Hello Guest

Author Topic: John Steinbeck  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
John Steinbeck
« on: August 27, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »
Just found this, written by John Steinbeck, famous author...Of Mice and Men...The Pearl...

On 7 January 1967, Steinbeck was at Pleiku, where he flew aboard a UH-1 Huey helicopter with D Troop, 1st Squadron, 10th Cavalry. He wrote the following about the helicopter pilots:

“I wish I could tell you about these pilots. They make me sick with envy. They ride their vehicles the way a man controls a fine, well-trained quarter horse. They weave along stream beds, rise like swallows to clear trees, they turn and twist and dip like swifts in the evening. I watch their hands and feet on the controls, the delicacy of the coordination reminds me of the sure and seeming slow hands of (Pablo) Casals on the cello. They are truly musicians’ hands and they play their controls like music and they dance them like ballerinas and they make me jealous because I want so much to do it. Remember your child night dream of perfect flight free and wonderful? It’s like that, and sadly I know I never can. My hands are too old and forgetful to take orders from the command center, which speaks of updrafts and side winds, of drift and shift, or ground fire indicated by a tiny puff or flash, or a hit and all these commands must be obeyed by the musicians hands instantly and automatically. I must take my longing out in admiration and the joy of seeing it. Sorry about that leak of ecstasy, Alicia, but I had to get it out or burst.”
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: John Steinbeck
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
Love me some Steinbeck. That guy can paint literal pictures with words. I read his books in color.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

OldKooT

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 04:30:35 PM »
Yeah he was the real deal. Even if a bit communist and left on many subjects. I have always admired his ability to allow the mind to see his story.

I often chuckle, they use his work in so many "classes" regarding the art of fiction and writing in general. Yet he was once quoted as mentioning he felt there was no set way to teach someone to pen a compelling novel. In fact he often seemed confused on how he did it LoL

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 05:48:40 PM »
That is very cool. So whatchasayin Don? That he wouldn't have waxed so eloquently if he was speaking about a platoon sloggin' through the mud?  :)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:54:36 PM »
That is very cool. So whatchasayin Don? That he wouldn't have waxed so eloquently if he was speaking about a platoon sloggin' through the mud?  :)
They'd never have gotten that guy on a patrol out with the skitters and the ninjas
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:18:18 AM »
Felt inspired-

Take seat and let me tell you about these grunts. I never knew of these unadulterated battles until I bared witness from their intimate perspective. They hump their packs over hill and dale as sure-footed as the wisest mountain pack mule. They traipse through water and mire clandestine to the most skilled tracker as they recon the nights patrol base. I watch them utilize the tools of their craft in consternation. Their rifles, their mortars; their machine guns speak to each other in symphony. They are the nightmare of battle. The proficiency with which they engage in combat tests the tenacity of the hardest insurgent.  They are truly artisans of death dealing. For this I am at a loss for words because one of them I could never be. My hands would not guide my rifle to fire fast enough and my feet would not carry me to cover soon enough. The trained ear of the infantryman guides his eyes to the sound of gunfire and through his iron sights he visualizes the fall of his foe and so they do fall… one by one… by one. Until the resolve of the last enemy fighter has been conquered the infantryman will stand. If he falls, which is uncommon, one more will stand in his place without the slightest cease of report from a rifle. There is no joy in witnessing the work of the infantryman. However, I must admit, I wept with admiration for these men, for they are cut from the rarest of cloth.
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 03:20:40 AM »
Felt inspired-

Take seat and let me tell you about these grunts. I never knew of these unadulterated battles until I bared witness from their intimate perspective. They hump their packs over hill and dale as sure-footed as the wisest mountain pack mule. They traipse through water and mire clandestine to the most skilled tracker as they recon the nights patrol base. I watch them utilize the tools of their craft in consternation. Their rifles, their mortars; their machine guns speak to each other in symphony. They are the nightmare of battle. The proficiency with which they engage in combat tests the tenacity of the hardest insurgent.  They are truly artisans of death dealing. For this I am at a loss for words because one of them I could never be. My hands would not guide my rifle to fire fast enough and my feet would not carry me to cover soon enough. The trained ear of the infantryman guides his eyes to the sound of gunfire and through his iron sights he visualizes the fall of his foe and so they do fall… one by one… by one. Until the resolve of the last enemy fighter has been conquered the infantryman will stand. If he falls, which is uncommon, one more will stand in his place without the slightest cease of report from a rifle. There is no joy in witnessing the work of the infantryman. However, I must admit, I wept with admiration for these men, for they are cut from the rarest of cloth.

This has been a PSA from a grunt.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:23:33 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 04:39:26 AM »
HC that was very well said.

OldKooT

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 06:59:59 AM »
Steinbeck was actually wounded in the taking of an island or two from the Germans in the Med during WW2 FWIW

And well said Bobby

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 07:24:24 AM »
You guys crack me up...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 08:40:08 AM »
Great job there HC.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 09:03:11 AM »

Steinbeck was actually wounded in the taking of an island or two from the Germans in the Med during WW2 FWIW

And well said Bobby

He was a correspondent right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Molon Labe!

OldKooT

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 10:06:45 AM »
Back in school long ago I did a paper on him. Think he was part of that Time Life deal..he participated in some real deal Island invasions as a corespondent I believe. He was given a weapon, and he did suffer shrapnel wounds on two occasion if memory serves me correctly in WW2

He also was involved at the front lines of Vietnam at age 64 also. He wrote some interesting stuff regarding those times. http://www.npr.org/books/titles/150893547/steinbeck-in-vietnam-dispatches-from-the-war

He showed a great deal of stones in his years as a war corespondent, and he gave us some great fiction regarding the Depression, and again during the post war days.

I am no expert of the fella, not in the slightest. But I do appreciate his ability to pen a story.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 06:59:54 PM »
HC- just how often do you get "reprimanded" for filling out reports with similar eloquence?  I know I've filled out a few behavior reports with creative verbage a time or two- just wondering if you get to sip in a few, "street corner pharmacist" type giggles.

YOU could be a writer should you desire- nicely done there HC, or should we say "Blainebeck"?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 07:05:33 PM »
I like it. waxing poetic their, very good job sir.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Haha! Thanks guys! I'm not sure where it comes from. After some events in my own life, here and over there, I found it very therapeutic to free write. I have a running note in my phone of ideas or topics to write about some day... But when something "moves me", I often find time to knock out a few lines. I honestly used to be kind of shy about it. My wife is actually the one who encourages me to share the less sinister stuff. Sometimes you gotta let your demons out. I have often thought about starting a program of sorts that encourages those who suffer from PTSD to write their hearts out. It's pretty liberating, for me anyways, to put it on paper. You can almost feel yourself tingle as you let it go. You can in a sense put your nightmares on a thumb drive and stick them in your safe. And it doesn't have to be incredibly elegant. Sentence structure grammar and punctuation are all irrelevant. It's toxic, corrosive and damaging when you hold on to it. It may not work for everyone, obviously, but if it works for a few that's awesome.

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 09:40:15 PM »

HC- just how often do you get "reprimanded" for filling out reports with similar eloquence?  I know I've filled out a few behavior reports with creative verbage a time or two- just wondering if you get to sip in a few, "street corner pharmacist" type giggles.

YOU could be a writer should you desire- nicely done there HC, or should we say "Blainebeck"?

It really depends on my mood and the type of report! I've been doing this long enough, I don't think my bosses even read my reports anymore! Lol! But I do from time to time paint a picture. Especially when describing use of force incidents.

Molon Labe!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 08:28:58 AM »
now that would be funny to read one of those.................;D  just sayin
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal