Hello Guest

Author Topic: New Champion Compressor (from burb build)  (Read 8114 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New Champion Compressor (from burb build)
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:07:38 AM »
 OK, this is from my 2500 swap thread when I got the compressor.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:46:47 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:07:43 PM »
Not in the tool section, but I need a bigger/better compressor and I wanted to go local so I got this. No not a pallet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hooked it up after lifting the front with ramps and airing down the rears. Much easier to pull out flat vs up.

My little HF did a great job!!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:35:11 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:10:38 PM »
That lift is a 2 ton and has done about everything form tree trunks so the 2 floor lifts I slid into the other garage after stacking and setting on car dollys.

Lifting the 700lb Compressor was childs play.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:33:36 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 1991 Suburban 2500 build and 6BT
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 02:13:23 PM »
I then spun her around (why are they always women??) and set her down.

Lifted it from the top and tied it off to my dmax so it could not fall.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:32:55 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:29:41 PM »
All set up nice and safe (until I move outside) ready to be refilled with oil (drained for laying down) and a more break in after wiring.

Got it for just over 2K and it should easily out perform my 20 year old 5hp Craftsman with an Alum pump.

This is 5hp too, but the motor is about double the size, magnetic starter, starting unloader and rated at 175psi and 17cfm@175psi and just spins at 720 rpm.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:32:19 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:48:53 PM »
nice
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: New Champion Compressor (from burb build)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 08:38:04 PM »
A true 5 hp.  Nice.
Don't you love how everyone over rates their (China) compressors nowadays?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 08:53:34 PM »
So ken,  I guess I needed more compressor to break that harmonic balancer bolt.  This puppy and a 3/4 impact would have done it....

I hate it when I under buy.  It would have only cost me 5 times as much to go first class.....

Nice hardware there, JR.  Congrats
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 12:14:20 AM »
Yep.

OldKooT

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 09:41:43 AM »
That's a hansom machine Jr. Got it all plumbed in making air yet?  I changed pulley size on mine..I am hoping for about 20cfm at 150 psi.... we shall see. I should have ours running tomorrow. We are going to a farm auction today....not sure why exactly.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 10:01:40 AM »
That's a hansom machine Jr. Got it all plumbed in making air yet?  I changed pulley size on mine..I am hoping for about 20cfm at 150 psi.... we shall see. I should have ours running tomorrow. We are going to a farm auction today....not sure why exactly.

Everytime the conversation turns to air compressors, I like to sing the praises of the Eaton. Not to take anything away from your guys excellent units, but this Eaton family which are a Christian family company makes some good stuff

I just checked in on their web site at my compressor, which is a 7.5HP, V-4 unit that lists for $2049.
I got it on a special delivered for under $1500 I think, and it sports some pretty good numbers
Runs at a very quiet 640 rpm
29 SCFM @ 100 psi
26 SCFM @ 175
But it is regulated at 145 psi
I can say after owning it for some time now, it is much, much quieter than my old Craftsman, and this Eaton keeps up with everything I throw at it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:11:25 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 06:07:32 PM »
I am wiring it up now. Will need to free stand until I move a thing or 2. Adding a switch and a auto drain I already had.

Mine is regulated the same and has most of the same features, even the drive hub is ballanced.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 03:22:09 AM »
Thinking of lines now, possibly some of the new composite stuff. Flex line to a main 3/4 metal feed followed by this easy to run and change stuff.

Rapidair has 1/2 inch kits for under $100. Sure there are other brands.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 08:14:54 AM »
Thinking of lines now, possibly some of the new composite stuff. Flex line to a main 3/4 metal feed followed by this easy to run and change stuff.

Rapidair has 1/2 inch kits for under $100. Sure there are other brands.

One thing JR I would recommend
Stay away from the flexible blue 1/2" line. It's ugly, wants to stay in a loop, even when nailed to your pretty garage wall...I'd go for the blue 3/4" straight stuff. Mo-monee, but mo-better lookin

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 01:38:56 PM »
No plumbing yet but it is quiet! Funny thing is it still shows around 85db (andriod app) but seems way less and is not a slapping ping but a thrumb.

Me be happy,,,,,,,,,,,,,  ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 03:10:53 PM »
Congrats on the peace and quiet JR. I must say I'm a bit envious. I have a decent one at the shop, but the home front is lacking good air. I don't even have enough power in the garage for one....yet.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 01:35:11 AM »
Mine is going outside, but under the cover for the toyhauler near the front of the garage. You can stand nest to it and talk but not that you would want to all day.

Don, looks like the 1/2 line does not have the alum layer and just rated for 150psi anyway. I do like the fixtures, ease of change and drains at each outlet. Not crazy priced but not cheap either.

I may still just run a 3/4 pipe and use pvc for the legs. Heat goes to the pipe and PVC is rated at 300psi. Anyone ever have issues with PVC air lines?

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 07:19:10 AM »
I wouldn't use pvc for a variety of reasons. It isn't UV safe, it's known to shrapnel if it fails, and at least here in no where Nebraska, it's against the law for use as air lines.

I would think those 3/4" rapid air kits would be plenty economical and handy for a single user system. Although I do wonder how well they dissipate heat. Cool air equals dry air after all.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 08:57:51 AM »
JR, I used PVC once for air lines until I learned just how dangerous they are. Not right away, but eventually they will grenade and with you, your boy and the wife frequenting the area, just too great a chance to take.

Are the 1/2" lines straight blue or that coiled up stuff. Because if it is the latter, it will never roll out flat. That may not be an issue, but it is for me. I hate it and plan to replace mine with mo-better stuff.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 02:57:22 PM »
Ok, simple, PVC is out, Thanks!!

It all comes coiled and you have to lay it out to let it relax. Still looking at specs but I think the 1/2 is not lined like the 3/4 is. Ratings look strange to at 175psi @ 70* and 140psi @ 140*. 3/4 kit uses metal fittings and 1/2 uses plastic.

For cooling the line either a run of pipe outside along the garage should work and I am looking at the extruded alum finned tube used on oil coolers. I like the later as being cost effective and would be on the shady side of the garage.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal