.....or 12.5 meters. ..not real sure.

Here's the truck, with 8 inches of lift, and the new toy :
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Truck Mounted RZR Rack
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:20:46 AM »
My brother decided to one up me by purchasing this RZR 1000 last week. The problem is that he doesn't have a way to haul it....except for borrowing Kens trailer, but then he can't tow his tt camping trailer.
We decided to build a lightweight rack for his F250. With a bit of math,  and help from a metric tape measure, we figured the overall height with rzr should end up around 12.5 feet.....or 12.5 meters. ..not real sure.

Here's the truck, with 8 inches of lift, and the new toy :

Ken, you need a tape measure?
I'll send you one...

Measuring in millimeters or (as my son would say) centipeters is just wrong. or you could build a trailer 12.5 meters and it would definitely be big enough!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:05:51 AM »
Gasser with a stack???
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 09:39:57 AM »
I should have figured you would notice! !
(Actually a twin stacked v10......you may hold the name "redneck" but my family holds the title ). Lol

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
my Brutha! from another mutha!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 11:18:28 PM »
A better look at the toy and, well, his other toy:

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 11:32:08 PM »
I didn't take a bunch of pics of the actual metal work. We were focused on trying to finish this job in 1 & 1/2 days, with me purchasing and retrieving a fifth wheel toyhauler, out of town, in the same allotted time frame.
Here is the base rails that will rest on the top of the bed rails. They start at the rear, stay flat for 32" (where the rear RZR tires will be strapped down), then travel upwards at a 20* slope to the top of the cab, then towards the windshield for 48", where the front tires will rest. The RZR wheel base is 118"....right at 10 feet:

....using 1-1/2" thin wall square tube to keep the weight down:

Uprights/supports are inserted in the bed pockets:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 11:40:21 PM »
Ken, I wonder if you should carry the square tubing all the way to the front of the bed to make sure you get good weight distribution on the bed rails.  All that weight from the front resting on those two smaller pads as the frame angles up towards the cab could conceivably cause the bed rails to flex or bend.  What do you think?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 11:41:21 PM »
Next up was doubling up everything and making the rack/ramps 17" wide, with 1" angle spaced evenly, every 10". We welded in a few 1-1/2 sections for rigidity.

Saturday night, 9:00, at the end of build day .5, with only a couple pics taken :

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 11:45:47 PM »
Ken, I wonder if you should carry the square tubing all the way to the front of the bed to make sure you get good weight distribution on the bed rails.  All that weight from the front resting on those two smaller pads as the frame angles up towards the cab could conceivably cause the bed rails to flex or bend.  What do you think?
There will be main supports going from the middle of the ramps to the bed, even with the 6 bed pockets. Then there will be a cross support at the front of the bed....then a couple trips down a washboard road for a survivability test!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 11:53:11 PM »
This morning we started by removing the rack to build the section above the cab:

...at this point, everything is just tacked together and it's already about 12:00 !

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 12:06:32 AM »
While brother James was welding on the rack, I started on the aluminum ramps, that will detach and slide in the bed for transport. At 8'x17" wide, we figured aluminum would be the wise choice. The only problem with that was, I didn't specify what I thought would be best size and gauge for James to purchase, based on the RZRs 1600lb weight .
Here's what we started with...1-1/2 square T6:

We took 2 of those 8 footers, and clamped them together, then backed the RZR onto them, with a block of wood under one end.....it wasn't pretty (no pics of course).
Shortly after, James was on a mission to find more aluminum, in a city with no steel shops, on a Sunday.
Round #2....we took some 1", thick walled angle and welded it to the bottom of the 1-1/2 tubing, counting on the possibility of the ramp curving from the welding, and it did...perfectly:

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 12:14:50 AM »
....I'm prepared for the hazing to come from pics of my not so beautiful welding pics....hey, it was a spool gun, what do you expect!!!
To (hopefully) attain the same curves between all 4 beams, we transferred the location and length of welds from the first one on to the other 3:

The new and improved beams passed the test so on to welding in some rungs....1" angle:

Here's my brother Jeff taking a turn:

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 12:25:52 AM »
Even after all the aluminum came together, I'm about at the point Flyin6 was when he was struggling with the thought of destroying his Tact topper, but having so much time and money in it, maybe just adding more to it will fix it.....
.....I have a feeling this will eventually get the axe, but for now it should work. Maybe Ken will at least get his trailer back for awhile......maybe.

At the end of build day 1.5, we had to put the rack back on James' truck so he could scoot back to Phoenix, where he will probably finish it during the week. These pics show the start of the gusseting plan, which will also double as a safety rail along the outer edge....to keeps Mr RZR from taking a long plunge once aloft:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 07:34:20 AM »
What do you think it weighs?   How hard it is to get on and off the truck?

Nice work Ken.  Joker is not here to hassle you on your welds...

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 08:01:51 AM »
Nice work!

At least that truck won't be top heavy with the 1000 sittin' up there  :o
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 10:33:43 AM »
What do you think it weighs?   How hard it is to get on and off the truck?

Nice work Ken.  Joker is not here to hassle you on your welds...
At this point I would say about 140 lbs or so. 2 of us lifted it up it fairly easily.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 10:34:07 AM »
Nice work!

At least that truck won't be top heavy with the 1000 sittin' up there  :o

Haha

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 10:50:43 PM »
Here's the finished rack, on our camping trip in the mountains. James finished it off with a couple coats of Raptor liner.
He said it felt a little top heavy, and had a decent amount of roll in the corners. lol

No more stacks Charles!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 10:53:30 PM »
The pics don't show them, but there's several eyelets welded on the inside, to facilitate removing the rack. He mounted 2 HF winches in his attic, backs under them, and winches it out. I have not been there for that task, so I can't comment on how much it weighs....or how well that works (he says it works perfectly).

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 11:45:23 PM »
Nice job, let the dust start flying.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 06:45:56 AM »
That's quite a sight Ken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »
Roll in the corners, really?? Lifted FORD (tires almost out of the wells) and 1500lb above all that. Hope there is no wind.

Nice job and looks like it works great. Kinda like why I got an inflatable vs a alum boat. Is it holding up?

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 09:48:56 AM »
So far.

At the beginning of this thread, I mentioned my terrible welds. What I didn't admit was that I was using Stargon Mix at first,  the wrong gas for aluminum welding...total brain fart on my part. After hooking up the straight Argon I became the Superman of Spool Guns....well, they did look a little better afterwards.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal