Hello Guest

Author Topic: Ramcharger Build  (Read 67156 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Ramcharger Build
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2015, 02:00:53 PM »
Whats a complete running engine worth in your neck of the woods? Around here a high mileage but otherwise running but tired 6bt is worth $1,800-2,200 all day long. That's without pump.

I can have a properly blueprinted Cummins head redone here for about $700 That's all new valves, springs, and machine work.

About the same around here but that is with the pump normally. My Ppump was 1500 without injectors or lines but with 2 turbos.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2015, 06:29:24 PM »
Whats a complete running engine worth in your neck of the woods? Around here a high mileage but otherwise running but tired 6bt is worth $1,800-2,200 all day long. That's without pump.

I can have a properly blueprinted Cummins head redone here for about $700 That's all new valves, springs, and machine work.

Its all over the place price wise, the VE and P-pump dodge motors are getting hard to find down here.  The bus/truck/equipment engines are fairly common and in the 2-4K range and are pulled out with the tranny(Allison units) still in place so you cant hear them run and the people that have them will not split the package. I'm tempted to just by a donor truck!

I been checking in machine shops in the area and prices are all over the place, I going to check up in Bakersfield about 1.5hrs north for pricing I might get better service up in farm and oil country!!  I keep you posted.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2015, 12:34:49 AM »
A donor may be easier. I think I will have to find lots of linkage and such for my Ppump. I found a box that for the VE I had, sometimes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2015, 05:02:43 PM »
So from the looks thing this is pricing in my neck of the woods,

1.   China casting complete head  $550.  I have not found any bad experiences with anyone using these heads but most of those people are running stock boost.
2.   Machine shop basic Valve Job Mag, pressure check, deck . no new parts, 600-850 depending on the shop
3.   Machine shop 100% reman $1250 new valves, guides, springs, etc,etc
4.   Cummins reman exchange $1235 +$65 core(I would keep my old head for that price ) this is supposedly all new parts.

Most likely I will just go the Cummins route but I am waiting to hear back from one more machine shop up in Farm/Oil country

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Ramcharger Build(these things keep following home)
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2015, 10:49:01 PM »
Ok, I decided to buy a core engine.  I will get the head redone and install it on my current motor.   Then I will rebuild the bottom end as time permits, once I get the 47RH rebuilt I will swap everything into the truck.

So I picked up a core today that I knew it had a broken cam, the price was right and the only carnage are the push rods, tappets and the cam.  So when everyone dose the KDP they should also remove the bolts that hold the case to the engine and clean and locktight the bolts otherwise its just as bad as not doing the KDP.  This engine did not have the KDP done but the bolt is what killed it.  the gears look perfect and none of the valves are bent, the BT6bengines are a zero clearance engine so this will happen everytime, luckily the push rod bends and saves the engine from any real carnage.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2015, 10:51:19 PM »
some more

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2015, 11:12:46 PM »
Could agree more on doing all the bolts. When doing browsing it is amazing how many pics you see of bolts and gears rubbing on that front housing.

VE or P block there?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2015, 12:19:41 AM »
This was a 92 so it's a VE.  I might look for a ppump setup and convert it but the VE is working for right now.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2015, 12:51:22 AM »
Norm will say stay with the VE. I had both and sold the VE. Not sure if that was wise but we shall see.

Who is doing the 47rh? I have a 46, waiting to see BDs run to know which way I will go.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2015, 09:03:57 AM »
YEEOUCH!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2015, 10:34:06 AM »
Looks like a solid core. Should be a fun project to rebuild.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2015, 11:24:08 AM »
Dug into the core engine a little yesterday, I just wanted to make sure it was just the cam.  internally it looks like it was maintained no sludge and water jackets look the cleanest I have seen in a longtime.  A couple pictures of the cam.

The head gasket looks to be getting worse, I noticed today my boost is down, I was keeping it under 20lbs but I pulled a long grade today and I could only get 24lbs and EGT started to climb so I am assuming its leaking under full load.  Looks like I will be doing this job sooner rather than later.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2015, 01:14:21 PM »
^^^That's a broken shaft?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2015, 01:49:54 PM »
Yes Sir, they break right behind the front bearing.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »
Whats the cure to keep them from doing that?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
Two things can cause this, one most people have heard of is the KDP.  The other is the bolts that hold the timing case to the block are just as a concern, they should be removed cleaned and the hole they go into with parts cleaner and then reinstalled with locktight and torqued.  This should prevent them of ever coming out, but the only way you can get to all one the case bolts is with the cam removed 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
Two things can cause this, one most people have heard of is the KDP.  The other is the bolts that hold the timing case to the block are just as a concern, they should be removed cleaned and the hole they go into with parts cleaner and then reinstalled with locktight and torqued.  This should prevent them of ever coming out, but the only way you can get to all one the case bolts is with the cam removed 
Makes me wonder if that was done to the case bolts in my new engine????

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »
Whats the cure to keep them from doing that?

For those not familiar with internal combustion power makers (TEX)
KDP=killer dowel pin
On a cummins, there's a dowel pin that aligns the timing cover to the block that can become loose. It falls right between the cam gear and the injection pump gear. For some weird reason, there's not enough room for the pin between the gears, and something has to give....usually the cam (I replaced a pump because of this, one time). There's also some internal timing case bolts that can also fall into the gears....most of the time, they won't fit between the gears either. lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2015, 06:22:32 PM »
interesting.  Never owned a cummins so now I know.  Thanks for breaking it down for me, Ken
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2015, 06:46:17 PM »
Ok a little update, I pulled the pushrods out of the core engine just to show how bad they bend.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2015, 06:50:35 PM »
Then I started the cylinder head removal to replace the head and the head gasket, before I started to add to the problem I was having with the leaking head, I also started to loose boost about 6psi under full load.  As I was removing the turbo I am pretty sure I found the cause of the boost leak, one of the nuts on the flange had backed all the way off and the other nut was loose, as you can see from the picture you can see the leak path.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2015, 07:11:23 PM »
Ok back to the head removal, this is a very straight forward job, you don't really need anything special at least tool wise.  First thing I disconnected the wiring going to the cylinder head.  After that I removed the turbo, then the injection lines, and then the injectors. 

Ok if you are not doing some baseline measurements you can leave the injectors in place but I want to do a quick compression test so I removed the injectors, also Cummins dose not recommend a compression test the prefer method for them is to use the breather with orfice method. 

So I got decent numbers right around 400psi in every cylinder again this was just an FYI for me.

So up next is to remove the cooling lines, intake hose, valve covers, rocker pedestals, and pushrods.  You should always mark from where each tappet the push rod goes back to.  After you have that all out of the way you can remove the cylinder head bolts, completely remove the bolts so they don't get in the way.

Then you are ready to lift the head off the block.

I have some cleaning to do but the block deck looks real good and the cylinder bores look good also.   

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »
A couple more pictures.  Also if you are just doing the job and not checking a lot of different things you should be able to get this job(removal) done in 4 hours

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2015, 07:57:12 PM »
Maybe its just me, but the pictures are not showing?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2015, 09:18:42 PM »
Maybe its just me, but the pictures are not showing?
For some reason I had to approve them! Never saw that one before. Thinking about it, I didn't check the size, just approved them...I wonder if they were too big?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2015, 09:40:29 PM »
Yea its set up that way when you post, I always resize the pictures.  Also the site only allows you to post five pictures at a time.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2015, 09:49:48 PM »
Yea its set up that way when you post, I always resize the pictures.  Also the site only allows you to post five pictures at a time.
I set it up to limit (Me) to 5 pics per post. I am the biggest picture space consumer you ever met! I only get away with it because I own the thing! Otherwise one of the mods would be kicking me to the curb, I suspect!

Approving pics?? Dunno, never had to do that...never showed up on my posts...So, anyone (Everyone??) else having to deal with this?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »
I see them now....

I see dead head gaskets....they don't even know they're dead! (the Sixth Sense)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:09:25 AM by cudakidd53 »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2015, 09:59:37 PM »
Some of those last ones were like 270kbs.....I would say larger than average but I'm no expert.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:26:04 AM by KensAuto »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2015, 11:48:58 PM »
They seem about the same size I post, 250k or so. Is there a setting where you need to have so many posts to post??

That motor looks great in there.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
I see them now....

Get some quoffee...get ahold of yourself...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2015, 09:31:06 AM »
They seem about the same size I post, 250k or so. Is there a setting where you need to have so many posts to post??

That motor looks great in there.
Yea, there's settings upon settings.
What you see is, well, what is on the screen in front of you.
What I see is akin to "The Matrix"
Clifton set up where we should be and being a knowledgeable guy, I let him set everything. I think he made good choices. He set the pics at 4 max and some size limit. I increased both the number to 5 and the size (Because of you and your big pics). I am always going in and looking over the Matrix, err, I mean settings as Kyle does. Makes one a bit stir crazy, but with respect to me, no one really notices.
We need to change up something?

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2015, 03:20:20 PM »
........er, excuse me, but the techno-genius is London bound I believe.....trapped in a flying tube with some suits, a few tourists, a couple of terrorist wanna-bees and the Botswana National Cricket team.....this Dawg won't hunt for awhile.

Back to the point, I cannot see many of the photos posted, others are just fine.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »
I'm seeing all of them.
Save for when the matrix crashed there for the day, some of those may be missing.
Otherwise I've had no picture issues.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2015, 04:45:16 PM »
I see them now....

hmmm. Coffee. 

Or more colloquially known, quoffee, is a liquid beverage made by steeping the ground up Quoffee bean in hot water, also known as "brewing".  This is the primary delivery system for the main nutritional element for Real Men, caffeine. Real Men, consume copious amounts, always black.  Black referring to the unadulterated brew, meaning no testosterone sapping cream or sugar.  Be on the lookout for a counterfeit version, known as de-caf, in which a the beans undergo a process of removal of the main ingredient, caffeine.  Known in many circles as "why bother?" de-caf coffee is akin to hiring a neutered bull for stud services on a ranch.

A late 20th century development is an offshoot of the coffee movement in which hoity toity girly men, and women (sorry I repeat myself), create various abominations of coffee based drinks, known as lattes, cappuccino, iced coffee, etc.  This has led to the revocation of Man Cards for millions of Americans, and the wussification of our nation.  The penultimate evolution of this process is the brewing of Kopi Luwak, or jungle cat excrement.  The most expensive quoffee in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

This is not to be confused with the super-manly consumption of espresso, a highly concentrated form of self caffination, with density of caffeine delivery estimated at 5x the normal brewed quoffee.  Still un reconciled is the manliness of the small demitasse cups in which espresso is brewed.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2015, 05:22:42 PM »
MMMMMMMMMM, coffee good, foo foo coffee bad

Little cream and sugar I can understand. But if I want a lemon pecan latte with sprinkles and foam, I'll just get a shake or something,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

(helmet on flack suit on)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »
JR, have you had your testosterone levels tested?  No good can come of that....jus sayin...

BTW, what was this thread about?  How is it getting DOTTED up without Kenneth?

Offline Flatlander

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2015, 06:48:46 PM »
I see them now....

hmmm. Coffee. 

Or more colloquially known, quoffee, is a liquid beverage made by steeping the ground up Quoffee bean in hot water, also known as "brewing".  This is the primary delivery system for the main nutritional element for Real Men, caffeine. Real Men, consume copious amounts, always black.  Black referring to the unadulterated brew, meaning no testosterone sapping cream or sugar.  Be on the lookout for a counterfeit version, known as de-caf, in which a the beans undergo a process of removal of the main ingredient, caffeine.  Known in many circles as "why bother?" de-caf coffee is akin to hiring a neutered bull for stud services on a ranch.

A late 20th century development is an offshoot of the coffee movement in which hoity toity girly men, and women (sorry I repeat myself), create various abominations of coffee based drinks, known as lattes, cappuccino, iced coffee, etc.  This has led to the revocation of Man Cards for millions of Americans, and the wussification of our nation.  The penultimate evolution of this process is the brewing of Kopi Luwak, or jungle cat excrement.  The most expensive quoffee in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

This is not to be confused with the super-manly consumption of espresso, a highly concentrated form of self caffination, with density of caffeine delivery estimated at 5x the normal brewed quoffee.  Still un reconciled is the manliness of the small demitasse cups in which espresso is brewed.

Now this how to DOT it up. ^^^^^^ !

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »
Mmmmmmm.  Quoffee!!!
My favourite beverage.
Now I do like to cut mine with baileys.

I think this is acceptable...correct me if I'm wrong.

Now espresso, now there's a whole new level of awesome.
I prefer mine in a normal quoffee cup, filled.
And that is a super load of carfeine.

And heck, where is Ken?
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2015, 07:40:24 PM »
Yes, in reviewing the back of the man card, I do believe there is an exception for Bailey's if the temperature outside is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2015, 08:00:01 PM »
Now a little adult beverage added, I can go for that!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2015, 08:54:25 PM »
Mmmmmmm.  Quoffee!!!
My favourite beverage.
Now I do like to cut mine with baileys.

I think this is acceptable...correct me if I'm wrong.

Now espresso, now there's a whole new level of awesome.
I prefer mine in a normal quoffee cup, filled.
And that is a super load of carfeine.

And heck, where is Ken?

Did he say Bailey's?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2015, 08:58:26 PM »
Yes, in reviewing the back of the man card, I do believe there is an exception for Bailey's if the temperature outside is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Or above 50 as well...I think...
Not sure, but with regards to helicapeter flyin' in hot places, one can simulate the cold, and thereby allow the use of baileys by cranking all the AC's to max for awhile.
It worked in Kandahar...Baghdad...Kirkuk...Kabul...Down there at Salerno, over in Heart, yes definitely worked in Heart. Heck it even worked that way up near Uzbekistan...and Dubai...and a few other places...

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »
You guys sure messed up this thread. :shakeshead

Bailey's+hunting= :)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2015, 09:45:18 PM »
Like Tom Bodett, we were just keeping the lights on for ya!

I hope we lived up to your reputation.....

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2015, 11:33:48 PM »
Hey, when the kids get coco, I break out the schnapps.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2015, 11:37:33 PM »
You guys sure messed up this thread. :shakeshead

Bailey's+hunting= :)

Depends on your point of view,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »
OK BACK ON TARGET

I have the engine back together, most of the time was spent cleaning/prepping everything.  The reman head I got from Cummins was a Brazil Casting but I have never heard of them giving problems so I am going to run it.  The Head Gasket is made in China, but I looked at the boxes for the Head bolts and they are USA and England.

I prepped up the Block, Cummins recommends 400grit sand paper with a sanding block, before I did that I went over everything with a razor blade.  I also  ran a tap down all the holes for the head bolts, if you do this remember to plug up the oil holes and push rod holes. Otherwise all the crud from the retapping process will end up in there.  Be very careful lowering the head back down on the block not to damage the head gasket.  Once the head is back in place re-instll the pushrods making sure the rod in seated in the tappet and they should go back in the hole they came from.  Then you install the rocker arms and then all of the head bolts.   I dipped the threads of the Head bolts in fresh engine oil and sunged them up.  I followed the book and took the bolts to 90ftlbs and then from there I went in 5lb increments to 125ftlbs for all the bolts.

After that its pretty much the reverse of removal for everthing else.  Bleed the fuel system and started it up.  I let everything get up to temp and took the truck around the block once and then checked for leaks and noises.  So far everything looks good but I haven’t have it out on the freeway yet.

One thing I have noticed is I seem to be getting a lot more blowby now but I didn’t look at it before the tear down so I am not sure if it is a problem yet, I am thinking I have a vacuum leak somewhere I want to go over everything and check the obvious before I come to any conclusions and put a couple hundred miles on it and see if the problem is still there. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:13:27 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2015, 01:15:37 PM »
Right before install, more to come all I have time for.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »
Looks great!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal